6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting two feeders for deer to put on a property in Kansas. Wanted to hear which ones you like or don't like and why. Plan to put one up for the 6.8 to harvest some deer and the other in a spot that will be good for the bow.

TK

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using Moultree for about 20 years. Their newer models are really nice. I use the 55 gallon programmable battery powered. I had one that lasted about 14 years till the hogs figured out how to collapse a leg and destroyed them all. After I replaced all 4 with the newer models and use t-post hammered into the ground at the same angle as the legs and use automotive hose clamps(3) per leg. They can't flip em now. I do recommend putting silicon around the bolt holes that hold the leg supports to the barrel to keep water out as it will ruin the corn. I also put a larger optional lid on to help keep water out as I live in Louisiana and it rains a lot. The battery life is super great on the latest models. In the off season I program it to throw corn for 4 seconds 2 times daily and 6-8 seconds in the morning right before sunrise and 4 seconds around 2 pm unless I have corn on the ground from the morning throw. Just my opinion and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just make sure you go with a 55 Gallon or larger if you can find it.

do not get the 5 gallon bucket feeder. The least amount of time you spend at the site the better. You don't want to be going every week to fill it up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just make sure you go with a 55 Gallon or larger if you can find it.

do not get the 5 gallon bucket feeder. The least amount of time you spend at the site the better. You don't want to be going every week to fill it up.
Are yours metal? The ones I'm finding are the plastic 30gal ones by Moultrie.

TK

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using Moultree for about 20 years. Their newer models are really nice. I use the 55 gallon programmable battery powered. I had one that lasted about 14 years till the hogs figured out how to collapse a leg and destroyed them all. After I replaced all 4 with the newer models and use t-post hammered into the ground at the same angle as the legs and use automotive hose clamps(3) per leg. They can't flip em now. I do recommend putting silicon around the bolt holes that hold the leg supports to the barrel to keep water out as it will ruin the corn. I also put a larger optional lid on to help keep water out as I live in Louisiana and it rains a lot. The battery life is super great on the latest models. In the off season I program it to throw corn for 4 seconds 2 times daily and 6-8 seconds in the morning right before sunrise and 4 seconds around 2 pm unless I have corn on the ground from the morning throw. Just my opinion and good luck.

I hope to get 14 seasons from a feeder. Cows are going to be my problem. But a extra fence will fix that. In the late season all my pictures were cow butts.

TK

·
Registered
15 Posts
They come with a "D" cell battery adapter as well which comes in handy. Sometimes Lantern batteries are hard to find. I also use some of the rechargeable batteries but I have had a burnt timer form I guess over charged batteries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to put corn as we least paper company property and I have never shot a deer with a pinecone in its mouth or pine needles. Winter time with all of the wild hogs we have there is not much for them to eat. We plant food plots too

·
Registered
232 Posts
We have gone to On-time elites. All mechanisms will eventually fail and they are super fast to replace and get going again. Living in Louisiana and hunting in Texas means we aren't always there to service quickly. The d-shaft on their funnel means a mechanism can be swapped in 2 minutes. They are lifetime warranty also. It may not be important to you, but with multiple feeders and 2500 acres, we don't have feeders down long

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you can get access to some I'd just get some 55 gallon drums from a warehouse or company that's has empties. That's what we use at our lease. I personally use the Moultrie leg brackets with some pipe and t post anchoring the legs. Use a Moultrie 12 volt battery feeder kit with a homemade wire ****/squirrel guard and solar panel with a feeder funnel so all the corn disperses. Those help that way you don't have 6 inches of corn left in the feeder and not throw when you are hunting it. Also a 2 strand fence to keep the cows out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also forgot to mention to deep six the telescopic legs that come with the Moultree feeders and use a metal pipe that fits over the leg mount stobs on the feeder. Pigs and or cows just lean on them and they collapse

·
Registered
120 Posts
Digital...

Digitals seem to work best and AA battery packs(On-Time) last longer than lantern style batteries unless you put solar panels on them. We use mostly OT, AH, and MT. None seem to be better than the other, but the older analog timers are a constant hassle. The AH analogs lasted much, much longer than OTs. All of our OTs with analog(probably a dozen) only last about a year. The OT Elite as mentioned are digital. Also, on the previous post about OT having a LT wtty, that's no longer true. They still say they have a wtty, but they make you buy the parts now. OT is a local company here, so it's easy to drop off the broken fdrs(about 8 a year) and it usually ends up costing around $10 each to repair. I keep a few extra units to make repairs myself between units until I'm out of parts, then take them in. The beauty with the OT is ease of replacement due to the shaft/set screw design(they need it lol). IMO after running dozens of fdrs on many properties, AH digital 6v spinners are the best for the money. You can buy them for about $26ea when SG puts them on sale.

We went to winch up style feeders due to bears and hogs. Boss Buck sells the tripod heads that accept 1-5/8" OD pipe. We buy the pipe from fence repair Cos, the old top rails are Sch 40 galv 1-5/8OD.

Materials needed for a winch up tripod 55gal fdr:
-Boss Buck tripod header($49 online)
-Boat winch with steel cable(ebay $20)
-HD pulley($5 for 4k at Harbor Freight)(You have the boss buck pulley and the pulley at the hanger to lessen the crank effort and increase safety)
-55gal drum with removable lid($20ea locally)
-55gal BBL hanger(many online, I make my own with chain and a 3/4" emt spreader)
-55gal BBL funnel(many online, I make my own out of galv tin)
-Three 1-5/8" OD 16.5' steel pipe($5ea from a scrap pile if you can find them)
-Two Ubolts to attaché winch to one leg
-Three 2.5' pieces of 3/4" EMT etc to drive next to each leg for anchors(hogs) We usually attach with a bunch of wraps of bailing wire

My cousin takes a different approach by buying one 20' stick of drill stem type pipe, cutting 3' off, welding the short piece at a 90 on the top, welding on a pulley, adding a boat winch, then cementing them in the ground about 3'.

Here's one of my last:

I'm pretty convinced that gravity fdrs work better for "feeding" game, but they empty 55gal shortly so it's quite expensive. We run a couple 1/2ton cattle style gravity fdrs that last a while, but they are pretty pricey to fill.

Oh yeah, the hanging fdrs keep the ***** and squirrels at bay as well. If you run a std tripod, be sure to put 3-4" PVC sewer line on the legs to keep the ***** at bay:

All you have to do is cut the pipe about 2.5' long, drill a small hole in one end, and suspend it half way up the legs. When the ***** try to get on the pipe it spins and they fall off. It's the only **** proofing we've had work.

Good Luck,

loder

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gravity...

These gravity feeders are easy to make, but not sure I'd want to run them long distance. They'll eat 300lbs every 3 weeks when the winter sets in. I get about 6 weeks in the fall. You have to make the trough fairly high if hogs are present, the deer can reach the trough higher than you would think:

The deer like them pretty well:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been using On Time Game Feeders for YEARS!! Solid metal and have been very durable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts