6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I want to ask ask ya'll about the best new brass for reloading. I have always used Hornady, Federal, and SSA. I am done with crimped primers and I am looking to find a different brass. What do ya'll recommend for small primer pocket brass?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Howdy,

I want to ask ask ya'll about the best new brass for reloading. I have always used Hornady, Federal, and SSA. I am done with crimped primers and I am looking to find a different brass. What do ya'll recommend for small primer pocket brass?

Thank you in advance.
S&B I get mine from cavity back bullets .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm using Starline from Starline's online store. Forty cents each or cheaper depending on quantity and free shipping.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Good choices above.

IIRC, CBB will have primed, new S&B brass in stock soon.

Another option, if you can find it at a price you are happy with, is S&B 110fmj. Good ammo and after you shoot it up you have once-fired brass from your rifle. They are uncrimped, small primer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m confused. Are you saying that those 3 brands sell new brass that has a crimped primer pocket?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m confused. Are you saying that those 3 brands sell new brass that has a crimped primer pocket?
I think he's talking about buying factory ammo and reloading the brass.

Some of the Hornady stuff is crimped, Federal is crimped, and SSA isn't all that great for the price, in my experience with factory loads.

S&B is good factory ammo and the brass is the best for reloading that I have used.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I want to ask ask ya'll about the best new brass for reloading.
"new brass for reloading" doesn't mean once fired factory ammo to me, however, I admit the op is confusing because a primer crimp has to be applied after priming. Maybe mongo can come back and clarify.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points all. OldScot3 has a point. I meant new brass in a bag that you can buy.

In my case, I have always used 1x fired brass, which is different.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did narrow it down to two choices. I can go RP large primer or Starline SP. I am going to go Starline.

TC

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent a lot of time swagging and reaming the 6.8 primer pockets. I want to get away from the COMPLETELY. That wears on the hands fer sure.

It sounds like Starline is the winner for me. I plan to test it and see how it goes. The reason why I choose Starline over Remington because Remington is large primer. I am sitting on a lot of small primers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd be surprised if you don't like it; I use Starline in several calibers and really like it. I'm not sure about all thier brass but some calibers have a slightly reduced capacity compared to other brands. I haven't found that to be a handicap but I guess if you're trying to squeeze every possible grain of a somewhat slowish powder in, you might find it to be an issue. Thats the only "negative" I can find with Starline and imo it's more than offset by being high quality, durable brass for a very attractive price.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think he's talking about buying factory ammo and reloading the brass.

Some of the Hornady stuff is crimped, Federal is crimped, and SSA isn't all that great for the price, in my experience with factory loads.

S&B is good factory ammo and the brass is the best for reloading that I have used.
I think factory loaded hornady might be crimped. i picked up 50 unfired 6.8 locally.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
S&B is the best 6.8 brass due to case capacity and strength. You will get more performance and reloads out of S&B than any other 6.8 brass. Starline is decent brass in the 6.8 however is also has one of the lowest case capacities.
The pre Nosler SSA brass was the best however S&B is even stronger with slightly more case capacity than even early SSA.
We will have S&B brass back in stock at the end of July. We are waiting on the latest production run and shipping/customs.

·
Registered
363 Posts
S&B is the best 6.8 brass due to case capacity and strength. You will get more performance and reloads out of S&B than any other 6.8 brass. Starline is decent brass in the 6.8 however is also has one of the lowest case capacities.
The pre Nosler SSA brass was the best however S&B is even stronger with slightly more case capacity than even early SSA.
We will have S&B brass back in stock at the end of July. We are waiting on the latest production run and shipping/customs.
Cool. I just bought a bunch of the S & B 110 FMJ's from you. Good to know you will have some good brass soon. I got a bunch of once fired federal, but waiting on my swagger tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts