6.8 SPC Forums banner

Which Noveske 7.62 upper should I buy? (non-CQB)

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a "heavy" barrel upper to use on my Noveske N6 lower, but not solely for benchrest shooting. Keep in mind that I can order either of these barrels fluted from Noveske. I would like to be able to shoulder-fire it and occasionally go boar hunting with it, but it will mainly be used for precision paper plinking. I already have a 16" 5.56 and am building a 6.8 (16" or 18", not sure yet), so this will be my monster AR.

Here they are: 18" Heavy Stainless and 21" Heavy Stainless

What would you guys recommend? I appreciate your opinions on everything else in this forum!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Definitely Flutted to reduce the weight. I voted for the 18" since you said you were going to be hunting with it.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I agree with Paulosantos.. the fluted 18 is the way to go. You have all the accuracy of the 21 and you're not giving up much real world performance, plus saving a little weight. If you're walking in the field all day, you'll appreciate the 18 fluted IMO.

I have a 24 inch heavy barreled 308 bolt gun that gets very heavy when stalking and hunting. I'm seriously considering having the barrel cut to 18.5 to 20 inches to save some weight and not give up much performance for my needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ArtFWTx said:
... I'm seriously considering having the barrel cut to 18.5 to 20 inches to save some weight and not give up much performance for my needs.
I appreciate all of the above suggestions. The price is the same for both of these uppers, making my decision even tougher.

ArtFWTx, you are suggesting 18" between these two choices, but talking about reducing your own to 18.5" - 20". I've read posts and articles on other forums that 7.62 ammo "needs" 18.5" for a full burn, and I've noticed other companies using 20" barrels. Seems like a lot of experienced 7.62 shooters recommend at least 18.5" to 20" for precision, so I am really at a loss on this one.

Also, would a fluted 21" weigh about what a non-fluted 18" would weigh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts