6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talked to a guy today at MSAR, and they are coming out with a new version of the STG soon. It will accept the AR magazines, and will be called the "E4". The 6.8SPC barrel specs were dictated by SSA's standard requirement for their ammo since MSAR felt they lead the industry in terms of 6.8SPC ammo. Barrels are going to be SPC II, 1:11 twist (I forgot to ask how many grooves). The only difference for the left handed bolts on these are the angle that is drilled into the cam head bolt. You will have the option of purchasing either the rifle in 6.8SPC configuration, or a barrel and bolt as an upgrade if you have the 5.56. He said its VERY fast to change out. I thought it was interesting that they did this change over to accept AR mags because the 6.8 gave them issues with a composite mag. Personally don't like the price tag on these, but I was checking one out this past weekend at a show and for as awkward as it looks, its actually fairly comfortable to shoulder. I like how compact it is while keeping a 16" barrel. I'ld like to try playing with one in a vehicle to see how well she swings...

·
Registered
615 Posts
WOW that sounds nice. Thanks for the updated info. I handled one at a shop a few months back and really liked it--the weight really does seem to disappear when you shoulder it because of the bullpup configuration.

I half-figured that the plans to produce a 6.8 were pretty far off...who knows, maybe there will be a mile-long waiting list, but it's still great that they're going forward with production--especially with the improved specs. Goes to show that the senior members of this board have really made some great progress improving the 6.8 and also demonstrating that to mfrs.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The original AUG has a NATO stock that was created for NATO standardized mags.. aka M16 pattern. And Steyr has plans to bring the AUG to the US again. Maybe MSAR moved to the AR mag version ahead of the real AUGs coming to head off any Steyr claims of more economical magazines. It also just happens to make the 6.8 conversion much easier.

Another rifle with proper barrel specs. Nice huh? :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I remember back in the 80's when Steyr brought out the AUG originally. Handling one in my favorite old town Alexandria gun shop, it did shoulder extremely well.

Another one of the should have got one way back when!!! :-(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Goes to show that the senior members of this board have really made some great progress improving the 6.8 and also demonstrating that to mfrs.
Yep. In 2009, any company introducing new rifles with the Remington chamber and/or any twist faster than 1:11" really has to be viewed as clueless at best if not downright irresponsible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
And Steyr has plans to bring the AUG to the US again.
Steyr is already producing and selling them in the US. Not in huge numbers but they are out there.

Example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130788353

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130045050

I owned a Steyr AUG from about 1988 to 1992. It was a fine rifle. Had to love how compact it was for the barrel length. The only reason I sold it was that Bush 41 signed an import ban and the prices shot up. It was suddenly worth 3-4x what I paid for it new. So every time I took it to the range and just played around with it, I felt like I was burning money. Finally sold it for a pile of cash and used that to buy two other guns, a Leupold scope, and reloading stuff for both new guns.

Honestly, I still miss it. Only gun I ever sold and I wouldn't do it again. So I have looked at the various AUG's for sale now. I especially love the new A3 style. I actually liked the original Austrian scope with the little doughnut but it was only 1.5x. Great for combat but it always bugged me that I couldn't swap it out for a higher powered scope for the range or varmint hunting. Being able to change the scopes in the A3 version is a big improvement.

Gregg

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Steyr is already producing and selling them in the US. Not in huge numbers but they are out there.

Example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130788353

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130045050

I owned a Steyr AUG from about 1988 to 1992. It was a fine rifle. Had to love how compact it was for the barrel length. The only reason I sold it was that Bush 41 signed an import ban and the prices shot up. It was suddenly worth 3-4x what I paid for it new. So every time I took it to the range and just played around with it, I felt like I was burning money. Finally sold it for a pile of cash and used that to buy two other guns, a Leupold scope, and reloading stuff for both new guns.

Honestly, I still miss it. Only gun I ever sold and I wouldn't do it again. So I have looked at the various AUG's for sale now. I especially love the new A3 style. I actually liked the original Austrian scope with the little doughnut but it was only 1.5x. Great for combat but it always bugged me that I couldn't swap it out for a higher powered scope for the range or varmint hunting. Being able to change the scopes in the A3 version is a big improvement.

Gregg
Good find Gregg. I haven't seen any Steyrs at area gun shows and we have some big dealers and distributors.

I'm hoping the first few are going to collectors and "must havers" at those prices because right now the MSAR's are hundreds less.

I won't mention that I had a chance to buy a Steyr AUG for $850 several years ago and didn't. Not a good move huh?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys have a preference of MSAR or Steyr, and why? The guy I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable, and even invited me to tour their facility whenever I get back home (the MSAR facility is pretty close to where I grew up). I've not had the pleasure of checking out a Steyr...

·
Registered
413 Posts
The AUG is one of those rifles that has to be held to be appreciated. That's great news that MSAR is gonna offer a proper 6.8 barrel and it'll accept STANAG mags. Hope my financial situation stabilizes soon enough to allow purchase of one. Price is about the only negative I've seen in reviews of the MSAR STG.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone know the accuracy or reliability of these guys? That's very cool that it's coming in the right spec 6.8 configuration.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Anyone know the accuracy or reliability of these guys? That's very cool that it's coming in the right spec 6.8 configuration.
Reliability should be fine. The Austrian military has used AUG's for years so it is a proven platform.

Accuracy? It depends.. their trigger is not a match trigger at all, and their barrels are accurate combat barrels not like an AR15Performance SAM-R match barrel.

Their main advantages are SBR length rifle with the full ballistic advantage of a 16-20 inch barrel. So think of how you would use an SBR and you can do the same things with an AUG but your bullets have the higher velocity from a standard length barrel, and you don't have to go through the waiting period of the ATF SBR process. You just buy it, go through the NICS, and take it home.

The one I almost bought, the trigger was on the heavy side and didn't feel like it was as directly connected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts