6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently places a back order with Optics Planet for 2 Box's of Winchester 6.8 SPC XP ammo, I can't find much information on this factory loaded ammo. As a matter of fact I didn't know Winchester even offered it, anyway just wondered if anyone had any experience at all with this ammo ...I'm shooting it in a buffalo upper with an 18 inch 1:11 twist stainless steel Barrel ..also have a 6.8 SPC JP upper with a 16 inch 1:9.5 twist steel barrel...Looking for ammo that will do a decent job on Deer at 200 yards and produce a good blood trail..I've killed 12 Deer with the older Silver State Armory Ammo but thats about gone now and looking for a replacement...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I could be wrong but I don’t think that the XP in 6.8 has hit the shelves yet. It was just announced to the public a few months ago and I’m sure the ammo situation has held up production.

If you’re looking for a good deer round and you don’t reload, Cavity Back Bullets has started selling loaded ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the xp is the Extreme Point it is a new offering in 6.8. I have seen deer taken with a 308 in this round and performance was very good. Shot was about 280 yds with full penetration. Deer went about 5 steps and folded up. Couldn't find the bullet but exit wound was impressive.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I recently places a back order with Optics Planet for 2 Box's of Winchester 6.8 SPC XP ammo, I can't find much information on this factory loaded ammo. As a matter of fact I didn't know Winchester even offered it, anyway just wondered if anyone had any experience at all with this ammo ...I'm shooting it in a buffalo upper with an 18 inch 1:11 twist stainless steel Barrel ..also have a 6.8 SPC JP upper with a 16 inch 1:9.5 twist steel barrel...Looking for ammo that will do a decent job on Deer at 200 yards and produce a good blood trail..I've killed 12 Deer with the older Silver State Armory Ammo but thats about gone now and looking for a replacement...
Interesting, I knew Winchester was going to make 6.8 SPC, but I haven't seen any and haven't heard much about it. I'll have to see it I can preorder some of that. Is it standard 6.8 SPC or the SPC II stuff?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think that the XP in 6.8 has hit the shelves yet. It was just announced to the public a few months ago and I'm sure the ammo situation has held up production.

If you're looking for a good deer round and you don't reload, Cavity Back Bullets has started selling loaded ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would expect CabityBack's hot factory loads to take down just about anything, monolithics typically do reasonably well in all game because of their consistent expansion and these are loaded for CB by Druid Hill to what essentially amounts to a NATO spec load or + P load.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Interesting, I knew Winchester was going to make 6.8 SPC, but I haven't seen any and haven't heard much about it. I'll have to see it I can preorder some of that. Is it standard 6.8 SPC or the SPC II stuff?
That's the big question...did they neuter the load because of the SPC I chambers which are almost non-existent at his point....so sad, so much fuss over something so dumb. Why not just like SPC II only on the box and cater to 99% of the market running SPC II, ARP or Bison chambers?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Winchester has been recalling a lot of ammo lately (mostly 9mm), so I doubt that they will chance loading the 6.8 SPC beyond the SAAMI spec. There have been too many improved SPC chambers, each being a little different. There were two "SPC II" chamber drawings from Pacific Tool, one with a sharp neck-to-freebore angle and one without (both have the same revision date, which adds to the confusion). I think that Noveske and possibly others had their own variations. ThELion already mentioned the ARP and Bison chambers, which have shorter freebores than SPC II. If I remember correctly, both ARP and Bison have used multiple chamber geometries over the years.

It is generally agreed that the oversized freebore of the the original SPC II chamber (which was overly long to compensate for the unnoticed sharp-angle problem) reduces the velocity and accuracy with most available ammo. The specific problem that the original SPC II chamber solved was with the soft, copper-plated 115 X-treme bullet. It was important to get that bullet past the sharp angle before it hit the rifling and base began to obturate. Otherwise, the sharp edges would shave off rings of copper, raising pressure and causing feed malfunctions. It was even worse with some chambers that had even sharper angles (again, there was more than one reamer problem). There were problems with other bullet types, but the X-tremes were the worst. X-treme stopped producing that bullet fairly quickly, which is a shame because it was inexpensive.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have used Deer Season XPs in a few calibers (7mm-08, 308, 270) and they are terrific cartridges. Massive exit wounds. I won't say they kill deer any deader than anything else but I'll gladly give them a try in 6.8... IF the velocity is decent. Otherwise good old XM68GD lays the deer down with wonderful efficiency.

The product page says 2625 MV. That's pretty healthy for a 115gr bullet. I am very skeptical.

-Stooxie

·
Registered
391 Posts
I suspect that's with a 24" barrel length which is the moronic standard used commonly. If they test to a shorter length, typically there is a notation. For example, take a look at Horandy's factory load list (attached PDF). If you scroll down to some of the loads I've highlighted, you'll notice that they have special notes for loads tested in shorter barrels, otherwise their standard test length is always assumed to be 24".

I honestly don't know anyone who has a 24" barreled anything. I've seen a few old school rifles in 30 Remington for example with a 22" barrel, but never out to 24 unless it's a dedicated long range rifle like a M700 bull barrel in .308 or WWI/II era bolt gun.

I think the most common hunting rifle barrel lengths are 20" and 18". So it would make MORE sense to make 20" the standard test length for hunting rifle cartridges and 16" for AR-15 cartridges or AK cartridges.

PPU specifies their 115gr BTHP at 2624 FPS, but that's in a 24". Out of my ARP 16" 3R....it achieved a pitiful 2405 FPS...fine for plinking or close range only (I'd say what, 150-200 yards)? It's kind of like the cheap 55gr FMJ of the 6.8 SPC world. Even in my pops ARP 20" 3R barrel, it only achieved 2575 FPS when we got 2661 from 120gr MKZ loaded by DHA....

For some of the 5.56 NATO loadings, they call for 20" test barrel, so that's what you can expect in a full sized AR-15. For that cartridge, I'd say drop a good 100 to 125 FPS at least for a 16".

For 6.5 Grendel, also 24" test barrel length. But for several of the 6.8 SPC loads, they specifically say 16" and anyone who has looked at my chrono data know that's accurate as I get 2584 FPS average from 110gr OTM Hornady factory ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As of today the shipping date for my order of 2 Box's of the Win 6.8 SPC XP ammo is listed as July 17, 2021 but Optic Planets shipping dates change with the weather it seems..but when I do get the Ammo I'll chronograph the speed from my 18 inch barrel and put it on the forum FYI...thanks for your information, interest and reply's

·
Registered
585 Posts
Winchester has been recalling a lot of ammo lately (mostly 9mm), so I doubt that they will chance loading the 6.8 SPC beyond the SAAMI spec. There have been too many improved SPC chambers, each being a little different. There were two "SPC II" chamber drawings from Pacific Tool, one with a sharp neck-to-freebore angle and one without (both have the same revision date, which adds to the confusion). I think that Noveske and possibly others had their own variations. ThELion already mentioned the ARP and Bison chambers, which have shorter freebores than SPC II. If I remember correctly, both ARP and Bison have used multiple chamber geometries over the years.

It is generally agreed that the oversized freebore of the the original SPC II chamber (which was overly long to compensate for the unnoticed sharp-angle problem) reduces the velocity and accuracy with most available ammo. The specific problem that the original SPC II chamber solved was with the soft, copper-plated 115 X-treme bullet. It was important to get that bullet past the sharp angle before it hit the rifling and base began to obturate. Otherwise, the sharp edges would shave off rings of copper, raising pressure and causing feed malfunctions. It was even worse with some chambers that had even sharper angles (again, there was more than one reamer problem). There were problems with other bullet types, but the X-tremes were the worst. X-treme stopped producing that bullet fairly quickly, which is a shame because it was inexpensive.
I believe that APR produced the DRM chamber before the APR chamber, Noveske does have it's own version also.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
As of today the shipping date for my order of 2 Box's of the Win 6.8 SPC XP ammo is listed as July 17, 2021 but Optic Planets shipping dates change with the weather it seems..but when I do get the Ammo I'll chronograph the speed from my 18 inch barrel and put it on the forum FYI...thanks for your information, interest and reply's
I ordered/back ordered some 10mm sometime back in 2020 from Optic Planet. Have totally lost track of the order, if it shows up I guess it'll be a surprise of sorts............

·
Registered
31 Posts
Optics planet went and cancelled an order of Winchester 9mm Nato I’d placed quite a while back saying that they were no longer going to carry it. Personally, I think they just didn’t want to fulfill the order at the price ordered.

I have a hard time believing they won’t carry 9mm NATO in the future.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today is August 6 2021 and my order for TWO box's of 6.8 SPC 115 grain TX ammo from Optic's Planet has not come in, the Delivery date keeps getting moved back by one day each and every day I check, as of today it's Aug 17th ...Also I ordered 900 rounds of Aguila 124 grain 9 mm ammo in January 2021 from Optics Planet for 33 Cents a round and the Delivery Date keeps slipping back each day, as of today the Delivery Date is Aug 19th..I will let you know when any of the ammo shows up..

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw some sitting on the shelf at Scheel's in Lincoln, NE a few weeks ago.

If you're looking for a new factory round to use for hunting, the Hornady 120gr SST round is devastating on deer. My son dropped a huge doe at 150yds with it, DRT. Never had to track her.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have an update on my Winchester 115 grain XP ammo and thats that I finally cancelled my order from OPTICS PLANET I figured that kept on advancing the delivery date - So I found the CBB web site which is the Cavity Back Bullets and ordered two box's of loaded 105 grain, factory loaded ammo, apparently they just started producing them and I just got lucky...I called them today and they said they were in stock and mine should be shipped on Monday, guess we will see..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts