6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just took my rifle to the range and was disappointed in the trigger that Aero Precision put in. So, I'd like to get recommendations on a good trigger that will be effective for hunting and SHTF.

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
100 Posts
LaRue MBT-2S. If you haven't tried a 2 stage trigger these are awesome and affordable. Almost all my rifles have after market triggers and the LaRue is my favorite. But good luck finding them in stock.

·
Registered
493 Posts
There are a lot of good choices and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations. You can spend a lot of money upgrading triggers.
My best bang of the buck came from LaRue. I ordered one "just to see". At the time I had to wait a month or so for production to catch up. I got the trigger, slipped it into my Spike's lower. I knew then I wanted another even before I shot it. So I logged on and pushed the button for a second trigger. Thinking that I was a month/s from getting it. The second one arrived within the week. I guess production got caught up. Anyway, I did get to the range in short order and I really liked the trigger. No buyer's remorse for me. So there you go for one recommendation.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You didn't state whether you were wanting a single or double stage . Velocity single stage drop in are great and not too expensive . I have a Ruger enhanced two stage a La Rue two stage and a Stoner enhanced from midway and I can't tell the difference in them and neither can any of several people I've blind tested with them . I like two stage when shooting with gun un supported so my defense gun is two stage but prefer single when hunting so my 6.8s have velocity 3.5 lb triggers .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't state whether you were wanting a single or double stage . Velocity single stage drop in are great and not too expensive . I have a Ruger enhanced two stage a La Rue two stage and a Stoner enhanced from midway and I can't tell the difference in them and neither can any of several people I've blind tested with them . I like two stage when shooting with gun un supported so my defense gun is two stage but prefer single when hunting so my 6.8s have velocity 3.5 lb triggers .

Honestly, I'm not sure what I "want" in regards to single stage vs. two stage. What I know I need is a better trigger that isn't sloppy and seems to break at different points (if that makes any sense). I could never tell exactly when it was going to break yesterday. The guy I was with yesterday noted how badly it seemed as well when he was on it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure what I "want" in regards to single stage vs. two stage. What I know I need is a better trigger that isn't sloppy and seems to break at different points (if that makes any sense). I could never tell exactly when it was going to break yesterday. The guy I was with yesterday noted how badly it seemed as well when he was on it.
A two stage is what you described having . Note that a quality two stage will have a short take up under tension and then hit a wall which depending on trigger will be anywhere from 3 to 5 lbs . A single stage is like breaking a thin piece of glass . There should be no slack or take up just a crisp break . I like the 3 - 3.5 lb . range velocity has . Midway often has single stage triggers on sale as do others. They come as a simple drop in unit so simple even a cave man can do it .

·
Registered
166 Posts
I typically opt for a single stage trigger. As others have said it depends on what you are looking for. I have 2 SD3Ga and one Blitz trigger, I like them both. I just ordered a Larue for the 308 because of all the good things I’ve read.
Seems all the drop ins are very similar, again just get what you want in a trigger price doesn’t mean better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had never used a two stage trigger until I ordered the LaRue. I wanted to check it out due to all the rave reviews. Now I love them!
I like knowing once I take up the slack it is ready to go. I still have some single stage triggers but they might get changed out over time. My goto are all 2 stage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jp enterprise springs while you have your trigger out carefully polish it make sure you don't round anything off just use jewelers paste. Beast $10 you will ever spend single stage of course.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jp enterprise springs while you have your trigger out carefully polish it make sure you don't round anything off just use jewelers paste. Beast $10 you will ever spend single stage of course.
Are you saying that if I add a LaRue 2-stage, I should replace their springs with ones from JP Enterprises?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Are you saying that if I add a LaRue 2-stage, I should replace their springs with ones from JP Enterprises?
No, he's describing the procedure for making a standard AR trigger better. If you get the Larue, don't do anything to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I never really was as fan of a 2 stage trigger.

I ended up buying 2 LaRue 2 stage triggers and installed them in my SBR’s. I’ve come to be pretty fond of them and actually prefer them to hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
No milspec parts but the Hiperfire Hipertouch Elite is the best trigger for light touch and reliable ignition of hard military primers. Notice two hammer springs and comes with different weights and will whack even the hardest primers into igniting without compromising low trigger pull weight.

Tool Auto part Machine Event Camera accessory

I have at least two or three of each trigger in the Hipertouch series, a few from the X2S series and Enhanced Duty series but would skip the X2S as there are better milspec style $100 trigger options out there you can easily get parts for if in a bind. I have over ten of the Hipertouch Elite triggers as best drop in $200 trigger I can find that I trust in a high duty cycle combat scenario unless its a trigger I have tuned myself and not everyone has over $1,000 in trigger tuning tools plus ability to case harden when cut one past the factory hardening which is sometimes necessary.

I can tune a Rock river Arms $99 National Match trigger using my JP honing jig, select JP springs (keep a half dozen or more of every spring they offer) down to under two pounds that will not double. When Colt Competition bankrupted CDNN had their Colt Target Triggers on clearance for $49 which with one JP spring and two of the Colt springs take them to 3.0. 3.25, 3.5 or any weight in quarter pound increments up to 4.5 pounds. if your anywhere near Lake Lanier in N.E. Georgia I could take your stock trigger to near or better than custom drop in trigger for $3 to $ 10 in parts.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
I firmly believe that the JP Fire Control system is the best single stage trigger on the market. CMC, Velocity and a few others make excellent drop in triggers. In my own opinion, all two stage triggers are crap and all are grossly overpriced. Two stage triggers were introduced initially because they were cheaper to make and it was easier to teach someone how to shoot who had no previous shooting skills (read: military recruits). Now you get people like Bill Geissele selling people cheap crap at exorbitant prices and he is so good at it he makes them believe they are getting a bargain while robbing them blind. Of two stage triggers I have tried, and that has been quite a few, the PSA NiB two stage for about $70 is the best of the bunch and priced much closer to where a two stage trigger should be priced. Larue MBT is a close second place. Anything more than that and you are getting robbed. I know many of you will disagree and that is ok. At least I have said my piece.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If want really cheap but good trigger order a JP 3.5 Enhanced Reliability Spring kit. Before removing trigger carefully put some old fashioned Crest toothpaste on Sear/hammer engagement surfaces then a bit on the disconnector. Without letting hammer slam into lower receiver using thumb to catch it cycle the trigger about two to four dozen times then remove trigger. You have just "lapped" the new rough surfaces without cutting through case hardening or changing any angles.

Disassemble trigger completely and clean very well along with inside of lower so no residue from the toothpaste is left as it will cause premature wear. Once trigger, hammer, disconnect and pins are cleaned well. I use aerosol Gunblaster to blow out the trigger housing to get all residue out of it then reassemble using the JP 3.5 Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. Have seen eight pound factory triggers drop to 4.5 pound crisp triggers using a $9.99 spring kit and smoothing the parts.

If you have real machinists stuff Clover Lapping Compound is better choice than toothpaste but buying a can just to lap a trigger is loopy. If have access to a JP Custom Stoning Jig I can commonly take milspec triggers to just under 4.0 pounds, often in the 3.5 to 3.75 pound range without cutting through th4e case hardening which will ruin a trigger.

Have direction here for installing, tuning milspec and custom triggers. I can take a $79 upgrade trigger to a slick and crisp 3.5 pounds if feel shooter is safe to run a trigger that will bump fire if use incorrectly. Website is rough but was not designed to be slick as do not make a dime off it. Go to www.CoolAR15.com Trigger Page for more information. have a section on website just on 6.8 spc II builds but honestly have not done an update in over a year as have other fish to fry.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts