6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a couple complete BCGs and wondering what the difference is between 9310 and C-158 steel? the C-158 is a few dollars more but with extra for tax & shipping while the 9310 is about $15 less and i wouldn't have to pay tax or shipping saving me around $30 per.

is there much difference if any noticeable between the two?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I think 9310 has more molybdenum and C-158 and P-6 machine steel is the same and has more nickel and chrome.

I think C-158 has to be bought in larger bulk quantities than 9310 which has also led to more 9310 offerings. From what I understand if done right 9310 is more durable.

I think all my bolts are 9310 except one in a COLT 5.56 gun.

I've read up on it before but not versed on it, I'm sure H can tell us.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think 9310 has more molybdenum and C-158 and P-6 machine steel is the same and has more nickel and chrome.

I think C-158 has to be bought in larger bulk quantities than 9310 which has also led to more 9310 offerings. From what I understand if done right 9310 is more durable.

I think all my bolts are 9310 except one in a COLT 5.56 gun.

I've read up on it before but not versed on it, I'm sure H can tell us.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!
thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
9310 has a better charpy rating which should help to keep the lugs from ripping off the body of the bolt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
From what I understand is what is said above. 158 has to be bought in bulk to make it worth while and affordable. The 9310 is cheaper to buy in smaller quantities. Both from what I have been told, are going to be very similar in quality, durability, and longevity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts