6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the staked buffer tube on one of my rec7's to install my UBR stock

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy a stock wrench. It's not the buffer tube that is staked, it's the receiver end plate. The only way to get it off is with brute force, you might chew up the face of the castle nut but they are cheap and it doesn't even matter with the UBR since it comes with it's own hardware and receiver extension.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it broke my stock wrench :oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've removed one using a pin punch, but it was a pain in the ass and I scratched the hell out of the threads on the receiver extension. Your best bet is to buy another wrench.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just use an air cheisel

·
Registered
170 Posts
sounds like you need a bigger hammer. :lol:

Good luck those things are a pita. Get another wrench.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a 16" pipe wrench worked like a charm

·
Registered
441 Posts
It sounds like they did not only stake it but loctited it to me. You an use a punch or small chisel or even flat head screw driver and a hammer to carefully knock the staked back or use a dremel and carefully cut the stake. TO break stake rather then constant force or tugging you want to cause i to shear so the wrench hitting it with a hammer to give it that focused energy on the stake. Heating it would help as well.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no locite on the buffer tube, but rather the metal washer was staked to the buffer tube lock nut

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
staked parts hold pretty well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts