6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used one of these the clean their Ar's? There's a place that advertises rifle cleaning with an Ultra Sonic cleaner here in SA. Will it cause any problems cleaning the whole rifle with this process? My main concern is with my barrel. Don't want it to throw off the accuracy.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have been using an ultra sonic cleaner for years. Now with that said mine is small and I use it for BCG and I could and have cleaned my SS 1911 just the body of the gun minus hand grips and the slide.I have used to clean pistol barrels. So are you saying this thing you can put your whole rifle in? If so I would still break it down as far as possible. Not sure I would put like Magpul furniture in it. They work great I use Hornaday gun parts cleaner. There are also brass cleaners to clean spent brass but I would rather tumble my brass using SS pins cleans better for me. I don't think I Would not put painted parts in it.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i clean bolts and bolt carriers in an ultrasonic cleaner, also use hornady parts cleaning solution. never have put anything larger than that in it,,,well it's too small to begin with LOL

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm more aware of the small one's myself. From my understanding, mainly by talking with them, the machine is huge. Like the size of a large table. They had to get special transport to move it to their new shop. That said, I still don't know if I'm comfortable letting them submerge my entire rife. The upper is coated, and I followed the barrel break in process when I first got it. I should just clean it myself, but I'm lazy.

The dealer offering the service promises it will work great, but of course they have to promote what they have there.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use a smaller benchtop-size ultrasonic cleaner to clean all manner of small metal parts without any ill effects. It works especially well for getting in the hard to reach corners of BCGs. I justified the purchase to my wife by offering to clean her jewelry whenever she asks - she takes me up on the offer weekly, and I haven't heard anything but good things about that $80 I spent at Harbor Freight. Simple Green and hot water work wonders on just about anything.

Things I've cleaned without issue:

- BCGs, phosphate and NiB coated
- blued pistol barrels/receivers/small parts
- stainless parts
- jewelry, gold/silver/tungsten carbide - be careful with watches, as the color fill on the dial can be taken off if run for too long.
- brass
- magazines, blued/stainless/nickel plated

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a smaller benchtop-size ultrasonic cleaner to clean all manner of small metal parts without any ill effects. It works especially well for getting in the hard to reach corners of BCGs. I justified the purchase to my wife by offering to clean her jewelry whenever she asks - she takes me up on the offer weekly, and I haven't heard anything but good things about that $80 I spent at Harbor Freight. Simple Green and hot water work wonders on just about anything.

- stainless parts
- jewelry, gold/silver/tungsten carbide - be careful with watches, as the color fill on the dial can be taken off if run for too long.
- brass
If I don't find anyone that's actually stuck an entire upper in one, like that Hornady "Hot Tub" one mentioned earilier, I might look into the one at harbor freight. That doesn't seem like a bad investment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I don't find anyone that's actually stuck an entire upper in one, like that Hornady "Hot Tub" one mentioned earilier, I might look into the one at harbor freight. That doesn't seem like a bad investment.
I have the little one from HF- get the one with the heater, it works much better. I would not put aluminum in an US- look up cavitation of aluminum in water. I have taken a 2"x2" square of the HD Reynolds Wrap AL foil and put it in mine. After 120 seconds, you can see through it. I tried with a AL pop can. Took a little longer, but could see through it too. I'm sure the anodizing and other coatings on the upper receiver are a lot stronger than the coatings o those two pieces of AL, but I wouldn't do it. The do work great on steel and brass and the wife's rings. I have put 1911s and a Ruger MKII 22 pistol in mine and worked great. I did put a NiB charging handle in mine with water and Purple Power 50/50 mix and the NiB got discolored, but I'm betting that was from the PPower. That stuff is strong.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have the little one from HF- get the one with the heater, it works much better. I would not put aluminum in an US- look up cavitation of aluminum in water. I have taken a 2"x2" square of the HD Reynolds Wrap AL foil and put it in mine. After 120 seconds, you can see through it. I tried with a AL pop can. Took a little longer, but could see through it too. I'm sure the anodizing and other coatings on the upper receiver are a lot stronger than the coatings o those two pieces of AL, but I wouldn't do it. The do work great on steel and brass and the wife's rings. I have put 1911s and a Ruger MKII 22 pistol in mine and worked great. I did put a NiB charging handle in mine with water and Purple Power 50/50 mix and the NiB got discolored, but I'm betting that was from the PPower. That stuff is strong.
PPower is some strong stuff eat you hands up too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tried my 1911 slide and barrel in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic. Did pretty well, be sure to oil it up afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Tried my 1911 slide and barrel in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic. Did pretty well, be sure to oil it up afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It cleans it well but does strip all the oil out. I frog lubed mine well. If you don't main spring will rust.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A can of compressed air comes in handy to rapidly dry out those hard to reach spaces of bolts/slides/etc. Or just pop it in the oven for a little while. Oil thoroughly afterwards!

·
Registered
152 Posts

- stainless parts
- brass
Genius, I need to propose this dual purpose solution too.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts