6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have an update on my Winchester 115 grain XP ammo and thats that I finally cancelled my order from OPTICS PLANET I figured that kept on advancing the delivery date - So I found the CBB web site which is the Cavity Back Bullets and ordered two box's of loaded 105 grain, factory loaded ammo, apparently they just started producing them and I just got lucky...I called them today and they said they were in stock and mine should be shipped on Monday, guess we will see..
You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I saw some sitting on the shelf at Scheel's in Lincoln, NE a few weeks ago.

If you're looking for a new factory round to use for hunting, the Hornady 120gr SST round is devastating on deer. My son dropped a huge doe at 150yds with it, DRT. Never had to track her.
That's was the Texas Hog Hunter's preferred 6.8 SPC bullet, he also liked MKZ and Makers as well. All of them 120's I believe. I do not believe I've seen bad performance from 120gr SST. If you don't care about over penetration, it would even be a devastating home defense load (maybe for a SHTF load), my gel testing showed a neck length of only about 1 inch, starts to frag just as early as 110gr VMax, TTSX or 110gr AB and earlier than 110gr OTM.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's was the Texas Hog Hunter's preferred 6.8 SPC bullet, he also liked MKZ and Makers as well. All of them 120's I believe. I do not believe I've seen bad performance from 120gr SST. If you don't care about over penetration, it would even be a devastating home defense load (maybe for a SHTF load), my gel testing showed a neck length of only about 1 inch, starts to frag just as early as 110gr VMax, TTSX or 110gr AB and earlier than 110gr OTM.
I actually have some older SSA 90gr and some "newer" 90gr TNT factory loaded rounds for home defense. I'm working on a 6.8 pistol build for the house, once I figure out which length barrel I want so I can run unsuppressed or suppressed.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I went on the Winchester website to check out this new XP bullet for the 6.8. I didn't find any reviews referencing 6.8 SPC. However, I have never seen so many negative reviews on ammo. Winchester must have had significant production problems. Rounds that wouldn't chamber, failures to fire, separated cases, too much meat damage, no expansion, etc. Sounds like brass/headspace was all over the map. $30 a box doesn't seem like a bargain.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes.

Never tried it in 6.8. I liked it in .308 That was a few years ago. I liked in 6.5 CM too. None of those had problems either.

I did have some problems with some Winchester white box 40 s&w. Whatever powder was in those cases ate through a couple of them. They had been sealed and stored about 6 or 7 years. Had to toss the whole 50.

I hope Winchester gets it together. They opened up at all ranges as close as 25 .

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
As loonybin reported seeing the Winchester 115gr XP at Scheel's last Fall, I can confirm they still have plenty in stock. I purchased a box for $35 ($5 cheaper than Midway) just to do some terminal performance testing. Accuracy was the big disappointment for me with group size from 1.75 to 3 MOA at 100 yards with 3 different rifles that seemed to get worse at 200 yards. Has anyone else shot this round? What was your accuracy? Detailed testing results are in the link below.

6.8 SPC Bullet Performance

Reactions: Yamaraja
21 - 29 of 29 Posts