6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a DPMS with 16" saami barrel what is the best ammo to use for hunting whitetails and hogs? the way i understand it i shouldnt shoot combat loads so what should I use? :?: :? also what would be a good inexpensive round for plinking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
SSA ProHunters for deer or small pigs, unless you can get any of the Accubonds. If I were going after large hogs, I think I'd go with the SSA TSX round. As usual, YMMV.

·
Registered
674 Posts
sideburn said:
Just bought a DPMS with 16" saami barrel what is the best ammo to use for hunting whitetails and hogs? the way i understand it i shouldnt shoot combat loads so what should I use? :?: :? also what would be a good inexpensive round for plinking?
Hi Sideburn...

My first 6.8 was a DPMS and it had 1:11 twist barrel with a VERY tight SAAMI chamber. I couldn't even shoot weak factory loads without signs of high pressure. I got in touch with member/vendor Constructor from AR Performance and had the chamber reamed out to his DMR specs. The rifle went from zero to hero and allowed me to shoot all but the very hottest hand loads. And very accurately I might add!!

So if you want your rifle to have the ability to shoot basically anything... Drop Constructor a PM and discuss the DMR mod for your barrel. I HIGHLY recommend it!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Honestly, I think it is actually mandatory that you get your chamber reamed to the proper spec. DPMS is knowingly creating (OUT OF SPEC) below the SAAMI Min spec chambers in their barrels. This is not all bad as you can actually get a true DMR chamber cut if you have it reamed to that which is what I highly recommend.

SSA use to size their ammo to slightly below min spec in an attempt to help DPMS owner but no longer. They decided and rightly so that why should they have to make their ammo to work with a company's guns that knowingly was making there chambers so tight in a feudal attempt to gain some extra accuracy in the long term. They have been told repeatedly and shown the measurements and the chambers. I an tell you this even if your gun is able to chamber Hrdy and SSA ammo it has no headspace and this will pre-load the bolt lugs and ruin your bolt which will fail significantly sooner. But this is only one of the specs. The DPMS is too tight in ALL its specs. When I did the measurements for the performance test even at the shoulder body junction it was .004 tighter then even th DMR which is not as loose as the SAAMI or SPCII. That is HUGE. That is barely the size of a sized case. The DPMS barrel created the highest pressure in the testing beyond that of other SAAMI 10 twist guns by over 5K but the reduced size is more problematic then just pressure.

But if you get your chamber reamed you will have a good gun that will handle even the combat loads. From what I have seen they are capable of good accuracy 1moa or better when the chamber is cut to a DMR. I strongly advise you do that. Its well worth it and not prohibitively expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts