6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
OP, my buddy just ordered me some AA2200 and Barnes 95 grain TTSX from Chattanooga last night. I believe they are Natchez for regular non FFL sales. I have RL7 and IMR4198 but decided AA2200 was likely the smoother path. Dummy me ordered 8 pounds. I should have got four one pounders instead. I don鈥檛 plan on loading 2000 rounds right off.

Premium Member
Barnes 110 gr TSX. I've taken about 15 animals including two large Axis deer bucks and never recovered a bullet (all pass throughs). No animals made it farther than 40 yds after impact.
I鈥檓 curious to what bullet brand/weight everyone is using for deer. I hate that Hornady stopped making the American Gunner #50 pack and also Sierra stopped producing their Pro Hunter in .277/110 grain as well. I鈥檓 just curious as to what everyone is using now and having good results with. Thank you everyone for their information and input.
I exclusively use Barnes 95 TTSX's in my 6.8's. I've taken whitetail deer, hogs and antelope with the combination of the 95 TTSX and LT-32 powder. Ranges from 20 yards to 305 yards. Up to today I've not had any game not terminate with this load combination.

Registered
I use the Sierra 90gr HP's and Benchmark powder. I've taken at least 4 deer with this combo, ranges have been 150 yd, 150 yd, 120 yd, and 30 yd. The bullets have done pass-throughs at these ranges.

Registered
i run strictly 95 ttsx with aa2200.. i have to run copper in CA.. looking at possibly trying out the Cutting Edge bullets

Registered
Ive used 115/90gd, and 110/100ab. I've never had a deer run more than 30yrds after a hit and never needed a second shot. The 110 and 115 have been full passthrough, and below are the 100ab on left, and 90gd on the right. All these recovered bullets were shots inside 125yrds, all had 95% or more weight retention.

Registered
I've only shot one deer with my 6.8, a rather large doe last year at 90 yards with factory 120gr SST. It was starting to get dark, and she was next to some really thick brush on the ranch so I put the crosshairs directly on the shoulder and let fly. My thoughts were that I would break both shoulders and anchor her, but I was wrong. She made a leap like a hooked fish breaching water and then crashed into the brush. Spent the last 10 minutes of light looking for her before going back and getting my thermal and continuing the search.

Found her the next morning about 40 yards away in some horrible thick greenbriars. At least it had dropped below freezing overnight and she was recoverable. Just a bit of the core exited the opposite shoulder, leaving a small hole. I had managed to clip the front of the lungs and that was what killed her, but the blood trail was extremely poor from my shot location. Adding insult to injury, the vast majority of the shoulder meat was damaged. The shoulder blade on the entry side was shattered, but what was left of the bullet slid just under the opposite side blade.

I'm not blaming the bullet, I'm blaming my shot location and overconfidence in the round. I think that the 6.8 is perfectly adequate to take deer...just don't do like me and expect .30-06 terminal effects out of the little (comparatively) cartridge.

To date I've killed 63 hogs with the 6.8 and 120gr SST. I killed a 245lb boar two nights ago with it with one shot, and have one-shot dropped several hogs over the 250lb mark. It is shot placement. I've also had 50lb shoats take multiple shots to kill with the same combination because I hit them poorly.

To reduce meat loss with a dedicated deer rig I'd stick to an all copper or bonded bullet. They seem to do well.

Registered
Ive used 115/90gd, and 110/100ab. I've never had a deer run more than 30yrds after a hit and never needed a second shot. The 110 and 115 have been full passthrough, and below are the 100ab on left, and 90gd on the right. All these recovered bullets were shots inside 125yrds, all had 95% or more weight retention.

View attachment 61732
This is almost the same thing I use. 115gd and 110ab. Me and my kids have taken 5 deer and only one moved from the spot she was shot. She made it about 10 yards. All within 125 yds. We break shoulders. I don't like tracking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
Interesting. That seems backwards since less velocity should result in the bullet holding together better. The deer that I've shot with the 120gr SST at 150yds never took a step, and there were no bullet fragments, just a nice entrance and huge exit hole.

I've had the same result with the 110gr Accubonds I used to use. DRT and no need to track. I went with the heavier SST to make sure I could use one round for any animal I might hunt with 6.8.
When the SST is at max velosisity and hits big bone it mushrooms past the groove and holds together . If the bullet has shown down or doesn't hit bone going in it only expands to the groove and about time it hits ribs on the far side the lead squirts out of the Jacket and fragments . We have found big old bucks shot through the shoulder had good exit wounds and blood loss and smaller does the jacket is often found empty and turned backwards just under the hide . I feel the bullet would benefit if the jacket was thinner , it doesn't fragment because the jacket comes apart it fragments because the jacket doesn't peel back enough at 6.8 velosisity.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts