6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this might be the first hog ever killed with the Nosler Accubond....unless Nosler folks shot one with it prior to launch to the market. You guys already know the gun I am using now, and it is pictured with my client. I lent him the use of the gun, and will do the same if desired, for any of you. I used the excellent SSA factory loading, because I have not had time to cook up my own loads yet.

My Client wanted to experience hunting with the NVD's, and this hog had been sighted on my trail camera. Here's the whole story
:

We pulled in to the parking spot and walked the 350 yards to the stand...briskly, and in pitch blackness. We didn't really sneak in, so when we got there, I said "let's put the PVS-14 on the .22 and shoot some raccoons, then after a little while, things will settle down from our walk in." Of course, the .22 is suppressed, so it makes virtually no sound...except the little pop it makes when it hits a coon.

No sooner do I get the PVS 14 on the .22's extended rail, but I look through it downrange and there's the huge pig at the feeder! I scramble to take it off, and when I unscrew the can, the adapter comes off with it....the damn adapter's threads are 1/2 X 28, and my AR-15 is 5/8 X 24!!! :cry: :oops: I tell my customer "he's there...!" "WHO??," he asks :?: :shock: :roll: "The huge pig!!!" "Yeah, right," he quips.... :roll: " Dude, NO, he's really there!"

So, I finally get the damn thing off, and I drop the can in the bottom of the blind and say "here, shoot it without the can" ....He looks at me like this :shock: So I hand him the rifle and say "shoot it in the shoulder, I want to see what the Accubond does...." So he grabs the rifle and says "where's the safety?" :|

Now, its pitch black, that 350 lb. hog is 80 yards away and we're whispering. He can't see the BLACK...rifle. I lean over and click the safety off..."Blast it!!!"...seconds go by....CLICK...WTF??? :!: :?:

So, I grab the gun and check the bolt to see if there's a cartridge in the chamber, there is but I notice that since we'd quietly slid the bolt home, we didn't get it all the way into battery. CRAP!...I then punch the forward assist (did you wonder why we still have those on these rifles?) and then take the safety off again for him while handing the gun over with the barrel out the blind window. "SHOOT that bitch, bitch!"

Pop / Flop. I then realize he's shot it in the head. He says " hu huh, how about a head shot, hu huh, huh?" DAYUM... :| :oops:

Oh well, I can't fault him for shooting a hog right in the brainstem...good shot but I can't tell you much about the Accubond from this, since even a little wussy .223 would kill the thing when placed here.

Despite the efforts of the discombobulated guide to torpedo an otherwise successful 24-second pig hunt, the client keeps his cool and scores!! WOOOHOO

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
cool and what mount do you use for the pvs 14?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is one big pig. He looks kinda evil too. Is the tree stand for better visibility or self defense? Hope those things can't climb.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, that pig is huge. Nice shootin.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kalwasart said:
That is one big pig, Chris can we us the photo on our website?

Art

Art, YES, please do. I can send you several others in which I used the SSA factory ammo to shoot big pigs, if you would like one or two more :wink:

For all you others, I will shoot one in the shoulder and see if it goes down with one shot. I suspect it will. With an Accubond, a TTSX and some different bullet weights coming to the market, I think you can do just about anything you need to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am axious to see what a shot to the shoulder with an accubond will do. I am currently working on my accubond rounds.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Looks like my 6.8 made the cut, I will be using it on the mule deer/elk hunt next week.
I tested the Accubonds again today at 250yds, they are .410 BC. Apx 3.6" high at 100 and 200 and dead on at 300.
under 3" group at 250 in the rain so I think I'm good to 400yds.
Now I just hope grandfauker is still alive or one of his sons grew up.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I hope to blast one or two in feb and I will bring the range of factory loaded ammo from SSA.

I hope I can kill a big pig like that :D

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Magnumwideglide said:
How much does a silencer cost? Never had one. I think they're legal for us now. I'm Michigan LEO as well. Who do you roder from etc? Ko-tonics 18".
Cans start at about $500 and go up from there. You also have to pay a $200 tax to uncle sam.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all you guys wondering, suppressors really are a big advantage. I can shoot every gun I have with that .30 cal can, since they are all .30 cal or smaller, and I do NOT have to wear ear protection. When hog hunting, hearing them coming is a must.

Moreover, animals cannot tell from where the sound is coming, because there is virtually no muzzle blast, just sonic crack, and that does not have the low frequency boom of the unsuppressed muzzle blast.

Many times, I have shot a pig while deer were standing nearby, and they didn't even flinch! If you get some subsonics, they can be just stupid quiet, and quite alot of fun. They really do a number on the raccoons.

If you are considering....BUY ONE! You will never want to shoot your guns unsuppressed after that, trust me.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Check your regs first! They are not legal to hunt with in Okla.
I have a 223 can but really wish I would have gotten the 7.62 :(

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
angsniper said:

In TX, hogs are a NON-game animal and therefore can be hunted with suppressors, night vision, Tannerite, and from helicopters if so desired.

We do not hunt deer with suppressors, though I find it utterly ironic that if OSHA were to regulate the business of firearms and hunting, they would REQUIRE sound suppression. :?

The way I see it, I have every right to protect my hearing as best possible, but I grudgingly tolerate that godawful BOOOOOM when I shoot a deer.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I just hate to thinik about paying that money for something I should be allowed to own.....

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
I'm in total agreement. I just don't trust the game warden who could "say" I was hunting deer even though I was only hunting pigs. They're like the Gestapo here.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
angsniper said:
After re-reading this I want to make sure I wasn't mis understood so below is how it was meant to read...

"Be sure and check your regs before hunting with a suppressor".
I didn't want anyone to think I was saying that you cannot use it and are wrong to do so. It's illegal in Okla for hunting and I wouldn't trust a warden to take my word that I was only hunting pigs. I'm not sure I trust them at all as I've witnessed several displaying illegal behavior themselves. I pulled up next to one on the passenger side of his official truck to ask him a question about hunting areas and sat there while he lobbed 5 shots from his rifle out his drivers window at an antelope while parked on the side of the hiway. I think he about shit himself when he turned and saw me there :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Man $700 is pricey. Someone told my dad once decades ago that if you put a baby bottle nipple on the end of a .22 muzzle, it worked like a silencer. My dad bolted out the door and we must looked like a site after we pulled the old bottle nipples on with zero sound suppression. Idiot must still be laughing, but I think dad read it somewhere if memory serves me.

I've heard of making them, but know nothing about it. It would be nice just to shoot in my back yard to just see what the chrony says on some loads. Legal for me to shoot in my township, but you keep ticking the neighbors off and I could just see the ordinance come out.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Magnumwideglide said:
Man $700 is pricey. Someone told my dad once decades ago that if you put a baby bottle nipple on the end of a .22 muzzle, it worked like a silencer. My dad bolted out the door and we must looked like a site after we pulled the old bottle nipples on with zero sound suppression. Idiot must still be laughing, but I think dad read it somewhere if memory serves me.

I've heard of making them, but know nothing about it. It would be nice just to shoot in my back yard to just see what the chrony says on some loads. Legal for me to shoot in my township, but you keep ticking the neighbors off and I could just see the ordinance come out.

I lost about 40 fps on my 5.56 with 16" barrel

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, good to know. But I mean generally knowing what velocity I'm getting before pressure on various guns/loads. Saves me a few 18 mile round trips to my brother's place to shoot. Like through my AK I found Winchester 123 gr 7.62x39 bullets give me another 100 fps over the Hornady I believe it is (Federal factory). So then I'd load up Win bullets and then head to the range with loads. For me it would be a big time saver.

What companies carry them that are priced as good as you can get, and are reputable??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts