6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to Texas for a hog hunt and have some federal fusion and hornady v max on hand. I'm not sure if how well they will work on a hog, ive never hunted them before. I do have some barnes TSX 95 grain projectiles on hand but haven't hound any load data yet. Does anyone have any recommendations? Your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just got home from a hunt .
I would avoid the V max an A max would be ok.

The pigs we've shot weren't all that tough but they will be more in the mud now than a month ago . We've killed them up to 200# with 45 Colts carbines from 50 yd to ft . I wanted to take 1 with the 6.8 this yr but it didn't work out . 30 WCF, 45 Colts, 35 Rem and 257 Roberts did fine .

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Are you referring to Barnes' 95 gr TTSX? If it's got the blue tip its a TTXS. This forum has a lot of information of that bullet. Excellent choice too for hunting. I'm not aware of Barnes making a 95 gr TSX. Barnes does make a 110 gr TSX that's also a good hunting cartridge. The Federal Fusion will certainly work too.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I am headed to Texas for a hog hunt and have some federal fusion and hornady v max on hand. I'm not sure if how well they will work on a hog, ive never hunted them before. I do have some barnes TSX 95 grain projectiles on hand but haven't hound any load data yet. Does anyone have any recommendations? Your input would be appreciated.
I have a load for you, but be reminded that this is with SSA brass, and your brass may not allow for the same total capacity. My load is approx 56,000 PSI, so keep that in mind, making sure you have at least the SPCII chamber, not SAAMI.

This load knocks the crap out of feral pigs, and if you hit bone, they go down.

95 TTSX, SSA brass, CCI 41 primer and 30 grains of AA2200, seated to approx 2.285-2.295" OAL. This load gives about 2860 FPS from a 16" barrel and has good trajectory. Use others' reload data at your own risk.

Zero range: 50 /200

50 - 0.0"

100 - +1.3"

200 - 0.0"

300 - -8.6" (roughly equal to 1 mil hold, so its easy)

Fusion is OK, and VMax is not recommended for hogs because they come apart.

Good luck, hope that helps

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Learn where the shoot a hog. Much different from a deer. Neck shot between the ear and shoulder 1/3 of the way bring them down the fastest. Broadside lung shot is a small spot protected by the leg. Others may have a better description for shot placements. There may even be a sticky on hog anatomy. Fusion will do the job with good weight retention and expansion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is indeed the TTSX 95 grain bullet and not TSX, my error. I have hand loaded for many years but am new to the Barnes bullets and usually only load for bolt guns. I have killed a couple of deer with the 6.8 using the Federal Fusion but was concerned if it was adequate for hogs. I really like the 6.8 and have gotten my sons shooting them now. My daughter-in-law actually killed her first deer last year with her husband's 6.8 and now she claims the rifle as her own! Thanks guys for your input, it is appreciated.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
I have a load for you, but be reminded that this is with SSA brass, and your brass may not allow for the same total capacity. My load is approx 56,000 PSI, so keep that in mind, making sure you have at least the SPCII chamber, not SAAMI.

This load knocks the crap out of feral pigs, and if you hit bone, they go down.

95 TTSX, SSA brass, CCI 41 primer and 30 grains of AA2200, seated to approx 2.285-2.295" OAL. This load gives about 2860 FPS from a 16" barrel and has good trajectory. Use others' reload data at your own risk.

Zero range: 50 /200

50 - 0.0"

100 - +1.3"

200 - 0.0"

300 - -8.6" (roughly equal to 1 mil hold, so its easy)

Fusion is OK, and VMax is not recommended for hogs because they come apart.

Good luck, hope that helps
^^^THIS^^^

heres my blacky hunt using 95ttsx, DRT. went through bone and retained 99%, perfect mushroom lodged against hide on offside

1 - 9 of 9 Posts