6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I want to buy a 6.8mm AR-type rifle that will shoot MOA. I've never owned an AR, but think it is the best platform for what I want (target/varmit/whitetail deer hunting). Haven't shot an AR since my 2nd VietNam tour. Carried an M-14 1st time, an M-16 2nd time. I am a handloader, but not a gunsmith, hence I want to buy a rifle that will shoot MOA out of the box with a good scope installed. Any and all advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, any handloading information for this cartridge (bullet make/weight, best powders/primers, etc. would also greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome aboard. There are several 6.8SPC AR's that can easily get you sub-MOA, especially with handloads. Generally stainless steel barrels are slightly more accurate, but I can get sub-moa with my 16" Ko-Tonics Chrome lined barrel. Just start shoppig around. Here are some companies to check out:

1. Ko-Tonics.
2. Denny's Guns GTS.
3. MSTN.
4. Noveski.
5. AR15barrels.com
6. RRA.
7. CMMG.
8. STAG.
9. Bushmaster.

As far as reloading, go to the reloading page on this site and you will find tons of reloading info and some ideas on what kind of accuracy you can expect.

http://www.68forums.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Hers's an example of two 10 round shot groups:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Should find everything you need for the 6.8 on this site. I think about every bullet offering is addressed somewhere in the reloading section. Members are always willing to help just post your question.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you don't mind the rifles weight Stag's 7H can shoot moa with factory ammo and with proper handloading can achieve bolt gun accuracy (1/2").

But some others to look into that can shoot moa or under are
ARP
Bison
Wilson Combat
just to name a few

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Man digging up a 5 yo post lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha I just noticed that. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. I feel like a dope:a43:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
If you don't mind the rifles weight Stag's 7H can shoot moa with factory ammo and with proper handloading can achieve bolt gun accuracy (1/2").

But some others to look into that can shoot moa or under are
ARP (custom chamber & Melonited)
Bison
Wilson Combat
just to name a few
I like that list & Stage & Noveske(also, custom chamber, $$$) from the other.

There is plenty of reloading information on this sight. Even an 'Ammo and Reloading' section.
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Welcome! I started with a DPMS SPC II 16" upper on a home built lower. It will shoot moa,but I am working on a mid-length upper. All your reloading questions can be worked out here. Many knowledgeable people on this forum. You can also find many components at great prices in the for sale/trade section.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We must be the same age as I also used both the M14 and then the M16. The AR is nothing like the M16. It took me 25 years to warm up to the idea of getting an AR. I started with a DPMS with a 16 inch chrome lined barrel. It was a very accurate rifle with factory ammunition. I hesitate recogmend a particular brand as those posting here have much more experience than I. But I can say that if you purchase a DI gas system from a quality manufacturer you should expect an MOA rifle. I have owned DPMS, Stag and now own LMT and LWRC. The Stag was much better than the DPMS as far as quality goes. Folks here are always willing to give advise and or post their experience so feel free to ask away.
I still own an M1A with a beautiful tiger walnut stock just for old times sake. It's a wonderful rifle but keep up with the modern ARs.
Stingray

·
Registered
266 Posts
This thread cracks me up. But it's also proof after 5 years it's still a friendly bunch of guys trying to help a new? 6.8 shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts