6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a SSA round preferably in a combat load for my LWRC PSD (8" sbr). RCRandall was gracious enough to suggest the 85gr TSX, but was concerned it was too much penetration for a HD situation. I'm thinking about getting a few boxes of TSX but was looking for another round in a HD application. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
The Hornandy Vmax is a good HD round.

·
Registered
410 Posts
After looking at the ballistics tests the 85's don't penetrate as much as I thought. But it still acts like a bonded round and gets pretty good penetration. Out of the 8" PSD the 85gr TSX was pushing 2678 fps average and I don't know if, at this reduced velocity, the bullet will penetrate further or less. For HD I prefer a fragmenting round, though the speed and bullet performance of the 85gr TSX is hard to pass up, and I agree a Vmax is a good choice. Another will be SSA's 90gr TNT when it is available. The 115gr SSA OTM combat load chono's almost 2200 fps from the PSD and still fragments down to under 2000 fps so it will still be a good round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts