6.8 SPC Forums banner

WOA 6.8 and Sierra HP does the job!

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Clint 
#1 ·
It was just last week that I finally put together the coyote load I was looking for and it all paid off late yesterday with my first 6.8 coyote!
She's a female that came in 40 minutes into the stand. Lip squeaked her in to within 100 yds. She was facing me just slightly at an angle. Put the Weaver V3 cross hair on her chest and squeezed the trigger.
The 90gr Sierra entered her chest just left of center and exited mid body. I was surprised to find that there was hardly any blood on the entrance or exit holes and little external damage. She was DRT and no tracking was needed. I didn't do an autopsy so I don't know for sure what the internal damage was but I expect the lungs and heart were damaged since there was no blood to speak of.
Thanks again to all you guys for all your help and answering all my gun and reloading questions.

See less See more
#3 ·
I had to really look for the holes in the coyote just to find them but the Sierra must have worked good because she didn't bark, run, spin or anything. Just hit the ground and kicked once or twice.
I used the Sierra only because it was slightly more accurate than the Speer. The Speer is constructed with a lighter jacket so it might expand better.

#4 ·
First very nice kill!!!

On the TNT load out to 2.305. That is where it really likes to be. The TNT has a significantly better BC. This will give you a higher impact velocity and the thinner jacket will tend to explode. The Sierra HP actaully has worse efficiency (lower BC) as it gos up in velocity. Check out the Sierra numbers. This is typical of bullets with large HP cavities.. All Sierra bullets have a thicker then most of their counter parts from other companies. IIRC their SMK jackets is 2x thicker then the J4s for instance.

#6 ·
hdglock said:
Nice job..

What part of NC are you in? The coyote numbers seem to be rising here
I live between Gastonia and Shelby and heard my first howl around here about 5-6 years ago. Even now I only hear howling every once in awhile but, the coyote population is now getting strong enough that sightings are becoming pretty common with farmers and deer hunters. Most people around here don't even know that there's coyotes around. That's good for me and my hunting partner though, less hunters = less hunting pressure. :D

Where are you in NC?

#7 ·
Tim_W said:
First very nice kill!!!

On the TNT load out to 2.305. That is where it really likes to be. The TNT has a significantly better BC. This will give you a higher impact velocity and the thinner jacket will tend to explode. The Sierra HP actaully has worse efficiency (lower BC) as it gos up in velocity. Check out the Sierra numbers. This is typical of bullets with large HP cavities.. All Sierra bullets have a thicker then most of their counter parts from other companies. IIRC their SMK jackets is 2x thicker then the J4s for instance.
You're right Tim I do want to use the best bullet for the job and the TNT is better for predator hunting. Looks like the Sierra bullet with it's thicker jacket would work well on whitetail.
I experimented a little more with the TNT OAL using the CP mag late yesterday. With some trial and error I squeezed 2.295" OAL into the mag. At that length the cartridges move freely in the magazine and function without any problems.
Lastly, to simulate hunting I waited until the barrel was completely cool and then fired 3 final shots using 28.7 grains of H4198 and the TNT seated at my max OAL.
They clustered into a .95" group with the first two touching. That's pretty good since I was only using a little Weaver 1X3 at 100 yds. The reason for the Weaver is for the wide FOV and quick shots at moving targets, not shooting paper. It's now more accurate than I can be during actual hunting conditions anyway. :D
Whenever I get some extra cash I have to get one of the new style PRI mags if I can find a 10 round anywhere.

#8 ·
houser52 said:
hdglock said:
Nice job..

What part of NC are you in? The coyote numbers seem to be rising here
I live between Gastonia and Shelby and heard my first howl around here about 5-6 years ago. Even now I only hear howling every once in awhile but, the coyote population is now getting strong enough that sightings are becoming pretty common with farmers and deer hunters. Most people around here don't even know that there's coyotes around. That's good for me and my hunting partner though, less hunters = less hunting pressure. :D

Where are you in NC?
You can set you watch by these here, 2am every morning until I get my can anyway :twisted: Ghillie and NVD standing by

#10 ·
jackh said:
nice kill and nice gun. whered you get that camo coloring? it looks sweet!
The camo is Realtree Max-1 Silent Weave clothes from Cabela's. I've also ordered Max-1 camo tee shirts from Bass Pro because they fit me better.

#11 ·
Nice coyote, let us know if you shoot the tnt's how they do on coyotes.

#13 ·
Congrats, my friend!!!

See that, I've taken on the quest for a coyote round myself. I've got a box of the TNT's and will pick up some Sierra's shortly. If you'd like to give this rookie some tips andf tricks on your loads... I'M ALL EARS!!!

#15 ·
that just looks like camo duck tape....

#17 ·
:lol: :lol: I thought you meant the camo clothes. The gun camo is Realtree Max-4, Hunter Specialties vinyl tape. It holds up pretty well and doesn't leave a residue like duct tape.
I'd like to paint it someday if I ever get the nerve. :oops:

#18 ·
houser52 said:
I'd like to paint it someday if I ever get the nerve. :oops:
Painting is wicjed easy, duck tape the stuff you dont want paint to get to, degrease the areas you want to paint throw down a lighter base color, like a brown or whatever then throw on some other darker colors of your fancy and walla your done...

and if you dont like it repaint it :D

#19 ·
Nice Job!

Those frontal shots can be tough sometimes,
but you cant argue with DRT!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.