6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
I use both. I use a full length die first then follow up with Lee FCD which is a taper crimp die. Honestly not sure of what you are asking. You have to size the case. A taper crimp die such as the Lee FCD only crimps. That is usually the final step if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use both. I use a full length die first then follow up with Lee FCD which is a taper crimp die. Honestly not sure of what you are asking. You have to size the case. A taper crimp die such as the Lee FCD only crimps. That is usually the final step if you decide to go that route.
I have the Lee FCD but was unsure on using either the RCBS AR series (small dies) or the RCBS full length series. Sounds like your using the full length set along with the Lee factory crimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
You can use either the full length or the small base. I personally use full length dies. I have never had a need for small base dies.

·
Registered
778 Posts
RCBS AR Series are a small base sizing die, meaning when set up according to the instructions, they will resize the case to the minimum dimensions. This is to improve cycling in semi-automatic rifles. Small base resizing is slightly smaller than standard full length resizing. Pros: Increased reliability in adverse conditions. Cons: Increase the working of the brass and shortened case life without annealing.

Most people do not full length size, only bump the shoulder back .002-.005 depending on preference. Pros: reduced working of brass. Cons: Reduced reliability in adverse conditions. Difficulty or inability to chamber in multiple rifles due to chamber size differences (this can be accommodated for by sizing to smallest chamber).

I've done both and made extremely accurate loads with both, but I have replaced my AR series with Full Length Set.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Also, it seems most people choose to forgo the bult in crimp on any set and either don't crimp or use a Lee Factory Crimp die and crimp after seating, not simultaneously.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
RCBS AR Series are a small base sizing die, meaning when set up according to the instructions, they will resize the case to the minimum dimensions. This is to improve cycling in semi-automatic rifles. Small base resizing is slightly smaller than standard full length resizing. Pros: Increased reliability in adverse conditions. Cons: Increase the working of the brass and shortened case life without annealing.

Most people do not full length size, only bump the shoulder back .002-.005 depending on preference. Pros: reduced working of brass. Cons: Reduced reliability in adverse conditions. Difficulty or inability to chamber in multiple rifles due to chamber size differences (this can be accommodated for by sizing to smallest chamber).

I've done both and made extremely accurate loads with both, but I have replaced my AR series with Full Length Set.
Not trying to sound argumentative but "pushing the shoulder back .002-.005" (which is what I do) is still full length sizing to my way of looking at it. It is just not sizing back to factory specs as is the case if you follow the instructions for adjusting the sizing die that comes with it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would guess from a technical look, if the body is sized back to within dimensional specs, it would be considered full length sizing as the "full length" of the case is sized.
Neck sizing only is just what it sounds like, only resizing the neck and leaving the case in it's fire formed dimension.

The chamber on my ARP barreled Savage is set up so tight that I need a true full length resize to get the bolt to close on my mixed brass, but I have resorted to separating it's brass from the gas guns for the most part.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is exactly the info that I was looking for, gentlemen. Thank you all for your inputs. Sounds like the full length dies with the Lee FCD is the way to go. Thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts