6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new vice from harbor freight. I know they aren't the best but it's a low use type product for me. It has a bunch of packing grease all over and I was wondering the best way to remove it all? I can get the bulk stuff off but there's still that thin layer of residual that is there.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
I would wash it down with brake cleaner. Just grease the screw when you are done.

·
Registered
844 Posts
First choice: spray cans of brake cleaner, scrub with old brush

Second choice: spray can of oven cleaner.

Oven cleaner will also remove most of the paint, but the paint used on many Chinese made vises rubs off on your fingers anyway.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Going to Harbor Freight is a "vice" all on its own, but congrats on the new vise. I often use WD-40, its far less nasty than brake cleaner and you don't have to worry about rust when you are done.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
tried n true heavy grease remover (an cheep) : diesel fuel---leaves a slightly oily residue to help prevent rust when done too ( as it is a fuel oil)

wd-40, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, either, alcohol, paint thinner, MEK, acetone, mineral spirits, gasoline, I could name a few others too--- watch yourself if using something flammable, and wear rubber gloves---some things will remove the paint too, so choose wisely

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would take it to one of those coin operated pressure wand car wash places.

You could easily devote three fourths of the time to the soap and wash and the remaining time to rinse and I'll bet it would get every bit of what you're talking about off of there. You ought to be able to do this for one wash cycle too. $1.50 in my neck of the woods.

Oil it down real good when you get home and you ought to be good to go.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mineral Spirits cheaper by the gallon.
Dries clean removes oil/grease/carbon Dilutes powder leaves surfaces clean and dry.
I use it whenever i have a gun cleaning session.

·
Registered
833 Posts
just got a new vice from harbor freight. I know they aren't the best but it's a low use type product for me. It has a bunch of packing grease all over and I was wondering the best way to remove it all? I can get the bulk stuff off but there's still that thin layer of residual that is there.

Thanks
I destroyed a brand new one a friend brought over to help me remove a u-joint from 78 Jimme drive shaft.. 4 inch Chinese made Vice said "Buffalo" on it.
Put a couple nails thru the holes and he was holding the base as I turned the screw/jaw. No cheater bar just my gloved hands. We just looked at each other when we heard the metal break. Broke into about six pieces. I replaced it with a 3 inch Milwaukee. Had the u-joints done in a shop.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts

You could easily devote three fourths of the time to the soap and wash and the remaining time to rinse and I'll bet it would get every bit of what you're talking about off of there. You ought to be able to do this for one wash cycle too. $1.50 in my neck of the woods.

That is actually maybe the best idea I have heard yet. Probably cost you a buck maybe two at the most.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
That is actually maybe the best idea I have heard yet. Probably cost you a buck maybe two at the most.
I feel like I should buy some cosmoline packed Mosins and do this too. If just for the experience.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I feel like I should buy some cosmoline packed Mosins and do this too. If just for the experience.
Remember the cosmoline song?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Way too funny they are a pain to get that old crap off. It took me a while to get if off mine made in 1925.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
As said, use diesel. Relatively cheap, pretty safe as far as combustible and leaves a coating of light oil. Diesel is combustible and not flammable.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

I used to work in a place where we had a "vacuaprocessor", it was sorta like a a bead blast machine that also had water, it was a pretty cool machine you better have a good grip on the "gun" when you stepped on the "go" pedal, the thing was, when you pulled steel parts out of there, they would rust right before your eyes, clean on wet, would rust literally in seconds, you needed to spray it down with WD-40 or drop in in a bucket of water soluble oil the very instant you pulled it out or you would be putting it back to remove all the rust.
I have a .577/450 Martini Henry at home that has the most recent date of 1907 and came from storage under the royal palace of Nepal, it is covered in dirt and dried yak fat, I am using mineral spirits on the steel parts, but am thinking of making a steam box for the stock to help remove the dents and soften the 130 year old linseed oil.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I used to work in a place where we had a "vacuaprocessor", it was sorta like a a bead blast machine that also had water, it was a pretty cool machine you better have a good grip on the "gun" when you stepped on the "go" pedal, the thing was, when you pulled steel parts out of there, they would rust right before your eyes, clean on wet, would rust literally in seconds, you needed to spray it down with WD-40 or drop in in a bucket of water soluble oil the very instant you pulled it out or you would be putting it back to remove all the rust.
I have a .577/450 Martini Henry at home that has the most recent date of 1907 and came from storage under the royal palace of Nepal, it is covered in dirt and dried yak fat, I am using mineral spirits on the steel parts, but am thinking of making a steam box for the stock to help remove the dents and soften the 130 year old linseed oil.
Where did you get it? I read about those being found. Probably on obummers nonimport list now.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Where did you get it? I read about those being found. Probably on obummers nonimport list now.
Definitely on the list as the large bore, black powder, single shot rifles are the gun of choice for gang bangers and drug kingpins. :a24:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.