6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've done well with Trigger Tech triggers. They've increased in price a tad since I got'm several years back but they work great, for me. Also have them on my bolt guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I just took my rifle to the range and was disappointed in the trigger that Aero Precision put in. So, I'd like to get recommendations on a good trigger that will be effective for hunting and SHTF.

Appreciate any feedback.
There is a product called Plate+ made by Springco. It is moly disulfide. I have used this for years as a first improvement on most of my triggers, rifle and pistol.

For example I used it on a Browning Hi Power. If you look at that trigger mechanism its really a mess. The Plate+ made the entire trigger smooth as glass. It did not eliminate the take up, but it made the trigger so smooth that the creep was totally manageable and the let off consistently predictable.

I also used it on the face of some metal magazines in the Browning where part of the safety mechanism rides on the face of the magazine. Most Hi Power owners remove the "magazine disconnect" component of their safety. On the magazines you could see where the Plate+ made the face of the mag mirror smooth. What previously was gritty and irregular became glass smooth. I used it on the "button" or face of the mag disconnect too.

On a revolver the effect is really amazing.

The product essentially fills in micro variance in any surface. You cannot polish to this level of smooth.

Any trigger can be made better with this product including the most expensive trigger you can buy. Its worth giving it a try on your less expensive trigger first. You may decide an upgrade is not worth the money, depending on your intended use of the rifle. I have always found a "too touchy" trigger to be a hinder in field use. If you have a target only rifle that is not a problem.

I have used it in barrels but there are some precautions about not getting it in the chamber.

One thing to pay attention to is the sear/disconnect interface. It is not advisable to use the product there as you can make it too slick to be safe. Also in the chamber itself because you can make the chamber so slick that the brass cannot "grab" the chamber and this will possibly result in excessive bolt face pressure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
An inexpensive alternative for a single-stage trigger is to get the Palmetto Enhanced Polished Fire Control Group (I've seen them on sale for as low a $30) and then replace all the springs with a JP Enterprises Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. I've done about four of these combos and they have all come in at a very crisp and clean 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 lb pull. If you're not worried about consistent primer ignition the Reduced Power Spring Kit will probably lower that a little bit more.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Im going to link a comparison article below which is the only one I have seen with actual data, including graphs of the travel and poundage etc. Towards the bottom after all drop in triggers are tested they touch on a Geisseles single stage trigger ($230) which is out performed by an $88 rise armament drop in. I wouldn't go as far as to call Geissele cheap crap but exorbitantly priced is spot on for what you get. For the money a PSA or Larue or RR NM is best bang for the buck unless you tune a milspec for $10-20. When it comes to drop in I prefer velocity mainly because I like the slight curve they have. I don't mind spending $25 more for that consistent feel. Elftman had the best trigger but it was the most expensive as well and the gains are not really worth it unless you shoot competitions for a living.

Yes, I agree. Cheap crap was an exaggeration but they are not the be all and end all of triggers as some are programmed to believe. Old Bill is just a genius at marketing. Kind of like Hornady selling the crap out of the 6.5CM when it will not do anything any better than the 260 Rem that has been around for decades. It is all marketing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think this thread shows that almost any trigger is better than a basic stock trigger although I have run across some that were quite good. Like a lot of posters here have stated, you don't have to spend a lot to make a drastic improvement. Just make sure you inform anyone that wants to try out your gun that it is not a stock trigger. I had a buddy get mad at me because I didn't remember to inform him the trigger was a tad lighter than a stock AR trigger. The gun went off before he was ready. I just told him "what are you doing with your finger on the trigger if you aren't ready to shoot?" All joking aside some of these triggers do get very light and you need to take that into consideration as to how the firearm is going to be used when purchasing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I want to thank everyone who has posted to this point. Especially @hueyville @Woodstock , @earlytom and @sfs13 . You all have given me some great information to thinkin about over the next few weeks as I heal from my deviated septum surgery.

I've already talked to my buddy and we're going back to the range with one of his long gun that has a LaRue 2-stage in it so I can try it. I've also got a Marlin .30-30 that has a sweet single stage trigger in it and use it as a comparison. This way I can truly get an idea of what I like and am comfortable with. And that's probably the biggest first step I can take.

When I've figured out what I like, then I can set about making the decision on which brand to go with. Whatever way I go, I will definitely let you all know for the Cheers and the Jeers.. LOL..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just installed my Larue 2 stage trigger in Sig 716.
It’s 10 times better than the sig trigger but I still prefer a single stage trigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put the Geisselle HSNM in all of my precision gas guns but they aren’t cheap and should come down in price but i still find them worth the money. I haven’t found a 2 stage I like more yet. The Larue is great on a budget and you won’t be disappointed. I also have a few timney and TT I like.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just buy reduced power springs
And what does owner do when world goes to crap and all they have are a metric ton of extremely hard military g surfaces primers their reduced power springs won't ignite? Why my only spring swap option is the JP 3.5 Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. It lowers pull without reducing energy of hammer as it sends the firing pin into the primer. I have tuned hundreds of triggers and have a bit of a clue. Honestly all of the triggers mating surfaces need to be squared and fit to each other. Honestly that's all your getting in many premium triggers, a better fit of pats and better quality springs.

Have had factory triggers with mating surfaces so far out of square cannot get them properly squared without cutting through the case hardening as triggers are not hardened much deeper than the actual surface.I can re-caseharden triggers not cut beyond specs of safe operation. Have seen many triggers people honed themselves or had a fried who is an expert do it, cut through the hardening and the internal metal is so soft trigger breaks in getting slicker and slicker till a few hundred rounds later it begins to double then finally run off full auto refusing to stop when release it.

I tune not only factory triggers to get them within acceptable battle pull but not immune to taking a $2000 upper line trigger and improving its fit. I have taken milspec hammers and cut the spur off to lighten the hammer then pick my inertia back up with proper spring selection. I have AR triggers in my AR 10 6mm builds with reliable pulls that wont slam fire or wear till become dangerous as light at 1.2 pounds. To get a trigger in the 3.5 range is not horribly hard with a quality milspec design But the right trigger, springs and tools 1.2 to 1.5 pound safe AR triggers are not impossible. Have to be willing to start tuning a $200 plus trigger and void its warranty.

Reactions: nhwynter

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I’ve been using the PSA two stage with great results. With lighter springs they even work great on Russian steel cased ammo .

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really like my geissele but it’s not worth $240.
I bought one used for a decent price and the other used on sale. I find the blitz trigger to be at minimum- equal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hiperfire EDT2 (I think it's called designated marksman now). LOVE mine.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Besides my main AR triggers, the hunting one and main varminter, I have polished and nickled milspec ones I got from PSA a while ago for space holders. So far they are pretty dang good for general use I never up graded them. Think I'll get boron one next. But for hunting I prefer a two stage trigger myself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have and have tried most of the ones out on the market over the years. Currently I have AR Gold, Timney Calvin Elite, POF, Rise Armament, and Larue. I like all of them for different purposes. I honestly think that the LaRue may be one of the best values out there. It is a pretty dang good trigger and a good price. I am in no way affiliated with them but I have bought several of their triggers for my guns and others.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a Velocity single stage trigger. I talked to the owner and asked him best trigger weight
for target shooting and hunting. He recommended the 4 lb. Great trigger.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts