6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with a borrowed Winchester model 94 AE (Angle Eject) with a Weaver fixed 4 power scope and Remington 150 grain core loktes. The first rifle I owned and took my first deer with was a Harrington & Richardson single shot break action chambered in 223 with a Weaver 3x9x40 picture frame scope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Dad and I were in a barbershop in Odessa,Tx. When a man came in with a 94 winchester he wanted to sell. Said he was trying to get a job in Hobbs, NM. He wanted $40 for the rifle. My Dad bought it for me to hunt deer with. A couple of yers later in the same barbershop a man wanted to trade his 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser carbine that he had sporterised for his wife for a 94 Winchester. The deal wa made and I still have the 6.5. Very accurate rifle and short enough to be good in a blind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My first hunting rifle was given to me by my father at the age of 14(2005), it was a NIB Winchester Mo70 in 308 that he bought in the early 80s. First year out I thrashed the wood stock. Now it sits in his safe, wish I was more careful with that rifle. That first year hunting taught me to always hunt with a synthetic stock

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Brand spankin' new Marlin 336C the last year before they put a crossbolt safety on them. Still have it, recipt in the box says $144 and change from Montgomery Wards.

Reactions: 270 and lcso762

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
Remington 700 ADL in .30-06, which I still have. Killed a LOT of meat with that rifle over the years.

Reactions: lcso762

·
Registered
37 Posts
First actual rifle was a [email protected] handi rifle in 25-06 I was 14 and had saved up a year for it. Killed over 50 coyotes with it and probably 15-20 deer witching a year of buying it. Like a young and dumb person I thought, if the cheaper single shot shoots that good(1/4MOA), then if I buy a brand name more expensive one it will shoot better. Keep in mind I was 15 when I traded it for a A-Bolt 270 which was big money to a broke a$$ farm boy. The 270 wouldn’t group for anything, which got me into reloading and my .277 addiction, I should have never traded that 25-06 though.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I didn't even think about deer hunting until I was almost 30 and a gunsmith friend sold me a barreled action that he had traded for. It was a short barreled .243 on a mauser 98 action. Along with the purchase, he agreed to teach me how to sporterize and customize the action. I put it in a Fajen "blemished" stock that I think I paid $30 for and did some file work to the trigger guard and installed a low scope safety and a Timney trigger. I even started out by re-forming military .308 brass that I got for free. (In the military at the time). Still one of my most favorite rifles and a nice shooter.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
First rifle was a mini 30. It was given to me by my older brother. Killed my first deer with it. Still have it and the deer mount to go with it!!
I am one of those guys that never sells any of his guns. I need another safe..😁😁😁

·
Registered
537 Posts
A 1903M1 in 30-06 loaned to me by my girlfriend's father. It looked like it was "sporterized" with an ax. I learned to not over oil a firearm when the firing pin wouldn't strike hard enough at -10°. He then loaned me a Winchester M94 nicknamed "Old Meat in the Pot". I shot my first dear with it, a 200lb 10 point whitetail.

Reactions: JW82 and lcso762

·
Registered
575 Posts
First time my dad took me hunting, it was for squirrel, so I actually used a single shot H & R 20 gauge. First rifle I went deer hunting with was a Ruger Mk77 bolt action with a manlicher stock in 30-06. It is a short / lite bush gun, when you shoot it, you feel it. Never killed anything with it, but I have killed 4 deer, never shot any of them either.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
My first hunting rifle was a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Killed lots of birds and a couple of rabbits with it. Then came the Remington single shot .22 my dad bought me for my 7th birthday. Killed lots of rabbits with it among other small game. First centerfire "deer rifle" was a Remington Mohawk 600 I bought new in 1981 in .308.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My first rifle at 15 was a Winchester Model 250 Deluxe 22 LR. Still have it 53 years later.
First deer rifle was a 7.7Jap rifle somdone gave to my dad for some work he had done. It had a sporterized stock in horrible shape and barrel had been shortened never crowned. Had it crowned and I refinished the stock and blued the barrel. Shot my first deer with it. After all the work my dad sold it and bought a Marlin
30-30 lever action.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Mossberg 500. Not a rifle I know but in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York it was what it was. Father was gone. Saved and bought it myself at 14-15 with help of an uncle who also took me to hunter safety classes. Used it for deer and duck. Was stolen/possibly "forgot I had it" by a guy in my platoon at Ft Benning while I was PCSing. So started my long decent/(ascent?) to my current addiction/predicament.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I started out with a borrowed Winchester model 94 AE (Angle Eject) with a Weaver fixed 4 power scope and Remington 150 grain core loktes. The first rifle I owned and took my first deer with was a Harrington & Richardson single shot break action chambered in 223 with a Weaver 3x9x40 picture frame scope.
I'm 66 now. Started hunting with my dad around 1965 or so with his 1955 vintage Winchester Model 94 with a Weaver 4x. Later upgraded to a Remington 700 in 25-06 about 1969. Interesting trivia: the Weaver was mounted to the Model 94 at Lehman's gun shop in San Antonio. Quite a colorful history about Hyman Lehman and gangsters back in the '30s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_S._Lehman

Sad to say my dad passed away at 91 about a month ago. My most treasured possession is his 1962 vintage Sako 264 mag (first year of production) that replaced his Win '94. Hoping to get to the range very soon to shoot it. Hard to think about it without welling up a bit. Grateful for a wonderful father.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm 66 now. Started hunting with my dad around 1965 or so with his 1955 vintage Winchester Model 94 with a Weaver 4x. Later upgraded to a Remington 700 in 25-06 about 1969. Interesting trivia: the Weaver was mounted to the Model 94 at Lehman's gun shop in San Antonio. Quite a colorful history about Hyman Lehman and gangsters back in the '30s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_S._Lehman

Sad to say my dad passed away at 91 about a month ago. My most treasured possession is his 1962 vintage Sako 264 mag (first year of production) that replaced his Win '94. Hoping to get to the range very soon to shoot it. Hard to think about it without welling up a bit. Grateful for a wonderful father.
Sorry to hear of his passing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts