6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I scraped my Mossberg MPV conversion/build into a 6.8.
I guess the recommended Savage Bolt Action build may be best for me.
What is the easiest quick way to get a end block magazine Savage Project to 6.8?
Screw on bolt part from Pacific looks good for $70
Now who can I get a barrel from?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
I believe BHW makes some barrels threaded for Savage. Not sure if Harrison has any left but he did have some at one time. Also, there is a forum member who will open up your bolt face to fit the 6.8 if you buy a .223 donor rifle. I can't remember who it is right now but maybe someone will. He did mine for $25.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Quite a few barrel manu 's have savage barrels ...it might be more wait for so.e than others though---- I'd also look at x-caliber

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
I believe it is MCA that did the bolt face for me. You might send him a PM and see if he still does them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies
I will probably buy an inexpensive donor rifle such as the Stevens 200(a low priced Savage 10) in whatever caliber but short action.
Will it have any feeding problems that would require modification of the blind magazine?
Still looking for a barrel....BHW seems like they can do it though.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I got a bolt from MCA for my Axis, the 223 mags worked better than the 308 mags, you will have to bend the feed lips to .350-.370" gap. For a barrel, BHW, Apache, X-Caliber, McGowen, Pac-Nor.

I'm going to get a little more mileage out of this pic:

It's got one of the 1:12 3 groove barrels from ARP.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
thanks for the replies
I will probably buy an inexpensive donor rifle such as the Stevens 200(a low priced Savage 10) in whatever caliber but short action.
Will it have any feeding problems that would require modification of the blind magazine?
Still looking for a barrel....BHW seems like they can do it though.
I used a .223 with drop box center feed mag and it works great with only a little tweaking of the feed lips.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Since this is about the Savage rifles, perhaps one of you can answer a question for me?

I was thinking of doing a scout rifle like the Ruger. 16" barrel, detachable mag, bolt action, etc. I'd also like to be able to swap barrels. Which of the Savage models is the right one to use for such a rifle?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I have one in 4140 cromoly for the savage 10 / axis that is a tac driver.
The barrel was made by Bergara that for all intents and purposes work like a shilen match. They are partners and share tools and technology.
Next step is to install the AR15 magazine system like I did with the Remington 700.
It works great. The main reason is so I can use it for other cats too that I also have chambered for the AR15.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Since this is about the Savage rifles, perhaps one of you can answer a question for me?

I was thinking of doing a scout rifle like the Ruger. 16" barrel, detachable mag, bolt action, etc. I'd also like to be able to swap barrels. Which of the Savage models is the right one to use for such a rifle?
The model 10FCM has the forward mounted scope and a peep sight on the receiver if that's what you're looking for, otherwise any of the 10/11/16 with a "C" in the model number will have the detachable mag. If you don't like the factory savage magazine then any of them can be converted to AICS mags using CDI or PTG bottom metal. Pay attention to bolt spacing and whether you have a top or bottom bolt release.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
This trend kind of petered out ... I'd have to look and see if I have any 223 bolt heads around to convert to 6.8. Haven't done any in a few months.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The model 10FCM has the forward mounted scope and a peep sight on the receiver if that's what you're looking for, otherwise any of the 10/11/16 with a "C" in the model number will have the detachable mag. If you don't like the factory savage magazine then any of them can be converted to AICS mags using CDI or PTG bottom metal. Pay attention to bolt spacing and whether you have a top or bottom bolt release.
I converted an axis to 6.8, and am real interested in this AICS conversion.
Can we get some more details?
Shooting 110 prohunters and 90-TNT's the best.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I converted an axis to 6.8, and am real interested in this AICS conversion.
Can we get some more details?
Shooting 110 prohunters and 90-TNT's the best.
About the only way I know of to use the Axis with an AI mag is with the MDT chassis. Magpul mags should work as is, AI mags will need the feed lips bent in a little, don't know about MDT mags.

I haven't actually seen a functioning 6.8 rifle with AI mags, but I used the action from my Savage 11 260 rem without the barrel and it feeds 6.8 from magpul mags decent.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The CDI link I posted above is for use with a Boyd's stock as I understand it. I don't know what you would need to do with the feed lips on the mags.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
For those looking to swap barrels, the only advise I can offer is to not shoot the doner rifle first. I bought a 243 cheap at a pawn shop to switch to a creedmoor, but shot it first and it shot so good that I would not mess with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts