6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the range with a new 6.8 (not SPC II) a old barrel unshot ever since 2013.. Prob SPC I chamber.
The SAA Norma was HORRIBLE with split necks and case neck separation. Four even splits. Odd that it shot great for the issues.
REVIEW THE IMAGE..

The Hornady 110 gr was the best so far out of a new barrel @ under .4MOA. Unbelievable... 14 power scope. @ 100 yards.

Cheap barrel with not remembered origin and a Daniel Defence bolt ( My Fav for 6.8 SPC).

At this accuracy I am not doing load workup.. But it is unusual that the NORMA was ruining cases....!

I am using a SIde charging upper which is SWEET. Of course this has no bearing on accuracy.. Just easier to use.
6.8 scan.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
NOSLER is know for having crappy brass for the 6.8 so im not too surprised by the SSA split necks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
21,644 Posts
NORMA IS A BRAND OF QUALITY BRASS and the AMMO is made by them. Apparent the necks were not annealed and split 4 sides equally.
Nosler owns SSA and makes their brass/ammo. "Nosler" is NOT "Norma".

Reactions: MBW36330

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I stand corrected I cut through the small print opening the box and made a assumption which was wrong.. Either way the brass was sized .003 less than my SAAMI gauge. The cause of the issues was that brass giving way to a out of spec brass- Unusual as it still shot sub MOA!!! even with case head separation and split necks. !!!!! I was upset since I spent good money on one shot brass by Nosler..which clouded my typing.

·
Super Moderator
21,644 Posts
Sad to hear SSA isn't what it once was. It used to be the gold standard for anything 6.8 SPC.

·
Super Moderator
21,644 Posts
Nosler killed that
With the proliferation of 6.5G ammo/brass being offered by them (Nosler)... I'm going to assume that decision makers in that company are 6.5G fanbois, wanting to see the demise of the 6.8 SPC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even so- with all he hubub about accuracy I can't believe I can get sub .5 MOA with factory ammo out of a Bear Creek side charge upper and BCA Barrel before they stopped making them!
I did however buy a Daniel Defense bolt.. I have spent many more hundreds of dollars with other calibers to just come close to this gun.. I always go with the adage that you can't harvest what you can't hit.. One Shot- One Kill!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Interesting?:geek:🧐........The only bad time I know of for SSA Brass was the period between Art K. leaving & Nosler taking over. Some think they were clearing out the seconds & thirds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is your probably right.. the remaining ammo measured ..003 short of SAMMI specs. Those were in the past, unfortunate that is what I had to shoot with. Also it is worth paying attention to MFG dates.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Interesting?:geek:🧐........The only bad time I know of for SSA Brass was the period between Art K. leaving & Nosler taking over. Some think they were clearing out the seconds & thirds.
I know the current SSA loads are nothing compared to the old ones when Art had it. I try to avoid it if i can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts