6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I obviously have a reason to want the 6.8 to continue to grow. Other than cheap ammo that may never come and reloading supplies, what else do we need? Products? Advertisements? Articles?...accurate articles?

Many members here are good about posting places they have found powder, bullets and brass lets keep that up if we can, it helps everyone. Many are good about helping troubleshoot others problems. That is another good quality about the members here. We may be a little tough on newbies, we may need to soften that up a little.

Ideas to help the 6.8?

Which writer would you like to see do an article on the 6.8? Can we make it happen? Not any specific brand like some in the magazines but the cartridge in general.
Welcome. Ammo has been getting cheaper and there are great specials every so often. We are USUALLY not hard on newbies. When we are, it generally starts with the newbie with an attitude, like asking a question giving very little info on their ammo, rifle specifics, etc. Then getting back a retort because the guys trying to help start asking for the info the newbie should have given to start. Example is claiming an issue with a a new setup with reloads but no details on rifle, barrel, lower setup, what reload, how did he reload, did it function with factory ammo, etc.

Also we appreciate if the newbie had attempted doing a search first because USUALLY it is the same type question asked very often (sometimes a similar question is still active and current). There are many, many posts on ammo (many are in the Stickies, factory and loading on different bullets). Then we get a question like "What ammo should I use?" with no info on his rifle setup, WHAT is his goals (plinking, range (short or long), hunting and for what, does he reload?, accuracy requirement, power (want maximum velocity or factory or lower?), etc. We still try to answer repetitive questions but do not respond well when newbie gets defensive, resents the questions and often do not answer the questions because he has no clue what the question means. We cannot know your knowledge without asking questions so we can offer questions.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
As far as articles go, there are some out there, i.e.
http://ar15hunter.com/fall-6-8-spc-rise-6-8-spc-ii-hunting-round/

One thing that would boost the 6.8 to grow more than it is, IMO is the adoption of the SPEC II chamber by SAAMI.

All the exaggerated numbers and hype is not pushed upon the public with the 6.8 like it's being done with a couple other cartridges. When the 6.8 is mentioned and compared they use the original chamber and numbers as the comparison.

If SAAMI would adopt the SPEC II chamber and the ammo manufacturers followed suit with appropriate ammunition, I believe that could make all the difference.

There still needs to be introduction and advertising to the public because there's still lots of folks that have no clue what a 6.8 SPC is.

If all that came to fruition and the gun manufacturers re-introduced some bolt action offerings it may take off even more.

My Nickels worth

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

One thing that would boost the 6.8 to grow more than it is, IMO is the adoption of the SPEC II chamber by SAAMI.

All the exaggerated numbers and hype is not pushed upon the public with the 6.8 like it's being done with a couple other cartridges. When the 6.8 is mentioned and compared they use the original chamber and numbers as the comparison.

If SAAMI would adopt the SPEC II chamber and the ammo manufacturers followed suit with appropriate ammunition, I believe that could make all the difference.

There still needs to be introduction and advertising to the public because there's still lots of folks that have no clue what a 6.8 SPC is.

If all that came to fruition and the gun manufacturers re-intruded some bolt action offerings it may take off even more.

My Nickels worth

+1 and spot on brother...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I definitely agree with the spcII factory ammo offering. AR's are a huge fad right now and most casual shooter/hunters don't reload. Hornady is already a big supporter of the 6.8, giving more factory options than anyone, but it would really be nice to have something in their supperformance line. I spent a lot of time researching before deciding on the 6.8, but if there was factory spcII ammo, it would have been a no brainier.

BTW, the best thing going for the 6.8 is this website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,540 Posts

If all that came to fruition and the gun manufacturers re-introduced some bolt action offerings it may take off even more.

My Nickels worth

In a few weeks we will be releasing something that will revolutionize the 6.8. I can't talk about it yet, as we are in the middle of final testing, but a lot of the problems you are referring to will see a very serious impact from this development.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In a few weeks we will be releasing something that will revolutionize the 6.8. I can't talk about it yet, as we are in the middle of final testing, but a lot of the problems you are referring to will see a very serious impact from this development.
Who is we?

Silver

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
You must have found the goose that lays golden eggs to fix all that I mentioned and revolutionize the 6.8.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I, for one, would like to see readily available commercial subsonic ammo. The BSP slings supers just fine, but I want some subs!

·
Banned
7,540 Posts
Who is we?

Silver
I think that's self-explanatory. Some folks think we forgot where we started, and some folks even got bitter about our successes with the Wolverine, but, we have been working on this for quite some time and in 3-4 weeks things will come full circle and we will be launching something that will benefit the entire 6.8 community.

3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that's self-explanatory. Some folks think we forgot where we started, and some folks even got bitter about our successes with the Wolverine, but, we have been working on this for quite some time and in 3-4 weeks things will come full circle and we will be launching something that will benefit the entire 6.8 community.

3-4 weeks.
If its that good I want one!
RJ

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts

My Nickels worth

You know LRRpfft is never going to shut up, he's like the Michael Bisping of the gun world. If someone would call all the people he says he knows and ask them everyone would know what a huge liar that guy is.
The performance we are getting and have been getting out of the 6.8 since 2008 is enough proof for me and should be for everyone else. No one is blowing up rifles by loading them to 58,000psi even though Lrrppft has been screaming from the roof tops like chicken little for 5 years or more now.
SPCII acknowledgement by SAAMI may change the game for the last 2 holdouts LMT and whoever else it is but everyone else has been building to the SPCII spec for years. I doubt SAAMI will change the ammo spec to 58K and I doubt Hornady will load to 58k. From my pressure tests it takes about 3000 psi to gain 100fps
I wish people would do their own research and stop believing the BS posted on some of the forums. Regardless of what is posted by some the 300 is slower than a 7.62x39... Done. The precision rifle blog did a survey and found the Grendel isn't used for shooting Precision rifle, scrolling through the winners of the highpower shoots shows there aren't any winning highpower matches or F class shoots. Comparing info from Hornadys own website shows at hunting ranges there is very little difference between the 6.8 and 6.5. If you ask me 4"difference at 350yds doesn't mean jack. Although the grendel crowd will try to show drop from the muzzle to make the 6.5 look better. I mean really, who zero's their rifle at 6" and then computes drop at 350yds?
You are right, there is a lot of hype about other cartridge because major manufacturers are invested in their products and bribe gun writers to write articles about their product. The 6.8 was adopted by a bunch of people, most of the guys that have been right here on this forum since 2007 and brought it to where it is today without any advertising budgets. My proffit margins just don't allow me to have $3000 full page ads in the gun rags that have 10 page articles about something else inside. The best I can do is to continue trying to increase accuracy and performance and hope people notice how well the 6.8 performs as a medium game hunting cartridge.
The fact is MOST that buy an AR buy it for home defense...and blasting, plinking and showing their friends. Most will buy a 5.56. If someone would make a lightweight inexpensive bolt action it could increase the market, what better youth rifle exist?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
You know LRRpfft is never going to shut up, he's like the Michael Bisping of the gun world. If someone would call all the people he says he knows and ask them everyone would know what a huge liar that guy is.
The performance we are getting and have been getting out of the 6.8 since 2008 is enough proof for me and should be for everyone else. No one is blowing up rifles by loading them to 58,000psi even though Lrrppft has been screaming from the roof tops like chicken little for 5 years or more now.
SPCII acknowledgement by SAAMI may change the game for the last 2 holdouts LMT and whoever else it is but everyone else has been building to the SPCII spec for years. I doubt SAAMI will change the ammo spec to 58K and I doubt Hornady will load to 58k. From my pressure tests it takes about 3000 psi to gain 100fps
I wish people would do their own research and stop believing the BS posted on some of the forums. Regardless of what is posted by some the 300 is slower than a 7.62x39... Done. The precision rifle blog did a survey and found the Grendel isn't used for shooting Precision rifle, scrolling through the winners of the highpower shoots shows there aren't any winning highpower matches or F class shoots. Comparing info from Hornadys own website shows at hunting ranges there is very little difference between the 6.8 and 6.5. If you ask me 4"difference at 350yds doesn't mean jack. Although the grendel crowd will try to show drop from the muzzle to make the 6.5 look better. I mean really, who zero's their rifle at 6" and then computes drop at 350yds?
You are right, there is a lot of hype about other cartridge because major manufacturers are invested in their products and bribe gun writers to write articles about their product. The 6.8 was adopted by a bunch of people, most of the guys that have been right here on this forum since 2007 and brought it to where it is today without any advertising budgets. My proffit margins just don't allow me to have $3000 full page ads in the gun rags that have 10 page articles about something else inside. The best I can do is to continue trying to increase accuracy and performance and hope people notice how well the 6.8 performs as a medium game hunting cartridge.
The fact is MOST that buy an AR buy it for home defense...and blasting, plinking and showing their friends. Most will buy a 5.56. If someone would make a lightweight inexpensive bolt action it could increase the market, what better youth rifle exist?
Can I get an Amen?

Me likes ARP

·
Banned
7,540 Posts
I actually think the Wolverine makes a better youth gun when you look at parent case, barrel swap in a .223 Savage, etc.

However, as well all know, the 6.8 has more "boiler room" and is capable of better speeds...

The time and work that went into the 6.8 from inception until now has not been ignored. We all know who the core group of folks were that got it legs.

What we're doing doesn't take away from that at all... just adds to it. It takes everything that has been accomplished so far and well, helps it.

You will like it H.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts