6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been doing some reading.
My Ko-Tonics barrel passed the "gauge" test, and shoots well. I have just a touch of high pressure signs on SSA combat load brass.
What should I expect from running a set of the Final Finish bullets down this barrel?
Can I reasonably expect them to lab the barrel enough to lower pressure?
I also just installed the Tubbs buffer spring, but haven't shot it yet....waiting on my scope.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
What chamber?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
After speaking wth Tim_W, I'm a firm believer in the Tubbs. I ordered them for my .223 and 6.8 SPC. I would defiitely order it and try it and see if it helps out. Either way, I would still get the chamber checked just to be sure.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I used it in my bolt gun, she needs the finer version to finish it up but it did improve the cleaning, I just need to improve it a little more....

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Tim and constructor both say you can lap Chrome so I would bet Final finish would do something...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've got a Cardinal Armory 16" light weight upper that is chrome lined. It showed signs of pressure with the comabt OTM's. But when I had it's chamber reamed out there was hardly anything there and it passed the pin drop test. After only about 100 to 200 rounds it was very copper fouled so I don't know if that is what is causing the pressure. I'm just wondering if I lapped the bore if it would help.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
rcrandall said:
I've got a Cardinal Armory 16" light weight upper that is chrome lined. It showed signs of pressure with the comabt OTM's. But when I had it's chamber reamed out there was hardly anything there and it passed the pin drop test. After only about 100 to 200 rounds it was very copper fouled so I don't know if that is what is causing the pressure. I'm just wondering if I lapped the bore if it would help.
I would give the Tubb's a try. It definitely should help out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are talking about hand loading Tubbs .270 final finish right? He doesn't offer a 6.8 pre-loaded final finish does he? :?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Correct, TH .270 TFF uses 135 GR Sierra GameKing bullets. So when you load them pleas take that and the fact they are going to have higher friction into account. I use 1 grain above the minimum suggested for a 130-135 gr bullet as hey use Rem cases and I use SSAs. You want the bullets to properly seal the bore so you don't want to go too low but they are 135 grs. The one thing YOU MUST DO is clean h barrel till here is not a spec of anything whatsoever in that bore or throat. I suggest JB bore paste for this after first using a chemical cleaner then follow up the JB with the chemical cleaner again. Don't forget to push a lightly oiled patch thru after clean followed by a dry one as you don't want to shoot a squeaky dry bore. Shoot the firs group of 10 then clean again unlit is perfectly clean once again. Then goto to shooting group 2 of 10 and repeat until you are thru all 5 groups for a total of 50 shots.

I am not sure how it will work for the Nitro Carb coated barrels but I an tell you for a fact that if the bore is rough so will be the finished coated bore. One new barrel that was having some accuracy issue was scoped and found to be heavily fouled and the bore rough which may show the need to break in the barrel bore if the Nitro C can be smoothed /polished like CL. If so then I would think the Tubbs would be a great option. It all depends on the properties of the nitro C.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
At Tims discretion he lapped my new woa ss barrel with tubbs ff.... I dont know what it was like before but it will out shoot me anyday....

·
Registered
896 Posts
Would you recommend TFF on one of Constructor's PacNor 18" 1/12 twist 3-grooove DMR barrels? Powder recommendation?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
1) I used the Tubbs FF on my Cardinal 12.5" barrel, which was only showing some light swipes with the hottest rounds.

I fried the series and cleaned as suggested. Once I had fired a few fouling shots, it started to group MUCH better than when it was brand new. In fact, I managed to shoot a 0.48" 3 shot group with the GS custom bullets.

The barnes TSX, 85 grain groups about 1.2" but it screams out of the barrel at 2975, and I see no more marks, even on the 115 grain OTM combat loads. The lapping must have helped, at least in terms of the accuracy.

2) I would not think that ARPerformance supermatch barrels would require the final finish. If they shoot "out of the box," then leave that barrel ALONE.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
If/when you try this I for one would like a good report on if it worked or not....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts