6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some small rifle primers and I'm ready to load some hunting ammo. I'll be using AA2200, CCI 400, 120 gr, SST and I have Winchester, Hornady, and S&B brass. which brass would you use?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I collected quite a bit of S&B ammo, a number of years ago when it was fairly inexpensive, and I have had very good luck re-loading the fired cases. But, I have also had equally good luck using Starline brass, and the only reason I bring that up is because I didn't see it mentioned in any of the posts. Just another option.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I collected quite a bit of S&B ammo, a number of years ago when it was fairly inexpensive, and I have had very good luck re-loading the fired cases. But, I have also had equally good luck using Starline brass, and the only reason I bring that up is because I didn't see it mentioned in any of the posts. Just another option.
I'll have to give a +1 also to Starline brass. Too bad it is impossible get these days. If you are a target/bench shooter, Starline often gives that slight extra fraction of accuracy. I've weighed cases & Starline has a very low variation indicating consistent volumes. I have not found any flash hole burrs or off-center punches - less prep. Reloading longevity seems to be on par with any other brand.

It seems like it has become a given that S&B brass is THE BRASS for the 6.8. I'll agree, its great stuff. But for hunting any headstamp will do, assuming you are not loading to the edge of busting. In various calibers, not just 6.8, I've found Win brass to be the worst. Rough & off-center flash-holes are common. Brand new Win brass often wobbles when rolled on a glass table. A trip through the sizing dies fixes that. More prep. But once loaded, as-is, it is hard to detect any difference in accuracy except by a benchrester!

BTW: I use to keep some Rem LP pocket brass around to test with. It gave me more choices of primer to finely "tune & tweak" a load. I eventually got rid of all LP brass deciding so many variables were driving me nuts!...LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts