6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re:6.8 What do you consider to set a limit for max effective hunting range on deer and hogs other than how thick the woods are,how far you can see or where the animal happens to be standing, even though for most of us thick woods is what limits the shot. Is it energy, trajectory, expansion of the bullet or accuracy?
Second does the BC really make that much of a difference at that range?
Please stick to factory ammo since everyone will argue how fast we can push bullets in reloads.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I guess mine would be energy along with personal accuracy and the availability of a rest so the BC really does not come into play within my distances.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with ethics and practice. From a stand where I know distances and can rest on something solid, 250 is good, 300 is ok. If I'm walking or on a drive, it's more like 100. I shoot offhand a lot at 3 gun, but I want to know if I shoot it, that I can recover it.

Now coyote hunting, 400-500 no problem.:D

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Do you think about it and set a max before you walk into the woods?
I have pretty much set a 250 yard limit. This is not related to BC but to the energy level of the 6.8 for ethical energy levels to make a clean kill. Of course the range could be extended if I have a good rest and the game is not spooked. I have opportunities on elk at under 150 yards so I would also consider using it on elk, again depending on the shot.

I am also working on my field position accuracy and once I have improved may take the range out another 50 yards or so.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
1st and for most , the skill of the shooter and the consistency of the platform.
2nd the means to make the kill cleanly . That leads into a viper pit of penatration, expansion,carried energy, energy transfer, tissue disruption, bone strike , major/primary organs, CNS and the infamous hit or miss head shot only guy. Bullet construction, bullet function, tip construction/funtion, weight ,velocity, velocity vs bbl length , pass the black mumba please the bull snake just ate my sidewinder.

BC absolutely has a bearing on how far 1 can or should shoot . But in any cartridge ,caliber or platform it should only be a consideration after 1 and 2 have been met .

For clarity if your typical hunting range is has an absolute maximum range of 627 ft then in practical application it doesn't matter if your bullet of choice has a .280 or a .510 BC because it is unlikely that you will ever have a shot over 150 yds a round nose 170 gr in a 30 WCF only has a 3" hold over with a 100 yd zero. If you hunt areas that when you break the tree line and there's another 400 vertical ft to the low saddle then it is much more important. Where your sneek cover to get inside 250 yd is a 16" granite boulder 300 yd of broken shale from your current location it's vital to be able to get the bullet to the target as fast and flat as possible to have as much (insert viper pit value) as is possible just incase you get busted by the thirty point 50 yds short of the sneak cover. That or pass the shot.

Of course there will always be the potential of under/over kill particularly when we dabble in high velocity light bullet cartridges . It's unlikely to be caught short with almost any 100 gr plus bullet intended to expand in the 200 yd maximum hunting fields but a 140 gr VLD that has an impact design velocity of ,arbitrarily , 13-1700 fps for the magic (insert viper pit term/s) is going to make a mess 15 minutes before the end of shooting hrs when the 27 point buck stands up out of some knee deep scrub 50 ft away dead head on even after the 2 min warning beeps from your phone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think it all depends on accuracy and the comfort level with your rifle and distance your shooting. My comfort level shooting at a deer is no longer than 200 yds with a good rest. Hogs and coyotes I'll sling lead their direction out to just about where ever. That being said it also depends on which rifle I have with me at that time. BC's I think matter at extreme ranges in precision shooting but for where I hunt and distances I choose to shoot its nice but not a must.

As for Factory ammo I've used Winchester Power Points and Power Point Pluses, Federal Round Nose, cheap Remington CorLoks, and Hornady's in my 270 and the only bullets it didn't like where the Hornady. All that being said just use what your rifle likes and know your limitations.

I haven't gotten to try out my new 6.8 on any game yet but it does like the 90 gr Gold Dots and the Hornady V-max's.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With a good rest, I will go out to 200 on a deer, but ideal is 150 or less. My choice on this range isn't related to energy, but BC as it relates to wind. I shoot a 90 gr GD out of a SBR, and wind can mean the difference between dead or wounded game. With a 10mph cross wind the bullet is pushed nearly 4" to the side, meaning I am getting on edges of the boiler room if I am holding center. By the time I am out to 200 I am 7" off center, which means I have to worry about hold among other things. For ethics of shooting, I try to keep it simple and limit my shots. If I need to reach out further I have a 30-06 and a 338 Lapua with significantly better ballistics. The drill I use to ensure I stay ethical is to shoot at a 6" plate from a variety of distances and from different positions. If I can't repeatedly be consistent at a given range, then I don't need to shoot game at that distance. Even for coyotes, hogs, or other nuisance animals I would never take the shot and risk wounding something unnecessarily to see it suffer. Must be the crazy liberal in me. I'm a firm believer in right tool for the job, and see the 6.8 in my collection as a 200 yard max gun.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I set my limit by the velocity needed to reliably expand the bullet I’m using in soft tissue.
If a bullet is advertised to expand reliably at 1800 FPS, as an example, then the range at which the bullet has slowed to 1800 is my ethical range limit.
BC plays a role only in that a high BC will extend the expansion range slightly by carrying a higher velocity a bit further.
At any range I would shoot at a game animal, BC is irrelevant. But that’s my choice.
Energy is only a factor in determining how much penetration you can get from the expanded bullet.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I hunt in the woods of northern MN/WI. The longest shot I've had in several years paced out to 190 yards, closest was about 5. Sometimes visibility is less than 50 yards. Average shot is 50-70 yards. BC is pretty much irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I hunt in the woods of northern MN/WI. The longest shot I've had in several years paced out to 190 yards, closest was about 5. Sometimes visibility is less than 50 yards. Average shot is 50-70 yards. BC is pretty much irrelevant.
depends on where/what you are hunting

BC is irrelevant inside of 200 yards in my opinion, after that it can start to matter--- more for wind than drop

pronghorn on the plains? everything matters

elk or deer in heavily wooded areas? the trees get in the way before anything else comes into play

accuracy, ability, visibility, mirage, weather conditions (especially wind), type of rest available, BC all come into play at further distances----but then you know that :a26:

·
Registered
170 Posts
depends on where/what you are hunting

BC is irrelevant inside of 200 yards in my opinion, after that it can start to matter--- more for wind than drop

pronghorn on the plains? everything matters

elk or deer in heavily wooded areas? the trees get in the way before anything else comes into play

accuracy, ability, visibility, mirage, weather conditions (especially wind), type of rest available, BC all come into play at further distances----but then you know that :a26:
Plus 1 more, especially weather conditions and rest.

Mort123

·
Registered
430 Posts
re

About 200-250 yards MAX for me mainly because of wind (Although I Would prefer 150 yards and less) . This using the Hornady 120 SST Factory load
While I have no problem with killing cleanly, I dont want to accidentally put one in the guts because of the wind,or any other reason for that matter.
An animal deserves to be taken cleanly with as little suffering as possible.
I would include ANY animal including hogs, coyotes,prairie dogs etc.
I look at animals as more than just a target.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
all the rifle hunting i ever did was in the woods, 50 yards would be a world class shot. shotgun hunting in woods and open areas for quail, as soon as they got far enough away there would be something left to eat. USMC hunting varied from 10 feet, or less, to thousands of meters, depending on your caliber.

i don't hunt anymore, would if i was hungry, shooting something because you're bored, or it happened to walk by (even tho it's not what you are hunting for), or you think it will make a nice rug...borders on the psychopathic. killing just because you can is not sport, it's just killing.

if a predator threatens your safety, your animals safety, then certainly rid yourself of the annoyance. excepting the previous, if you don't eat what you kill, then you're just a killer, and there will come a time in your life when looking back you will regreat the senseless, useless killing you've done over your lifetime. it will weigh upon you and you will feel regret, unless you're completely insane by that time. i know my conscience is weighed down by the killing i've done.

i know the above will change no ones life style, and will not argue the point. to show i'm not a libtard (as you call them) , if satan himself rose from the bowels of hell and declared he was a conservative and could win against the dems, he would have my vote.

to sum it up, effective range is 10 feet to thousands of meters, depending on caliber, therefore BC is discounted for good sight dope and a dependable sight picture

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I set my limit by the velocity needed to reliably expand the bullet I'm using in soft tissue.
If a bullet is advertised to expand reliably at 1800 FPS, as an example, then the range at which the bullet has slowed to 1800 is my ethical range limit.
BC plays a role only in that a high BC will extend the expansion range slightly by carrying a higher velocity a bit further.
At any range I would shoot at a game animal, BC is irrelevant. But that's my choice.
Energy is only a factor in determining how much penetration you can get from the expanded bullet.
This for me. I have two 6.8's. One is a lightweight (7#) I carry when close quarters brush/still hunting for deer and hogs where quick target acquisition and ease of handling is most important for me. In that type of hunting BC doesn't come into play and my shots will generally be at or well less than 100 yards. I still shoot heavier bullets because of the cover. It wears a 1X4 scope. My other 6.8 is an 18" Bison standard profile rifle. It's heavier, I shoot 110-120's in it and I would not feel a bit uncomfortable shooting a 200#+ Mule deer with it out to 300 yards plus with the bullets I'm using as long as I had a good rest and plenty of practice to hone my skills. I will tell you one thing, hunting squirrels out to 400 yards with that rifle with 90's makes you a very good shot and rally hones your skill level. Putting 4-500 rounds downrange at 3X5" varmints will make you a better shot overall with anything.

Though possible, I doubt I will ever use my 6.8's for Elk. I have an AR10 in 308 and another upper in 260 Remington better suited, though heavier, for that. I'm not an "it's possible to kill one" kind of hunter for big game. I don't sign into the "maybe it's enough rifle I'll try it" crowd when hunting. I was simply taught better by people who knew much more than I did more than 50 years ago. So far, it's worked out. I lost one big game animal in 50 years of hunting for them with firearms and that was the first deer I ever shot at and the last I made a bad shot on. Lesson learned.

·
Administrator
22,085 Posts
For where I hunt, the under cover is so danged thick, BC isn't that much of a consideration. I dream of being able to see 100 yds. ahead. If the ammo's accurate in my gun, holds together rather well, and has good expansion... that's highest on my priority list. Something which goes to sleep quickly is more important to me than whether it's got a high BC.

If I lived/hunted in more open terrain, I'd be more concerned with BC.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't' deer hunt anymore ( don't really want to deal with the carcass) so all i use my 6.8 for is coyote hunting and an occasional hog hunt. I'm not afraid to shoot at a coyote out to 500 if i can get a solid rest. i really don't look for bullets with high B.C. (i shoot 90 gr. TNT, Gold Dots, and 110 VMax) but at those distances it certainly helps retain energy and velocity. Longest shot i've made with it so far is 307 yards with a 90 gr TNT.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
To me, BC is irrelivant in the 6.8 due to the yardage of the round. Accuracy within 300 yds and bullet type for the intended use is my primary concern for what i use the 6.8 for.

As for max range for the 6.8, I consider that to be 300 yds for me.

Zeroing factory 6.8 ammo at 200 yds allows me to make fast shots with confidence because i know that im either holding dead on the shoulder or near the top of the back and when the stick goes bang the freezer door flies open.

Factory 6.8 ammo zeroed at 200yds will have around a 10" drop at 300, Deer which is what i hunt have an approximate thickness of 18" from back to breast so im either holding dead on the shoulder at 200 yds and under or the top of the back at 300 yds or somewhere in between.

HORN

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Pretty much what I expected from the group of people here. I'm betting the responses on other forums would be completely different.
Several years ago I almost lost a big mule deer because the bullet did not expand. 300 win mag just a little over 500 yards. After that I changed from "distance I could hit" to, I determine my max shooting distance from the velocity the bullet will expand. From the chart below I would say 300-350 for that ammo.
At the effective hunting range with cartridges of this size is a bullet with a BC of .3, .4 or .5 going to make that much difference? I don't think so.
I'm a speed freak and like shooting long range when I can, also research the crap out of everything. I have a big excel chart with all the cartridges listed down the side, bullets, velocity and the drops, drift and energy of every combination out to 1000yds. What I see is from cartridges of similar sizes shooting bullets of the same weight BC doesn't make but a few inches difference at hunting ranges. I may be a little different because I zero at 200 here in the south and 300 out west and that lessens the difference at the 3-400yd hunting ranges.

6.8mm SPC 120 GR SST®

Test Barrel (16") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle100200300400500
2460/16122250/13492050/11201862/9231685/7561522/617

Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle100200300400500
-2.402.200.00-10.50-31.10-64.00

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Pretty much what I expected from the group of people here. I'm betting the responses on other forums would be completely different.
Several years ago I almost lost a big mule deer because the bullet did not expand. 300 win mag just a little over 500 yards. After that I changed from "distance I could hit" to, I determine my max shooting distance from the velocity the bullet will expand. From the chart below I would say 300-350 for that ammo.
At the effective hunting range with cartridges of this size is a bullet with a BC of .3, .4 or .5 going to make that much difference? I don't think so.
I'm a speed freak and like shooting long range when I can, also research the crap out of everything. I have a big excel chart with all the cartridges listed down the side, bullets, velocity and the drops, drift and energy of every combination out to 1000yds. What I see is from cartridges of similar sizes shooting bullets of the same weight BC doesn't make but a few inches difference at hunting ranges. I may be a little different because I zero at 200 here in the south and 300 out west and that lessens the difference at the 3-400yd hunting ranges.

6.8mm SPC 120 GR SST®

Test Barrel (16") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle100200300400500
2460/16122250/13492050/11201862/9231685/7561522/617

Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle100200300400500
-2.402.200.00-10.50-31.10-64.00
H, if you don't mind me asking what bullet were you using out of your 300? 500 yards is well with in dead before they hit the ground range. Was it a TTSX?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.