6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I鈥檓 curious to what bullet brand/weight everyone is using for deer. I hate that Hornady stopped making the American Gunner #50 pack and also Sierra stopped producing their Pro Hunter in .277/110 grain as well. I鈥檓 just curious as to what everyone is using now and having good results with. Thank you everyone for their information and input.

Registered
Barnes 110 gr TSX. I've taken about 15 animals including two large Axis deer bucks and never recovered a bullet (all pass throughs). No animals made it farther than 40 yds after impact.

Registered
My deer load is the Barnes 95 gr TTSX with either H322 or A2200 powder. Both of these powders perform well in my rifle, but every gun is unique. I've been hunting with Barnes bullets for decades.

Registered
we have used almost every 6.8 hunting bullet available and Cavity back bullets' 105 gra铆n on top of 2200 is the leader of the pack . For reloads 100 accubond would be a good choice also .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Registered
The cavity back 120 mkz has worked very well for me. All the deer I've shot were full pass throughs with good blood trails.

Registered
I've been shooting deer, axis & hogs with my 6.8 a few seasons now. As others have said most bullets are pass-through so not many to weight or show off. I've settled on the 115 gr Speer Gold dots as my go-to bullet of choice. Before that the 110 gr Accubond were doing a good job. Last deer I shot was with a Federal Fusion 130 gr & full pass-through & good wound channel at 120 yds. Fed Fusion bullets are simply Speer Gold-Dots in 130 gr weight. The GD's are soft lead & are copper plated. They do not have a jacket to shed & therefore in theory retain close to 100% weight. Don't know for sure because I guess I'm going to have to line-up two or three deer at a time to ever stop a bullet!

Super Moderator
I have had good luck with 90gr Gold Dots. I have a few factory rounds and some bullets for loading. Haven't really got around to working up a load yet but they have done the job every time.

Registered
I have been using Hornady 120 SSTs with RE10x. They put the hammer down on hogs and deer. The 120's seem to fragment a lot when shooting past 100 yards. Under 100 and you are g2g.

Registered
I started off with 100 grain AccuBonds. After they became unobtainable I started using 110 grain AccuBonds. My son and I have used them for about 10 years and kill 3-5 deer every year with them. I have about 200 left and when they are gone I'll start using the XM68GD that I have about 4 lifetimes supply of. Since I only shoot about 20 rounds total a year thru the 16" and 18" rifles I'll more than likely never run out of the AccuBonds.

Registered
Federal XM68GD which uses the 90gr Gold Dot bullet, perfect expansion no matter the angle or what it hits. I have used the 110gr Accubonds as well, but prefer the Gold Dots.

Registered
I have been using Hornady 120 SSTs with RE10x. They put the hammer down on hogs and deer. The 120's seem to fragment a lot when shooting past 100 yards. Under 100 and you are g2g.
Interesting. That seems backwards since less velocity should result in the bullet holding together better. The deer that I've shot with the 120gr SST at 150yds never took a step, and there were no bullet fragments, just a nice entrance and huge exit hole.

I've had the same result with the 110gr Accubonds I used to use. DRT and no need to track. I went with the heavier SST to make sure I could use one round for any animal I might hunt with 6.8.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thank you all for the information and input. I really appreciate it. I鈥檓 just getting back from a deployment and can鈥檛 believe that everything is all bought up from the stores to online as well馃う馃徑鈥嶁檪锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檪锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檪锔

Registered
Hey thank you all for the information and input. I really appreciate it. I鈥檓 just getting back from a deployment and can鈥檛 believe that everything is all bought up from the stores to online as well馃う馃徑鈥嶁檪锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檪锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檪锔
Cheap 6.8 SPC Ammo | SGAmmo.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts