6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gun oil do you like to use on your 6.8 AR-15?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
If you use the search option, you'll find a multitude of opinions.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re

If you use the search option, you'll find a multitude of opinions.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!
I typed in which oil for AR-15 and got nothing.
I typed in which oil for AR-15 in my browser and got Plenty of info from sites like AR-15.com but none from 68 forums.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Which gun oil do you like to use on your 6.8 AR-15?
Been using CLP for years. I wish I could still get the old original juice. I'm sure that someone will let me know where to get it for a ridiculous price.

I've heard say that Mobil 1 will get the job done. Hard to argue with that, but then again, some folks like to argue.

Silver

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Been using CLP for years. I wish I could still get the old original juice. I'm sure that someone will let me know where to get it for a ridiculous price.

I've heard say that Mobil 1 will get the job done. Hard to argue with that, but then again, some folks like to argue.

Silver
i have a couple of gallons of it, get it fairly regularly when the Guard purges old inventory

·
Registered
690 Posts
lube

this is kind of off track but the army at one point was looking into using motor oil for a weapons lube and transmission fluid as cleaner. it was going to be a one lube for all type thing. don't know any further details. one time we were just jacking around and did use some oil from the dipstick in our vehicles to lube a weapon during an SDM course just to see how well it would work. it worked fine, and the tranny fluid does clean to a degree.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Silver
It is easy to argue based on the price. Mobile 1 is a group 3 hydrocracked crude oil base, just like all of them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
AMSOIL for my Duramax.

Silver
Speaking of over priced.....If you are going to use motor oil, use a synthetic. It can be group 3, 4, or 5. Motor does not flow well when cold. This is why you are told all the engine wear occurs at start up. Synthetics do not get as thick when cold and can still flow and protect. I use products made for firearms. The same CLP sold on the shelf that many others buy.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
Once again... highly subjective. What works in Phoenix, AZ won't work well in the high arctic of Alaska. The moist/salt air on the coast, vs. the inland arid and sandy areas... have different protection requirements.

One must learn to make their own decisions on things to use, based upon their own needs... the environment they are in... etc. etc. etc. Why must everything be "choose by committee?" Do your homework, consider your own needs, make a friggin' decision and learn from it... and formulate an opinion of your OWN based upon your EXPERIENCE. :a05: :a39:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The last 2 years I have been using 10/30 Mobil 1 for everything with Mobil 1 red grease on the bolt lugs.
0* to 100* with no issues.
Before that I used CLP for everything.
I think I get better lubrication with the Mobil 1
I would not use a non-synthetic motor oil unless there was nothing else.
I do still use CLP for all external surfaces and some cleaning.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
re

I suppose after reading everything I can about oils for the AR and seeing how many varying opinions there are ,IT appears as any oil will work ! I will probably Just use some Montana Extreme gun oil I already have for the bolt rails and a LIGHT coat inside the bore for rust protection as the humidity is often 90% plus and Breakfree clp on the outside of the barrel for the same reason.

This is going to be a deer hunting rifle so not alot(if any) mag dumps so I expect that will work.

Thanks to all that shared what you use though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I use whatever is available. Hoppes, Birchwood Casey, RemOil, WD-40, motor oil... literally anything. One time I forgot to bring lube and just spit on the BCG once it started acting up after 4-500 rounds. It wasn't super effective, but did get the rifle running for anther mag or two.

These are not delicate machines. They can withstand a lot more abuse than people give them credit for. And if you're worried about excessive wear but shoot less than 1000 rounds a year, the rifle is still going to last you a lifetime if you only lubed it once a year (corrosion damage aside).

Bottom line is just put some kind of lube on the moving parts and protect the barrel and other steel parts from corrosion. Unless you're in sub zero temps or shooting a few thousand rounds between cleanings, it's probably not going to make a difference.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts