6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I’m dating myself, but I could swear there was a time when SSA was the bee’s knees. I’ve tasted it in a few different occasions over the last year and it’s been...awful. No other word for it.

What do I mean by awful? I’ve shot Hornady, S&B, PPU during the same period. Those exhibit a SD between 9 and 15 w/ an ES between 30-40. SSA is on par with Remington UMC - SD of 35+ and an ES of 100-110.

The SSA is also loaded way light - perhaps because Nosler said “F- it” with respect to QC and wants to stay safe. The 115 stuff, for example, ran a Vavg of 2380 FPS with a high of 2420 FPS. By comparison, 120 SST runs a Vavg of 2440 from the same rifle.

Did I get a bad lot or is that just the state of play these days?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ever since Nosler bought them years ago they have gone to shite. I used to strictly use their 95 ttsx tac loads for hunting, Nosler buying them out is what got me reloading again.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
if you can find some stock prior to the Nosler buyout it is still the best ammo.

i stocked up pretty heavily at the time and should be good for many many years with oem SSA ammo

·
Registered
443 Posts
Pretty much all Nosler factory loaded ammo is mediocre at high dollar prices. They make good bullets but their ammo, not so much.

Reactions: DJL2

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure what it used to be loaded at but I bought a bunch of it when Nosler was had it on sale for 6.99 a box(wish I would of bought more) and out of 12.5 ARP suppressed. 110gr Spitzer were chronoing at high 2400s. That's pretty good to me? Or is just crappy brass now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my barrel is anything to go by, @lupint2t , that would be right in line with the S&B and Hornady 110 for pressure (they chrono at ~2585 for me @16” unsuppressed). Do you recall SD/ES?

I’ve seen brass issues mentioned here, but cannot speak to that. I think I would prefer to shoot S&B if I were making brass (or PPU, since that’s what I’m loading currently). As is, the up front cost for the Nosler/SSA doesn’t make sense for obtaining once fired stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've recently had issues with my SSA brass cracking at the neck/shoulder and thinking their stuff is missing in QC or maybe I just need to learn how to anneal it in the future.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If my barrel is anything to go by, @lupint2t , that would be right in line with the S&B and Hornady 110 for pressure (they chrono at ~2585 for me @16” unsuppressed). Do you recall SD/ES?

I’ve seen brass issues mentioned here, but cannot speak to that. I think I would prefer to shoot S&B if I were making brass (or PPU, since that’s what I’m loading currently). As is, the up front cost for the Nosler/SSA doesn’t make sense for obtaining once fired stuff.
Here's the string, never plugged into excel spreadsheet.
Screenshot_20201228-190156_ClevNote.jpg

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I had the problem with the SSA ammunition. I contacted the manufacturer they had me send the ammunition I had left back to them. They replaced it plus one extra box. I also sent them a couple samples of the cracked brass. Never did hear anything more from them. The customer service was awesome.
The accuracy of their ammo is really good out of my ARP barrel but you can definitely tell a difference in the recoil between the S&B vs most the other factory rounds I have shot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Back in the day SSA was THE go to for 6.8 brass and Ammo. I was at SHOT the year they got bought out by Nosler. It was all going to be great then they started producing Ammo and brass, then not so much. I haven’ty thing sense then from them and am lucky to have a larger stash of the original SSA small primer brass. The good old days..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some of SSA tactical loads (115 grain) and used them in my LWRC PSD 8” and the ammo was so hot I had numerous stuck cases and one managed to blow my extractor out and caused the gun to lock up. I had to send it back to LWRC for repairs. The early SSA stuff was hot as hell.
4AE378D3-4F8D-4B36-BEBE-43E371D53402.png

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ahhh, the good old days. I was lucky to win 500 rds. of their "Combat" ammo at Shot Show years ago from the original company. Great brass for reloading. I haven't bought any of the Nosler stuff to compare. Do like the Nosler 110 AB bullets for deer though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a couple thousand cases of the early SSA brass and thought it was great. Bought a few hundred more cases when Midway had it on clearance a couple years ago. The only thing good I can say about the new SSA stuff is it has a slightly different head stamp so I can tell it apart from the original brass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts