6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weekend before last (July 9) my father, uncle and myself made the early morning migration, 3.25 hours to Reno, departing at the butt-crack of dawn, 0400 hours. Palomino Valley Gun Club was putting on their "Walking Varmint steel match." Targets were either life size or smaller silhouettes of squirrel, crow, rabbit, woodchuck (approx 2/3 lifesize) and coyote (approx 1/2 size, more like fox). Yardage were 110, 175, 220.

The fun/hard part, this match is designed to replicate field walking and jumping a varmint, so no high-power shooting coats, gloves, slings must be attached at both ends of rifle and quick to get into, scoped rifles, bolt or semiautomatic. 40 shots for record.

Course of fire: 5 shots in 3.5 minutes, 1 minute break, 5 shots 3.5 minutes. Relay 1 is done with string.

Now, 5 shots in 3.5 minutes sounds fine and all, thats 30 seconds per shot. But, this is done in standing/offhand, targets are in random order and yardage as called by your score keeper from your score card! No dialing turrets, no sighters, no getting dialed and just running a bank of targets. Shoot squirrel at 110, next shot might be rabbit at 175, then back to crow at 110, coyote at 220, then Chuck at 175. Every string was different!

We shot two strings of 10 shots in standing. High score standing was 6/20! Doesn't sound impressive, but considering it was a fish tailing wind from 5 to 7 o'clock steady at 18knots gusting to 25+, just standing still enough to even stay on target was a supreme challenge!

After two rounds of relays standing, next up was sitting. Same procedure and targets, accordingly, scores improved.

High score for the match was 21/40. I took 3rd with a 17/40. High standing was 6/20 (I shot 5) and high sitting was 16 (I shot 12).

Rifles ranged from 22-250 thumb hole stocked Mauser, Ruger target model .223 (my uncle), Savage 340 in .22 Hornet (my dad), M4 style carbine, and I shot my .20 Practical upper on a weighted service rifle lower.

The .20 Practical did surprisingly well in the heavy winds, especially with a new load I was testing. Grouping on my load proved to be just under MOA, which was about what I expected, not great but satisfactory for the match.

Next up from the club is their long range varmint match. Uses the same exact targets, but from 220 yards to 850 yards, shot prone with the same random order. I plan to take my 6.8 for that one next as I have the most accurate dope for it.

Would love to meet up with some members there or possibly drive up together. Should be fun!

If you want more info, let me know.

-Alexander

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Targets that size, and from standing, I would be lucky to hit one. Sounds fun though.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the low score standing was a 3. It was a difficult match! The high winds made staying on target extremely difficult, having a good trigger really made the difference for standing. Take up the first stage while wobbling in the general direction of your target, break the second stage as your sight pass the target, lol! Worst part was when you finally get a decent hold and the wind let off, you were leaning into it and now are trying to keep from falling over!

Had a great time though!

-Alexander

·
Registered
92 Posts
They have any matches like that when there is snow on the slopes? Always thought it would be fun to combine a shooting and snowboarding trip to Lake Tahoe. Sure winter time not the best shooting weather. I have been wanting to try and combine a coyote hunting trip with a snowboarding trip for several years.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Sounds like great fun, I am used to shooting in 15 to 25 MPH winds and it does make it tough.

Worst part was when you finally get a decent hold and the wind let off, you were leaning into it and now are trying to keep from falling over!
That made me laugh although I usually shoot from a bench, and a 25 MPH wind can whip the barrel/handguard around a lot.

Reno has so much cool stuff going on, sometimes much more than Lost Wages. I am off 95 North, just several hundred miles to US 80 and Reno.

What kind of sling you using? I would have to have it so tight I could barely breath for standing.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Gotta love the winds in the Reno Basin! I shot many tournaments out at the now defunct Sage Hill Trap Club and endured many a windy day shooting clays that would drop like rocks out of the trap house. I won my share of silver belt buckles and cash out there

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like great fun, I am used to shooting in 15 to 25 MPH winds and it does make it tough.

That made me laugh although I usually shoot from a bench, and a 25 MPH wind can whip the barrel/handguard around a lot.

Reno has so much cool stuff going on, sometimes much more than Lost Wages. I am off 95 North, just several hundred miles to US 80 and Reno.

What kind of sling you using? I would have to have it so tight I could barely breath for standing.
I don't use a sling in standing, I use a SR hold, put the delta ring in the web of my thumb, palm facing me. Elbow planted against my ribs and use no muscle support, only bone support. For sitting I use a military Web Sling. Although, the intent of this match is to replicate varmint hunting, so sling supported had to be done quick style, no cuff or loop allowed.

Was great fun! Getting ready for the long range prone varmint match this coming Saturday, taking my 6.8 to that one, but bringing a 6mmRem bolt gun as back up though. Long way to go to bring only one gun...

-Alexander

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That sounds like a great fun match. You picked the tool for the job with that 20 Practical. Basically POA=POI with that one loaded up. Flat as a pancake and fast so the wind has less time to work.

Congratulations on your placing.

Greeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts