6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a Marlin 336cs in .30-30 as a truck/whatever gun. Was wondering if any of you had a set-up like this and if so feel free to post pics.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ideal to me would be a Mini 14 in 6.8 / M1 carbine is actually a great beater and HD truck gun. They are cheap you can beat the shit out of them and they will still shoot min of man. I like lever actions but am not big on them as a trunk gun for various reasons.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The answer really depends on your definition of a "Truck Gun". To many there are different answers and variations on the same answer.

A 30-30 has good power for short to moderate ranges say 150 yards or so depending on sights or optics. The ammo is easy to find and relatively affordable for practice. The carbines are handy and easy to carry if weight is an issue.

The downsides to a 30-30 would be it is much slower to reload compared to an AR if needed. You have limited versatility for accessories compared to what's available for the AR. The lever is slower than a semi-automatic for follow up shots, and some lever actions are not inherently as accurate as an AR.

What are you carrying the truck gun for? Farmers and ranchers may need different truck guns than someone living or working in a high crime area.

When are you exposed in your vehicle? Night or day? Will you need night sights or a weapon mounted light?

Are optics appropriate or will good quality iron sights work?

Are you limited by political/legal requirements?

If the lever 30-30 meets your requirements, I would consider adding a very good set of sights like the XS ghost rings. My brother has a set on his Marlin Guide Gun and they really are an improvement over the factory irons.

http://xssights.com/store/rifle.html

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
a FN SCAR light in 6.8 would be the ideal truck gun if they make the civillian model with the side folding collapsible stock

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I met a FN rep at a local gun shop. The SCARs are coming but the 6.8 may not appear right away. I hope they spec the barrel right when they release the 6.8 setup. Oh, I got a free FN keychain!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of my favorite hog guns is a Marlin lever. I happen to love the big bore lever actions, so I have a model 1895G 45-70 guide gun. It's damned accurate for a lever. In fact I have had several folks at the range comment when I shoot pretty close to the same size groups they get with their fancy bolt guns :lol: It can shoot a tight clover leaf at 100yrds. I have an XS scout mount on it, and can mount my Aimpoint or I also have a Leupold Scout Scope on QD mounts for optics. In the brush, I just use a set of ghost ring sights. I don't have any pics of it on line at the moment, but if you're interested, I can post one or two.

I'll grant that it's no semi-auto when it comes to follow ups, but with practice and a smooth, well tuned action, you can get her movin pretty quick. I know quite a few people that use 30-30 levers as ranch guns. The Marlins are reasonable in price, well made, and its a stand up company. If a lever is what you're looking for, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Marlin at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll chime in here, for me it has to be weapon that if stolen won't make me want to hang myself from a bed sheet. :lol: My Mossberg 500 cheap pos will get the job done 00 buckshot in the tube and Breneke slugs in the side receiver holder. I bought the thing from service merchandise before they went under $178.00 with a 28" full choke barrel, a 18 1/4" barrel with heat shield (the one it wears ), pistol grip, and full stock (I keep the full stock on it).

·
Registered
410 Posts
RawRadioFL said:
One of my favorite hog guns is a Marlin lever. I happen to love the big bore lever actions, so I have a model 1895G 45-70 guide gun. It's damned accurate for a lever. In fact I have had several folks at the range comment when I shoot pretty close to the same size groups they get with their fancy bolt guns :lol: It can shoot a tight clover leaf at 100yrds. I have an XS scout mount on it, and can mount my Aimpoint or I also have a Leupold Scout Scope on QD mounts for optics. In the brush, I just use a set of ghost ring sights. I don't have any pics of it on line at the moment, but if you're interested, I can post one or two.

I'll grant that it's no semi-auto when it comes to follow ups, but with practice and a smooth, well tuned action, you can get her movin pretty quick. I know quite a few people that use 30-30 levers as ranch guns. The Marlins are reasonable in price, well made, and its a stand up company. If a lever is what you're looking for, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Marlin at all.
I've got the same Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. My reloads are 300 grain JHP's at 1900 fps. That is a potent combo! I'm with you on the Marlins, they are cheaper than the Winchesters and stronger and simpler. The Marlin also looks like an Old West gun and won't attact the same attention as an AR, if that is a concern.

Now, as to the SCAR.....when are they coming out? I NEED one!! :shock:

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The FN rep we talked to at the gun shop said they wanted to release the SCAR-L (5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, etc) by now but have put off the civilian intro for a few more months. He expected to see some before the end of the year, late fall sometime. The bigger SCAR-H (7.62x51) will show up sometime in 2009.

It's a shame Winchester levers are out of production, hopefully temporarily. I did visit the Marlin display at the NRA show a year ago and they have some cool lever guns ranging from nostalgic cowboy guns to modern Lever Revolution 308's using the new Hornady ammo. The big bore guide guns are beasts. A Marlin Guide Gun in a hotrod 45/70 or the 450 Marlin could be taken to Africa !!

I wish I could have snagged a Mossberg 500 with two barrels and stocks for $178.00 !! A pump 12 gauge makes a great trunk gun. Look how many ride around in police cars even today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
It's a shame Winchester levers are out of production, hopefully temporarily.
Art,

You'll have to talk with the same rep from FN as they now 'own' Winchester. Your right about the old Winchester lever action. It is a great gun and the only real difference between the big 'W' and the big 'M' (Marlin) is side ejection and the Marlin is not quite as strong an action type as the twin locking lugs of the model '92 for pistol calibers and the '86 for 45/70s and 450s. However, both are strong enough to shoot Garrett, CorBon, Buffalo Bore 'heavy' factory loads.

BTW, I have a Browning version 1886 saddle ring carbine and an older 1895 Marlin (both these without the silly cross bolt 'safety') both in 45/70. I really like this round. I also have an older Rossi Puma stainless 45 Long Colt (again without that silly on top safety) to go along with my few handguns in the 45 LC caliber. Before anyone gets on me about my thinking the 'safeties' of these new rifles, they are made that way due to the companies wanting to head off civil suits by lawyers before they appear. For me, the only 'safety' that really works is the one between my ears. Got to have the mind plugged in before using any weapon!!! :wink:

As far as a 'Truck' gun, I have an older Winchester '94 in 30-30 but it is not a 'Pre-64' so if it did get stolen, it could be replaced for less than $250...

One other thing I have to say about the 30/30 and the other lever calibers...Just remember the 'myths' surrounding the 6.8 SPC dropping to the ground after 300 yds...The lever calibers just have to be held off more and will shoot pretty far and have plenty enough umph. Remember the 'Buffalo' hunters shooting the Sharpes to very long ranges and that 'hard' cast bullet can penetrate extremely well even at distance and is already a very large caliber for making very big holes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !!!

Kelly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I love my AR's, and the SCAR sounds great, I want one that I wont wanna die over if it gets stolen and that also won't break the bank. Bout $250 is my cap on it. I do like the XS ghost ring sights. I am looking for something light and handy, accurate and capable out to 100-150 yards. Fun and not that expensive to shoot with ammo that I can get just about anywhere. .30-30 fits the bill quite nicely for all of the above in a nice little package.

·
Registered
54 Posts
jcast,
i know this is a little off caliber but i have a marlin .357 mag lever action. i shot it the other day with harrison. it was a blast. 9 in the tube and 1 in the pipe. 10 rounds of .357 should get just about anything done short of shooting distance. its a fun little gun and i think would make a great truck gun. i need to chrono it one of these days to see the velocities im getting.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Oh.. I almost forgot. A college buddy had a Winchester 94 Trapper carbine with the John Wayne hoop lever. This carbine was a 44mag. It was a favorite at the range or hunting lease when we'd go shooting back in the college days. Like that 357 mentioned above, this handy carbine would work out nicely as well.

This is a great forum. We're having a good discussion about lever guns on an AR oriented site and not a Troll in sight.

Good job guys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
jcast141 said:
While I love my AR's, and the SCAR sounds great, I want one that I wont wanna die over if it gets stolen and that also won't break the bank. Bout $250 is my cap on it. I do like the XS ghost ring sights. I am looking for something light and handy, accurate and capable out to 100-150 yards. Fun and not that expensive to shoot with ammo that I can get just about anywhere. .30-30 fits the bill quite nicely for all of the above in a nice little package.
jcast141,

If you might be interested in mine (remember Winchester not Marlin), maybe we could meet over at the fairgrounds in Orlando the next gun show. I think it is around the weekend of Aug. 23-24. I could bring it over for a look see if you like.

Take care,

Kelly

·
Registered
60 Posts
I still say a pump 12 gauge. Just so you all know I checked with state and local authorities here in Florida and with or without a CCW no long guns may be carried in the vehicle loaded. :cry: The reason for this law according to my LE buddy unofficially is they don't want to be out gunned during a vehicle stopping. Anyway you may want to check your local and state laws in this matter as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gdonley308 said:
I still say a pump 12 gauge. Just so you all know I checked with state and local authorities here in Florida and with or without a CCW no long guns may be carried in the vehicle loaded. :cry: The reason for this law according to my LE buddy unofficially is they don't want to be out gunned during a vehicle stopping. Anyway you may want to check your local and state laws in this matter as well.
Kinda defeats the purpose of carrying a gun in the first place...Just turns it into a metal and wood club :?

Kelly

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
So in FL you need a CCW. Yep, good point. Check laws before spending your money.

How about a 6.8 AR Pistol in your vehicle with a CCW?

·
Registered
60 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
So in FL you need a CCW. Yep, good point. Check laws before spending your money.

How about a 6.8 AR Pistol in your vehicle with a CCW?

Actually no you don't need any kind of permit to carry a pistol in your car as long as;

1. The weapon is not concealed. This is a matter for interpretation by the responding officer.
2. A 3 step operation to get the weapon into action. A closed end snapped holster accomplishes this so long as you can't fire the weapon from the holster. In other words unsnap, draw, fire= legal

I guess an AR pistol is classified as a pistol so you should be good to go with that. :D

The long gun may be carried in the vehicle as long as the ammunition is not in close proximity. This again is a matter of interpretation by the responding officer. Just check your state and local laws before toting that AR around behind the seat with a loaded 25rd mag. Another point of interest is that the "State Division of Licensing", who issues our carry permit here in Florida, deferred me to my local LE agency. Apparently it is up to the local counties and cities as to weather you can carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle, all of the cities around me,(there are 5), and Brevard County Sherrifs Office said no f#*king way. Just thought I'd share, didn't mean to bum anyone out. :(

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
ask the leo telling you no way what the statue is that does not allow the carrying of loaded long gun inside a vehicle.
here is the florida statue allowing it.
5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

·
Registered
60 Posts
coldair said:
ask the leo telling you no way what the statue is that does not allow the carrying of loaded long gun inside a vehicle.
here is the florida statue allowing it.
5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
This is what I'm saying the State deferred me to local law enforcement for clarifacationon of the statue. They did not site any statue and I decide not to challenge them as they know all about me and see me at the range with my differant long guns. they also know I always have a loaded 1911 with me anytime I leave the house along with my CCW because they like to pull me over in my 700hp truck. What the State told me was that they did not think my CCW gave me the right to have a loaded long gun concealed in my vehicle but that it was a matter to take up with my local agency. I see you live in Naples across the State from me, can you ask your local LE about this and see what they say? The way I read that section of the statue above leaves room again for interpretation by the officer. The part " securely encased or is not readily accessible for immediate use."
:? :? :?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts