6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lots of ppl really like the SSA but i cant remember which ones. i have a couple boxes of hornady but idk if theyre ok for deer or not. i really dont wanna end up cruching down on a peice of lead in a stick of venison if ya know what i mean.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
110 prohunter, Vmax would all be fine for a heart / lung shot

I shot 3 a few days ago with the 110g Barnes TTSX
read my post "5 deer down" , pics and details

I was a little nervous they may not open up but that was FAR from the case :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just found one of my boxes, theyre 110g vmaxs. those are just fine for deer? are they not as lethal as the pro hunters?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32

There's some good info on ammo in the ammunition forum. The above post summarizes the popular loads. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
ccoker said:
110 prohunter, Vmax would all be fine for a heart / lung shot

I shot 3 a few days ago with the 110g Barnes TTSX
read my post "5 deer down" , pics and details

I was a little nervous they may not open up but that was FAR from the case :)

Agreed the 110 grain PH should do the trick on thin skinned game, white tails etc!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would stay away from the vmax. I would be afraid that if you hit the shoulder, it would not be an efficient kill using a v-max. I would use what has been suggested so far, pro hunters, accubonds, and the barnes TTSX and TSX. I use the accubonds and they leave a massive exit wound. I have shot 3 deer with my 6.8 this year, using accubonds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
msu33 said:
I would stay away from the vmax. I would be afraid that if you hit the shoulder, it would not be an efficient kill using a v-max. I would use what has been suggested so far, pro hunters, accubonds, and the barnes TTSX and TSX. I use the accubonds and they leave a massive exit wound. I have shot 3 deer with my 6.8 this year, using accubonds.
do the vmax's not have as much punch to them as the ph's or TTSX's? doesn't a massive exit wound entail a clean kill but also lots of damage internally to your meat?

·
Registered
112 Posts
V-max's are frangible. They dont hold together well, and sometimes dont even exit. You want something that will have a great deal of weight retention and penetration. Remember, blood trailing is much easier when you have two holes especially when you have one that is much bigger than the entrance wound. Dammage to the meat? Depends on your shot placement. You shoot through the shoulders then you could ruin some meat on the shoulders. My point was...that if you shoot a deer in the shoulder with a v-max, it may not be a quick kill. Some people like to shoot deer through the shoulder with heavy bonded or solid copper bullets. This may ruin some meat, but with a broken leg or two, a deer wont run far. I like to shoot them just behind the shoulder so that it doesnt ruin any meat, but I still like to use a good weight retaining bullet. They usually dont run far, but if they do....there is a large trail of blood to follow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jackh said:
http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8_spc_ammo-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

i have no idea if i have a spec II chamber or what grooves and im almost vertain i hae 1:11 twist...can i buy these?
What rifle or upper do you have?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
msu33 said:
jackh said:
http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8_spc_ammo-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

i have no idea if i have a spec II chamber or what grooves and im almost vertain i hae 1:11 twist...can i buy these?
What rifle or upper do you have?

armalite upper and lower

·
Registered
112 Posts
The barrel should have the twist stamped on it somewhere. The camber? You may have to call armalite and find out. I am not familiar with armalite 6.8 barrels.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I've now shot deer with the ProHunter, Accubond, the TSX and the TTSX. You really can't go wrong with any of these. I would not shot the deer in the lungs with the TSX, but the TTSX opens more easily as a result of the ballistic tip and larger cavity, so I think torso shots will be OK. You definitely get a good exit with the TSX and the TTSX. It was my experience that the Pro Hunter may or may not exit. They are pretty frail bullets, but the Accubond is supposed to be the next step up in terms of toughness and weight retention.

If you are shooting hogs, stick with the TSX and the TTSX. The 85 grain TSX is a monster, as is the 110 TTSX.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
The accubonds dont work well on hogs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 on the Pro Hunters. -----1 on the TSX loads. (Long story of absolute bullet FAILURE on deer and FMJ performance at 45 yards.)

However, I have a fellow 6.8 shooter friend that has taken several northern states white tails with the 110 V Max.

Performance has been perfect without massive damage and exit wounds.

He attributes this to the 6.8 velocities on the V Max bullets causing them to act more like a controlled expansion bullet rather than a frangible bullet.

Now his shots have all been at 100 plus yards and behind the leg, into the chest so have not experienced a direct shoulder shot and performance of the V Max in that situation.

YMMV.

I plan on using the 90 and 110 V Max loads on some coyotes this winter out of my CZ 527 bolt gun and will report the results.

That's if it ever gets above -10 F again this winter. :x

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I can attest to the effectiveness of the 110g TTSX on 3 deer, haven't shot anything other than paper with the prohunters

1 - 20 of 38 Posts