6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw today InBev finished up the deal and will be buying AB. Their went another company overseas. Hated to see it since AB has been a local icon for many years.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
I don't know InBev either :?:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Think beer.

See below

Anheuser-Busch

AS in the maker of the American ICON

Budweiser

Indev is the 3 largest beer maker in the world but is European.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Couple points.

First, a story for emptybrass: back many moons ago when I was working in St Louis right out of college, my colleagues used to go across the street to a bar called Harry's, which was an upscale place and always full of hot women. It was also a favorite watering hole of Auggie Busch IV, who is now the CEO, but back then was a thirty-something party-boy. So one day after coming in on his custom Harley with some arm candy holding on to his back and acting like he owned the place, we sent him and his date a round of Miller Lites. You should have seen him go into a rage trying to figure out who did it. Still cracks me up to this day!

As for AB being bought by InBev, InBev distributes like 200+ beers, including Stella and Beck's. It is based in Belgium, but is really owned by the Brazilians. Did you guys know that 80% of the beer market is no longer made in America? Bud -- Belgian/Brazilian. Miller? Nope -- South African. Coors? Umm....Canadian now. Remember the days when the "imports" section of beers was the smaller one of the two?????

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mark21 said:
Couple points.

First, a story for emptybrass: back many moons ago when I was working in St Louis right out of college, my colleagues used to go across the street to a bar called Harry's, which was an upscale place and always full of hot women. It was also a favorite watering hole of Auggie Busch IV, who is now the CEO, but back then was a thirty-something party-boy. So one day after coming in on his custom Harley with some arm candy holding on to his back and acting like he owned the place, we sent him and his date a round of Miller Lites. You should have seen him go into a rage trying to figure out who did it. Still cracks me up to this day!

As for AB being bought by InBev, InBev distributes like 200+ beers, including Stella and Beck's. It is based in Belgium, but is really owned by the Brazilians. Did you guys know that 80% of the beer market is no longer made in America? Bud -- Belgian/Brazilian. Miller? Nope -- South African. Coors? Umm....Canadian now. Remember the days when the "imports" section of beers was the smaller one of the two?????

You may have just ruined my day by informing me that Coors is no longer brewed with that crisp taste of rocky mountians finest....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys. Yeah its beer.

Mark21 That is hilarious. I would have done the same. LOL

It just makes me mad. I drive by AB alot. I just wont look at it the same.

Sucks!

If we searched alot of big corps I bet we would find majority of them are not held by the US. SAD!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cold -- let me see if I can try and save some of your day: it still is brewed out in Colorado; the owner is just different. Molson in Canada gets the profits.

And Emptybrass -- there are two ways to think about this... I understand where you are coming from, as I was a big fan of AB being an icon of America, like Coke or McDonalds. But since I am in finance, I know how complicated this can be. Here is one way to think about it: InBev is a public company. True, based in Belgium and Brazil, but the majority of the stock is owned by shareholders in the United States, mostly large mutual and pension funds. Who invests in funds and pension funds? Regular americans. So in a way, it just was transfered from one set of American shareholders to another, under a different name. Like I said, it is never clear-cut as the politicians like to make it out to be, like when back in the early 90s the Big Three carmakers came out with the whole "Buy American" thing. Well -- Toyota makes cars in the US, using US parts, and employing US people. Ford owned Range Rover and Jaguar (English car companies). Chrysler owned Lamborghini and I think parts of Nissan and suzuki. So what is exactly American....?

Man, all this talk makes me want to pop open a beer! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, maybe I need to just start buying ever share I can and eventually get it back. Anyone wanna donate to my idea? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah beer! I was thinking firearms. That sucks.

Just wait long enough and they all will be bought by Cerberus (who owns a lot of firearms companies AND Chrysler)....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm in the same business as Cerberus (except they are magnitudes bigger than my firm) and all I gotta say is that they are getting KILLED on Chrysler... never forsaw the $4+ oil and high costs of everything, from steel to rubber to everything else. I do like that they own firearm companies though, as the game in private equity is to clean up a company, and then grow it large. Larger firearm companies means more firearms, more employees working in that industry (which matters to local Senators), etc. I just hope they don't decide to stop focusing on the civ market and start military-only initiatives...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts