6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Akeezy04 said:
Yep the 85gr TSX on the combat load section for 6.8 rounds aren't on there, its only 110gr TSX
Art has said that there is very little difference in pressure with the lighter bullets so they generally are only making one load, which is good in all of the barrels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Sir I was hoping you would pop up on this thread lol. I know you told me the 90gr varmint round stuff was good for HD but I'm looking to get the TSX as a SHTF round. I like how the 85gr expands but I also like the extra penetration the 110gr does. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
410 Posts
By SHTF I guess you are talking about two legged animals? Unless you are hunting elk or bear the 85gr TSX will penetrate plenty deep enough. Hell, at range and with proper shot placement the 85's would likely still take an elk or bear. The 85's are my new go too round. Sure, they may be light by 6.8 standards but since it is a solid copper hollow point they retain weight and penetrate further than a lead core bullet would. Looking at ballistics gel tests, the 85gr TSX penetrates more than the 115 and 110 OTM's and vmax, about the same as the Federal Tactical 62gr BSP that we use for the .223 in LE work which is one of the finest tactical rounds in the world, IMO. And it does this with a bunch more energy, 600 pounds, than the .223. Because of the high velocity (3000 fps) it still retains enough speed to expand at 350 yards (if 2200 fps is the minimum velocity for expansion). Out of my 8.5" PSD it chrono's at 2678 fps which gives the bullet a performance envelope of over 200 yards.

Anyway, that's my opinion. You could always get some of each weight.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I haven't shot it past 50 yards but it is at least MOA at that range. Kind of hard to shoot tight groups with a 4 moa dot. It is, in the very least, minute of felon. I would say SSA ammo on a whole, and with a decent barrel, will outshoot most shooters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sucks about the last of the ammo til end of January I just took a buddy to the airport and was going to have him bring me back about 11 pounds of the 85 gr loads since we cannot order ammo outside the lower 48. I think Ill spend the money on the components instead and roll my own.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I guess I need to start buying all my SSA ammo by the case to keep you guys from buying it all up :D

I think I have around5-6 boxes I was going to use to sight in and test on piggies

·
Registered
207 Posts
SSA will have more 85gr TSX in late Janauary/February 2009. I bought the last 1000 rounds this week...
Art must have got more in. I ordered 5 boxes of the 85gr TSX a couple days ago. Just got a notice that it shipped today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts