6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it seems that the Nikon BDC won't work that well with the 6.8, so that brings me back to the drawing board.

My situation:
I am getting a new scope for my 18" SPR build. It will mostly be my deer hunting rifle.
Current scope is a cheap Barska 4-16x50AO. Great on sunny days. Not so great at dawn/dusk/hazy days. Power ring is very stiff. AO bezel sucks. If I get an adjustable focus, it will have to be side focus.
Here in KS, a deer could pop out at 25yds, or 325yds, so I suppose I need a good low and high magnification.
I don't have a range finder, so I had been thinking of getting a mil-dot scope to help with range estimation.
I've heard that bigger objective = more light gathering. I've also heard that better glass and coatings = more light gathering. If I get better glass and coating (i.e. Zeiss, etc.), do I really need a bigger objective?

What power of magnification to I really need for a 300yd shot on a deer? I know I don't need any 16x scope, but I originally bought my Barska for shooting prairie dogs.
Is it possible to use a standard reticle (or the German #4) for range estimation out to 300yds? I am finding that the only mil-dot scopes in my price range are high power scopes (6x and up)
Budget is $350 or less.

Some that I have found in my price range:
Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm (with glass this good, would I need a big 50mm objective?)
Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5X24 30mm Tube Illuminated Reticle
Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5-10X50 30mm tube Illuminated German #4 Reticle
Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50
Vortex Viper 2-7x32

I suppose if I got the Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5 or the Zeiss Conquest, I could also use it for home defense, although that is pretty low on the priority list.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
I absolutely love my Weaver CE 2.5-10X. It has the side focus adjustment like you want, but i dont foresee a way to range distace with the German #4. The good thing is wih a 200 yd zero, should be good to go on a chest shot from 0-250. Another option is set up pre-determined markers from your stand o help guage distance.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ron169 said:
I absolutely love my Weaver CE 2.5-10X. It has the side focus adjustment like you want, but i dont foresee a way to range distace with the German #4. The good thing is wih a 200 yd zero, should be good to go on a chest shot from 0-250. Another option is set up pre-determined markers from your stand o help guage distance.
If only I had a stand to hunt from! I am basically relegated to public land, and with pheasant season at the same time, the deer don't move. My only real option is to stalk and hope that I flush one out or catch one that someone else has flushed out. Hence, my need to estimate range with the scope.

Fortunately, the Weaver CE I am looking at also comes in a standard illuminated duplex reticle. The fact that it is a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective may give it the edge over the lighter, better glassed Zeiss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.