6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was in the process of mounting a newly purchased Vortex Viper PST scope this evening I noticed a fair amount of what appears to be a brown/red-ish looking substance (grease maybe?) under both of the turret caps (tactical-style caps). I don't think I would have paid too much attention to it if not for having a few other Vortex scopes (all Viper PST's) and I've never seen any substance under any of those turret caps. It's been a few years since my last Vortex purchase so perhaps this is new but I'd like to at least make sure this is normal (or not)?

Any information and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Sorry...I should have posted in the Accessories section...my bad.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My Vortex scope, Crossfire II, did not have grease under the turret caps but I noticed some grease on the adjustable eyepiece barrel.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies!

I spoke with Vortex his morning and they said it wasn't anything they put on their scopes, and that any of the lubricant they use is clear anyhow. The tech of course couldn't say why it was there or where it came from but suggested I shoot the scope and see if it was fine. So I went out and zeroed it @ 100 yards and after doing so was only left with 6 MIL of elevation remaining (appx. 20 MOA)...this is for an AR308 that I shoot out to about 800 yards and 6 MIL will get me no further than 650 yards. I purchased this new scope (MRAD model) to replace the same PST 2.5-10x44 I already have in the MOA version but am selling to a buddy who wants the MOA model (all my other scopes are MIL so it worked out great)...anyhow...the MOA scope I already have, when zeroed @ 100 yards in the exact same mount (on the same rifle of course) still has about 47 MOA remaining (which is appx. 13.6 MIL). Long story short...something isn't right with this scope...originally ordered it from Midway...spoke with them today...ordered another new one (Midway has the MRAD version on sale right now for $450) and am returning this one to them without any hassles. Hopefully the next one will be trouble-free.

On a side note, both Vortex and Midway were very good to deal with...no hassles, no BS, good customer service!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad it worked out. This is why I buy Trijicon instead.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Glad it worked out. This is why I buy Trijicon instead.

I doubt anyone has ever had any issues with their Trijicon and the limited warranties they offer...

I buy vortex because they back their product for LIFE. And I've never had to use their warranty, and I have 14 of their optics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd buy Vortex, but I don't like their quality of glass. Not sure about Trijicon's warranty. No one I know has ever had to use it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
trijicon

Trigicon will take care of you as well. I have an ACOG that i bought in 2000, or 2001. The windage adjustments shot craps, (why i don't know) and i called and they asked for the serial no. i gave it to them and sent it back and it was repaired with no charge. I'd say any quality scope manufacturer would do the same though. Glad you got your rifle set up. i've got a Vortex and i really like it and it didn't have the issue you're talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts