6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decide to get in on the fun and the wait! I've been eyeing the YHM Resonator, but none in stock anywhere that I can find. What are you having great results with?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've decide to get in on the fun and the wait! I've been eyeing the YHM Resonator, but none in stock anywhere that I can find. What are you having great results with?
Trash panda on my 12.5 6.8. Oss helix on 16 308 ar. Wilson combat 308 bolt action. Soon to have my other helix on a 12.5 30 herrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Surprised you don't have a million opinions already. There are a ton of choices and the same number of opinions.

I have two direct thread cans but have not compared them on a 12.5 yet. One is a DeadAir Sandman Ti and the other is a Q Full Nelson. I have been told the Full Nelson does a better job of suppressing when I shot it on a 5.56. My dad who has heard both cans on the 5.56 said the Full Nelson was quieter and I can believe that as the Full Nelson is a 1.75 inch diameter while the Sandman Ti is a 1.5 inch diameter and they are roughly the same length. The Full Nelson is also made of Titanium.

I like the direct thread cans as I am too cheap to buy muzzle devices for every gun I want to use a can on but an interesting model is the DeadAir Nomad-L which can be used with QD mounts or as a Direct Thread. I have no idea on how it sounds or performance.

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
I too suggest direct thread. Each attachment point is a chance for failure, the fewer attachment points... the "more gooder" in this instance. I'd also lean towards Ti to keep the weight down. If you're going to play the stamp game, get the best you can (no pun intended).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love my Griffin Optimus. Can shoot anything from 9mm/308 down and the Taper Mount muzzle devices they sell make it super easy to swap between different toys

·
Registered
27 Posts
As I get a rifle set up to where I like it, the silencer never seems to come off. From what I've learned, while QD systems are nice, I prefer DT options now. Saves weight and unnecessary OAL to the total system. My two DT silencers are a DA SandmanTi (18" 6.5Grendel) and a SiCo Harvester30 (26" 7mmMag). My future general purpose hunting silencer with be a EA VoxK, and I will run it DT on a 20" 308 gas gun. My current 16" 6.8 hunting rifle has two silencers that are swapped depending on the terrain I am hunging, DA SandmanK and a DA SandmanS. My 12.5" 6.8 brush gun has a permanently attached SiCo Omega making it a one stamp gun.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you want to use it on one rifle, then go direct thread. If you have several rifles you want to switch it to, then having a mount helps a lot with that since you dont have to remove MD each time and retorque them when you are done.

If you want a 22lr can as well Silencershop has this deal on AAC below

I have a few direct threads and like them but i needed something to switch back and forth. So I have a Recce 7 in jail right now awaiting approval. Seems to be a solid can with a really good mount system. Picked it up at gunzonedeals as they beat SS price by $222

So many factors weigh into your decision, its hard to know exactly what you are looking for. There are cans that can go from pistol to rifle and cover all of your bases as well as caliber specific cans. However, a 30cal is usually a good place to start though. Griffin Armament, SiCO, Dead Air, Gemtech, YHM are all good companies.

DB doesnt mean everything and since you are putting on an AR the at ear DB is most important for your hearing. If you are running with a team in close proximity then at muzzle may factor in more (hence why its the military standard). There are a lot of tricks they can do to fudge numbers so make sure they were consistent and tested it with an auto and not just a bolt gun. You see some on YT that have the back of the can by the sensor when giving db ratings, of course the further away even an inch, or 8" in some cases, can make a big difference. A can may be 138db at muzzle and 146db at ear on an AR which is not hearing safe. Lower at ear in an auto loader typically means it has less blowback as well reducing overgassed issues.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for a dedicated suppressor for the 12.5" barrel 6.8SPC. No switching around, multiple rifle application is not needed. I'm leaning toward the Thunder Beast. Have you used one of these specifically?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know ThunderBeast is well known for their accuracy in the LRP world, if I remember correctly they are not a hard use silencer, and may have some barrel length restrictions. What are your priorities for the set up? Shortest OAL? Lightest OAW? The least amount of blow back? The Quietest set up?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted a YHM Resonator but they are not available. Not now, not anytime soon due to the low production rate and high demand. It and the TB are perfectly suited for the 12.5" barrel 6.8SPC, according to the manuf specs. The TB costs much more and weighs a lot less. I can afford the TB and I'm not going to run it hard. As mentioned, they are one of the most popular with LRP shooters. Just looking for real life experiences.

·
Registered
970 Posts
YHM Resonator all the way. I have a couple and for the money they are hard to beat. I've shot it on a 300 RUM and it tamed that lightweight hunting rifle without flinching. Recoil and noise reduction were really amazing. I hadn't heard they had a long lead time at the moment. Every time I've ordered them I get them in a week. Did you call and ask what the wait is looking like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moose ears if you are not in a rush to get that information, I can help if you want a real world answer. I guess I can give you an answer later anyway. I won't have a chance to shoot it for 2 weeks or so but I built a 6.8spc 12" and bought a YHM resonator to use on it and my 300 bo. I haven't had time to mount it and go to a range or out in a setting to shoot. I'll post back when I get a chance. I paid for my can last September and got it in late May. I haven't had time to get very far from the house, I did build a 358 Socom though . (Sorry, that is a 10.5" barrel not a 12" barrel.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Omega 30 on my 16" arp. It is fantastic on 300blk not so great on the 6.8. My harvester is much more quiet yet too long imo for a 16". I have a 8" Ti form 1 with 9 radials that that is the best sounding on my 16". I am more comfy hog hunting with the omega just due to build quality. "I once launched all my cones/internals at a hog when my first form 1 made from a sdta tube came apart". I have a trash panda in jail because I heard one at the range on a 308 sbr that sounded great. It will go on my 308 but will test it also on the 6.8 and report back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts