6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a box of the now-discontinued Sierra 90gr HP along with some 90gr TNT. I currently have some older SSA 90gr ammo for home defense, and am having trouble getting 90gr TNT factory loads to replace them. How do these two compare to each other, and should I just stick with the Sierra since I have some already, maybe even loading these components for home defense? Or should I hold out for the American Eagle 90gr Varmint round and just use these Sierras for practice?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I scored a box of the now-discontinued Sierra 90gr HP along with some 90gr TNT. I currently have some older SSA 90gr ammo for home defense, and am having trouble getting 90gr TNT factory loads to replace them. How do these two compare to each other, and should I just stick with the Sierra since I have some already, maybe even loading these components for home defense? Or should I hold out for the American Eagle 90gr Varmint round and just use these Sierras for practice?
I use the 90 AE's for home defense. Really up to you what you feel comfortable with. The factory AE is reasonably priced, good velocity. Up till eveyone loosing their minds it was my range / no hand load ammo. Hand loads are Cavity Back for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO, might want to watch for XM90GD

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Too much penetration, frankly. This is for my house with family on 3 different floors and no way to get everyone into one room. A bonded bullet like the GD is not what I want.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Too much penetration, frankly. This is for my house with family on 3 different floors and no way to get everyone into one room. A bonded bullet like the GD is not what I want.
Honestly if you can han load cavity back would be best. Otherwise a pistol caliber carbine would be best. Pretty much any stock rifle round is gonna over penetrate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly if you can han load cavity back would be best. Otherwise a pistol caliber carbine would be best. Pretty much any stock rifle round is gonna over penetrate.
That's the nice thing about the Sierra bullet. It didn't when shot from a 16" or longer barrel. It fragments beautifully.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like to see some of those speer tnt in some gel tests. Currently I use a 11.3 barrelled 556. Loaded with hornady 62gr sp.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Like to see some of those speer tnt in some gel tests. Currently I use a 11.3 barrelled 556. Loaded with hornady 62gr sp.
Dont know about gel test. Only found 1 video online, but searching the forum for 90 gr speer there are several post on here about it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
IMHO, might want to watch for XM90GD

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
XM68GD Out of production for a while. You’ll only find New Old Stock. I’m starting to see the cannelures corroding on some of these. If that’s you’re go to round, look for the commercial equivalent once ‘rona scare is gone.

·
Registered
534 Posts
XM68GD Out of production for a while. You’ll only find New Old Stock. I’m starting to see the cannelures corroding on some of these. If that’s you’re go to round, look for the commercial equivalent once ‘rona scare is gone.
Dont think its 'rona anymore. Its the election, or defund the police crap now, or some combination of the three

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you are worried about over penetration go with Hornady v max . Explosive expansion .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts