6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done any experimenting with wildcatting the 7.62x39 cartridge. Just curious if there is anything out there with a different body taper, shoulder angle or something that could be done with a reamer. Bored and need a project.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Anyone done any experimenting with wildcatting the 7.62x39 cartridge. Just curious if there is anything out there with a different body taper, shoulder angle or something that could be done with a reamer. Bored and need a project.
6.5G? Ha! same bolt face diam if I remember correctly,220 Russian is a necked down x39, 9x39, 6mmAR
see if 1stmarine has done anything, he's pretty deep into wildcats

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6.5G? Ha! same bolt face diam if I remember correctly,220 Russian is a necked down x39, 9x39, 6mmAR
see if 1stmarine has done anything, he's pretty deep into wildcats
I looked at that but was wanting to keep the original barrel and just ream the chamber or something. I guess a major hurdle would be that it is .311 instead of .308 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I looked at that but was wanting to keep the original barrel and just ream the chamber or something. I guess a major hurdle would be that it is .311 instead of .308 if I remember correctly.
yea, not sure on that one

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes there are "7.62x39 Improved" wildcats which is a regular 7.62 and fire formed to remove the taper and increase the shoulder angle. The OAL remains identical.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes there are "7.62x39 Improved" wildcats which is a regular 7.62 and fire formed to remove the taper and increase the shoulder angle. The OAL remains identical.
That is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder where you would buy the reamer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you remove the body taper, wouldn't you have issues with mags? Not knowing what you are modding just assuming you use something that takes mags. Just a thought before you take the leap. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you remove the body taper, wouldn't you have issues with mags? Not knowing what you are modding just assuming you use something that takes mags. Just a thought before you take the leap. Good luck.
Yea, that could be a problem. It would be in an AR and my thought was that a 6.8 mag might solve that problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder where you would buy the reamer.
I want one also. I don't see serious mag problems, but how would a steel case behave when fired in a Ackley-like chamber?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want one also. I don't see serious mag problems, but how would a steel case behave when fired in a Ackley-like chamber?
Maybe some others with more experience in this area will weigh in. I don't know that it would be any problem as long as it didn't stick in the chamber and fail to extract, even if the case split it is pretty much garbage anyway. That is just my opinion, I wouldn't try it till I have more info.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It can be shot but there really is no benefit to a steel case that can not be reloaded. The performance gain is achieved after fire forming a brass case.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It can be shot but there really is no benefit to a steel case that can not be reloaded. The performance gain is achieved after fire forming a brass case.
I agree, but my comment concerns the possibility of a steel-case round splitting in the larger chamber, dumping the gas into who knows where.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I agree, but my comment concerns the possibility of a steel-case round splitting in the larger chamber, dumping the gas into who knows where.
If you are worried about steel cases splitting in a modified chamber then don't shoot them . Seems simple

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
You could neck it down to .264 caliber and then go by the metric caliber 6.5 and....

My mister Mod. What a BIG Hammer you have there...:a24:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The other major problem is the bolt. In the AK, it isn't a problem, but when you try to run the x39 bolt face in an AR, it doesn't hold up and has a tendency to lose lugs. That's one of the reasons Harrison at ARP stopped selling barrels for the 7.62x39.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts