6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for advice.
i have on order a stag 6.8 (ordered before i saw this site) for deer hunting. but i would like to get a 5.56/.223 upper for other times of the year. just needing something to shoot small varmits like rabbits coons (things around that size.)
i was thinking of getting a Stag Model 6H (24' barrel). i do not claim to know alot about the AR's as i learn something everyday from this site (thanks guys). just wondering if this would upper would work for me, and your thoughts of Stag.

side note: what factory ammo would you use.

thank you all.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Aramark said:
i'm looking for advice.
i have on order a stag 6.8 (ordered before i saw this site) for deer hunting. but i would like to get a 5.56/.223 upper for other times of the year. just needing something to shoot small varmits like rabbits coons (things around that size.)
i was thinking of getting a Stag Model 6H (24' barrel). i do not claim to know alot about the AR's as i learn something everyday from this site (thanks guys). just wondering if this would upper would work for me, and your thoughts of Stag.

side note: what factory ammo would you use.

thank you all.
That's a good choice for a Varmint Rifle. For ammo, just use any of the 40-55 Gr. Ballitic Tip ammo.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i wasn't sure if that was to long thanks. i was thinking SSA 55gain.

and a 5.56 can shoot .223 ammo but not the other way around right? or do i have the backwards.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Aramark said:
ok i wasn't sure if that was to long thanks. i was thinking SSA 55gain.

and a 5.56 can shoot .223 ammo but not the other way around right? or do i have the backwards.
Correct, the 5.56 and Wylde chambered AR will shoot anything. The .223 AR will only shoot .223 loaded ammo.

That Stag Varminter has a 5.56 Chamber so you can shoot anything through it, including the SSA ammo.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have you handled it? A 24" heavy barrel AR is going to be pretty front heavy. Fine if you are shooting off a bench or bipod but sucks for offhand use. Stag makes a pretty nice AR for the $$$ as does RRA. I am partial to Bushmaster's predator setup (fluted 20" HB) but I do more walking for my groundhog and coyote hunting. If I were shooting prarie dogs from a fixed position the setup you mentioned would be very good. Make sure to invest in a good trigger for your lower as well. What twist does the Stag barrel have? 1/9 or faster is better for the lighter bullets you will want to shoot.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1/8 twist. i plan on only shooting it from a fixed position. i was looking at a 20' from RRA. i'm still looking, reading and learning.
thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I think (and I could be wrong) that you may lose a little accuracy using a 5.56 chamber vs a Wylde or 223

1 - 8 of 8 Posts