6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
WHAT is the HEAVIEST bullet that is in "Factory" loaded ammo, for 6.8 SPC...(NOT Sub-Sonic)
Currently its the 120 SST from Hornady.
At one time it was the 140 Berger VLD by SSA

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have some of those Berger rounds. You would do well to grab up any you find online because they haven't been made in a while.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ammo can "NOT" be shipped or mailed to Alaska. Sadly.

I have some of those Berger rounds. You would do well to grab up any you find online because they haven't been made in a while.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Ammo can "NOT" be shipped or mailed to Alaska. Sadly.
Time to start reloading! If you are looking for heavy-for-caliber bullets for the 6.8mm, there are several of us loading 130 to 150 grain bullets. The 130gr Fusion and 150gr Federal Round Nose can be purchased as "pulls" for a fraction of factory off-the-shelf components and are suitable for hunting in the 6.8mm.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sadly this is not an option either, I live in a very small one room cabin, I did my reloading from 1957 till 1983.

Time to start reloading! If you are looking for heavy-for-caliber bullets for the 6.8mm, there are several of us loading 130 to 150 grain bullets. The 130gr Fusion and 150gr Federal Round Nose can be purchased as "pulls" for a fraction of factory off-the-shelf components and are suitable for hunting in the 6.8mm.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
One thing to consider is bullet performance for what you want it to do. The 120 SST rapidly expands on impact where a 115 grain Federal Fusion is bonded and has potentially better for tougher game. Then there are those light zippy bullets like the barnes 95 grainers that was made to be the best 6.8 SPC bullet or one of the best.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes........I was looking for little or no expansion, and as heavy as available.

One thing to consider is bullet performance for what you want it to do. The 120 SST rapidly expands on impact where a 115 grain Federal Fusion is bonded and has potentially better for tougher game. Then there are those light zippy bullets like the barnes 95 grainers that was made to be the best 6.8 SPC bullet or one of the best.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I was looking for little or no expansion, and as heavy as available.
Sourdough, why are you looking for little or no expansion? I can tell you from all my terminal bullet testing, that bullets that do not expand just flip 180 degrees and penetrate tail first and often veer off they trajectory as much as 30 degrees. They do very little tissue damage and over penetrate - often like a going through butter. Do you want a bullet to retain its weight after impact? A lighter bullet that retains more weight after impact will retain more energy for penetration than a heavy bullet that loses its weight (120 SST is a fragmentation bullet, can break into pieces, and more often than not has no exit wound). Do you want it to stay on-course after impact? The bullet needs to expand in diameter and shorten in length of it swaps ends and the benefit of any expansion is lost in the wake of the bullet's tail and small wound channel.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I live with a lot of bears, big bears. I have a lot of bear encounters.
This factory ammo will retain the most weight after impact and penetrate the deepest (in order of weight after impact)

110 Remington Hog Hammer (110 TSX)
100 Hornady Full Boar (100 GMX)
115 Federal MSR (Speer bonded lead-core)

120 Hornady SST is a fragmentation bullet. On the deer I have shot with the SST, they fragment on impact (grenade is a more descriptive term) shedding its lead core and do massive internal damage but have not had a pass through. The path of the fragments is not predictable. I did a head-on shot in the chest on a deer with an SST and the fragments broke ribs on both sides.

If Nosler comes out with factory ammo with 100/110 Accubonds, they would be good candidates also.
S&B sometimes produces ammo with the 110 TSX.

You can see terminal performance test results in this thread.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33178-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Performance

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
This factory ammo will retain the most weight after impact and penetrate the deepest (in order of weight after impact)

110 Remington Hog Hammer (110 TSX)
100 Hornady Full Boar (100 GMX)
115 Federal MSR (Speer bonded lead-core)

120 Hornady SST is a fragmentation bullet. On the deer I have shot with the SST, they fragment on impact (grenade is a more descriptive term) shedding its lead core and do massive internal damage but have not had a pass through. The path of the fragments is not predictable. I did a head-on shot in the chest on a deer with an SST and the fragments broke ribs on both sides. I

f Nosler comes out with factory ammo with 100/110 Accubonds, they would be good candidates also.
S&B sometimes produces ammo with the 110 TSX.

You can see terminal performance test results in this thread.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33178-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Performance
the hog hammer and gmx would be good for his situation-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts