6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isn't seen as political; it is not.
My shipmate went home today, toting two Rocky Mountain Defense nickel boron bolt carriers in his checked bag. He was headed home to Maine, flying out of Charleston SC.
He deposited his bag with the airline, passed thru security, and went to his gate to await boarding.
Not too much after that he heard his name paged overhead, directing him to return to the ticket counter. Back at the counter he was met by 15 TSA police, who wanted to know why he deposited two unserialized guns in his luggage, and why he didn't declare them.
My buddy tried explaining the parts were not guns by any recognized standard, they can be ordered and purchased online without a dealer involved, that basically the carriers were machined pieces of steel.
The TSA police were trying to document the incident on an undeclared firearm form. They grilled him about caliber, and no serial number, and weren't buying anything he tried telling them. Finally a local policeman rolled up. My friend asked the guy if he was versed in AR15s. Fortunately, he said he was. My friend asked him if bolt carriers were firearms, or needed to be declared as such. The cop laughed at that. My fried asked him to explain that to the TSA guys.
I mention this because while the South is generally considered gun friendly, we can always run into the individual in a position of authority who really doesn't know what they have authority over. Or 15 such people. I also mention it because one of the bolt carriers was mine, and I wouldn't have been impressed to have it confiscated unlawfuly by law enforcement. I also mention it because in a week I get to go home, thru the same airport, with 3 bolt carriers and one 6.8 Superbolt in my checked bag. Maybe I ought to get the port engineer to mail them for me.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
I'm not certain that being hired by TSA requires a working pulse, let alone functioning brain matter. They get beat up all the time for not catching things they should, and often over-react to things they should KNOW are non-issues. I think I'd play it safe and save having to deal with 'em and ship the parts.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
+1...RD is right... TSA employment requirements are pretty low.

local radio host was just talkin about how his wife was strip searched due to her luggage containing a few "C4 shaped items" in her luggage, not sure why they went further with the strip search after the items turned out to be fruit cake bread. to me sounded like a lame excuse to strip search a good lookin gal.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
just because someone works in the south doesn't mean they are from the south. SC gets a TON of northerners moving here and i wouldn't doubt it if several of those TSA workers were from NY or surrounding areas.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Charleston is a different kind of "south"

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Might check the TSA rules--- I think they say "firearms or any part of a firearm must be declared"--- otherwise you could have multiple people each take 1 part onto a plane...Technically speaking an 80% lower is not a firearm, would you try to take one of those through TSA security?

I once had a crescent wrench confiscated from my tool bag from tsa because "it could be used as a weapon"

I'd ship all my guns or parts rather than check them with TSA on a plane if its an option

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Back before TSA in 1989 I returned from Korea with a glass covered plaque that contained two halves of a plastic .50 cal round and two 4 inch ARs. This was in my carry on as it was glass. Upon arriving in SF and going through Customs they merely glanced at it and finished looking through my stuff and sent me on my way. When I arrived at Minneapolis they almost came unglued. This just shows that stupidity is not new and did not start with the TSA.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I hate LAX. Send me to secondary screening every time I enter. My luggage looks like a bunch a monkeys had it.
I intentionally use San Francisco.

·
Registered
906 Posts
To be clear TSOs ("Transportation Security Officers") of the TSA are NOT police. They have no police powers. They are not LEO. They can't arrest you. They have to call in real cops when needed. This is by design, because LEO has to have probable cause to search/detain. I'm not sure if half of the TSA could even read the Constitution.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
To be clear TSOs ("Transportation Security Officers") of the TSA are NOT police. They have no police powers. They are not LEO. They can't arrest you. They have to call in real cops when needed. This is by design, because LEO has to have probable cause to search/detain. I'm not sure if half of the TSA could even read the Constitution.
It would make zero difference if a P.O.S.T. certified officer was working in the TSA vs the people that are working there now involving being searched. It has "nothing" to do with not being able to search with out probable cause if an LEO was doing the job. The courts give TSA their powers and the individual gives "implied consent" when they enter the airport and intend to fly. If the TSA required peace officer standards training and commissioned peace officers, protocol would be the same.

The 9th Circuit Court of the United States ruled on the search of passengers in airports back in 1973, which effectively suspends limited aspects of the Fourth Amendment while undergoing airport security screening.

These 9th Circuit Court ruling laid the path for the creation of Public Law 107-71, the Aviation Transportation and Security Act, which was virtually unopposed by legislators when it was it was signed into law on the 19th of November 2001 by President George W. Bush. This law laid the groundwork for the Transportation Security Administration and the evolution of its current security procedures.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Hope this isn't seen as political; it is not.
My shipmate went home today, toting two Rocky Mountain Defense nickel boron bolt carriers in his checked bag. He was headed home to Maine, flying out of Charleston SC.
He deposited his bag with the airline, passed thru security, and went to his gate to await boarding.
Not too much after that he heard his name paged overhead, directing him to return to the ticket counter. Back at the counter he was met by 15 TSA police, who wanted to know why he deposited two unserialized guns in his luggage, and why he didn't declare them.
My buddy tried explaining the parts were not guns by any recognized standard, they can be ordered and purchased online without a dealer involved, that basically the carriers were machined pieces of steel.
The TSA police were trying to document the incident on an undeclared firearm form. They grilled him about caliber, and no serial number, and weren't buying anything he tried telling them. Finally a local policeman rolled up. My friend asked the guy if he was versed in AR15s. Fortunately, he said he was. My friend asked him if bolt carriers were firearms, or needed to be declared as such. The cop laughed at that. My fried asked him to explain that to the TSA guys.
I mention this because while the South is generally considered gun friendly, we can always run into the individual in a position of authority who really doesn't know what they have authority over. Or 15 such people. I also mention it because one of the bolt carriers was mine, and I wouldn't have been impressed to have it confiscated unlawfuly by law enforcement. I also mention it because in a week I get to go home, thru the same airport, with 3 bolt carriers and one 6.8 Superbolt in my checked bag. Maybe I ought to get the port engineer to mail them for me.
While TSA does have an office of law enforcement he wasn't met by police he was met by TSA screeners who are nothing more than administrative, not police.

With that said the others hit the nail. Because TSOs are administrative you are submitting to an administrative search when entering the screening line. No search no fly, it's right there on they ticket you bought. The police are there if it becomes a criminal thing which does happen (lotta mules running though the airports, etc).

The comment about guns and gun parts above is 100% correct also but I believe only applies to carry ons and not checked baggage as you can't access checked baggage once the plane. I always refer to the airline policy myself as these are usually more restrictive than TSAs policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the easy way out

I hijacked the port engineer's pick up, hit more pot holes than I thought was legal, and USPS flat rated them to myself.
I did review the TSA requirements, and can see enough grey area to get me a good interview with whomsoever it is screening checked bags. Their regs say parts can be carried in checked bags. Mags & clips have to be cased, but bolts, et cetera, are not specifically required to be locked/secured/declared. Don't need the hassle when I'm headed home.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I hijacked the port engineer's pick up, hit more pot holes than I thought was legal, and USPS flat rated them to myself.
I did review the TSA requirements, and can see enough grey area to get me a good interview with whomsoever it is screening checked bags. Their regs say parts can be carried in checked bags. Mags & clips have to be cased, but bolts, et cetera, are not specifically required to be locked/secured/declared. Don't need the hassle when I'm headed home.
Check the airline policy too.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
here is a short description of what can be taken on carry on luggage :

According to the latest rules, legal firearms, ammunition, and firearms parts may be transported on all North American commercial airlines as checked baggage. No firearms parts may be taken aboard any flight in carry-on luggage. This includes magazines, empty brass, and bullets, but it may also include, at the discretion of individual TSA agents, scopes, a loose rear tang sight, a single trigger shoe, even the mushroomed bullet you found while skinning your elk. To be safe and avoid losing your small gun parts, pack it all carefully in your checked luggage.

in theory, any of those items can be taken on in checked luggage, BUT both the TSA and the actual airline have rules/standards on what must be declared and locked etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's all good now. They are in the hands of the postal service, headed to NH.
I read the TSA regs, as I mentioned earlier. While I did not see the TSA agent discretion part, I do have enough real world experience to know it's in the fine print. On the back of the second page. In Gregg shorthand. In disappearing ink.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
here is a short description of what can be taken on carry on luggage :

According to the latest rules, legal firearms, ammunition, and firearms parts may be transported on all North American commercial airlines as checked baggage. No firearms parts may be taken aboard any flight in carry-on luggage. This includes magazines, empty brass, and bullets, but it may also include, at the discretion of individual TSA agents, scopes, a loose rear tang sight, a single trigger shoe, even the mushroomed bullet you found while skinning your elk. To be safe and avoid losing your small gun parts, pack it all carefully in your checked luggage.

in theory, any of those items can be taken on in checked luggage, BUT both the TSA and the actual airline have rules/standards on what must be declared and locked etc.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I always print out the pertinent regs. from the airlines, TSA, customs and anyone else involved and I highlight the lines that apply, its amazing how many petty bureaucrats that will ruin your day if they can. I have been flat told that I had things that I could NOT have and when I handed them the documents and pointed to the ACTUAL regs they could only grit their teeth and wave me through. I did have a number of DUMMY shotgun shells removed and confiscated, you could tell they were dummies, by the facts that they were clear plastic, had no primer or pocket for one and they had DUMMY printed in large letters, TSA still confiscated them from my checked bag. Maybe they thought it belonged to them, after all it had THEIR name on it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reference???

Can anyone show me a reference which actually says at the discretion of the individual TSA agent, or words to that effect? Like I said, I understand things do often go that way, however if there is no actual federal authorization for that, having a copy in hand of their real rules would probably have been the thing to prepare myself for my upcoming trip thru Never Never Land.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Can anyone show me a reference which actually says at the discretion of the individual TSA agent, or words to that effect? Like I said, I understand things do often go that way, however if there is no actual federal authorization for that, having a copy in hand of their real rules would probably have been the thing to prepare myself for my upcoming trip thru Never Never Land.
There isn't one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts