6.8 SPC Forums banner

VA 10 point AAR

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ccoker 
#1 ·
I have already posted this in the AR rifle thread but wanted to put up a full AAR.

I was hunting on Thanksgiving morning when this guy rolled in behind my stand. He was about 60 yards away heading at an angle down toward me. I thought he already winded me, so I took the first good shot that I had through the trees. I hit him with my freshly built 6.8 SPC with a Trijicon ACOG TA01 on top with Silver State Armory's Sierra 110gr ProHunter normal load. Shot was to the base of the neck on his right side. It dropped him exactly where I shot him. He fell like nothing I have ever seen, he just plumeted down like someone flipped his lightswitch. It was amazing.

When I got to him I finally realized his size. I was a little confused as there was no bullet exit. His neck was pretty big but I expected it to exit? When my buddy and I finally got him out and back to my home, we skinned him out and dropped him off at my local shop for mount work.

Two days of hanging and it was starting to warm up so I decided to butcher him out early. After taking off the right shoulder, I moved to the left and there and then.. Wow.. lots of blood. After I seperated the shoulder, I was able to look in and noticed a clear 2" hole in his left shoulder from the neck/chest. I opened it up there and noticed that the bullet had shattered the first rib at the spine. Going back to the shoulder, the bullet then shattered the femur at the ball and bullet fragments were found in the shoulder blade. My buddy had thought that the front left leg was weird when we were bringing him out but we didn't think about it again.

Here are the bullet fragments that I recovered. Original bullet weight was 110 gr. recovered weight was 72.2 gr. I am sure that there were more in there, but it was a mess and I didn't want to funk up my handheld metal detector that I use for woodworking.

I am pleased with the results and happy it was a fast and clean kill. My buddy also hunts with a 6.8 and his doe last week was another quick clean kill.

This is also my first buck. I have watched a bunch walk by as the landowner's rule is does anytime, but bucks must be something you would mount. I think I did okay this time.

Talked to my shop today and he was 7.5 years old. Amazing...

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful Buck and great report...

Congratulations...!

Chalk up another solid kill for Pro Hunters.

What state...?

Kerry

#9 ·
Very nice Deer and nice shooting also. Those pro hunters do work on deer...

#13 ·
SSA's 110gr Sierra ProHunter. It am really impressed by them. My buddy and I both use them and they have put everything down we have shot with them. The other day my buddy crank'd a suitcase deer.. crockpot deer.. skipper.. whatever you want to call it.. with a neck shot just below the skull and it nealy decapitated her.

#14 ·
I punched a button with a similar shot when my buddy took his suitcase deer except I was running my 308 with 150gr Combined Technology Ballistic Tips. This is a bonded bullet and it pretty much did the exact same thing as the 110gr ProHunter did. Entrance was behind the right shoulder and cut through the heart and ended up in the left shoulder. Broke the femur but didn't exit.

I have a lot more respect for the ProHunter now. That little button was nothing to what that ProHunter had pushed through..

I was interested in the accubonds.. but I think I am a hard time believer now. I think the only time I might change up would be for boar or a similar thick skinned animal.

#15 ·
The pro hunters have proved themselves on a lot of deer this year, the accubonds seem to be good as well, but I think unless are hunting heavier deer or larger game they aren't needed.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.