6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have on occasion opportunities to make money using camera and computer.. The time spent it's good money and not hard work.
Sometimes it is a travel up north which is a delight. Today's jaunt took me into street names using numbers like 9th st NE and such. Early city streets that have been carved up with progress called Freeways and early developments called projects from the 60's. Today they house our latest Immigrant,s from Somalia and such.
I leave the TCP at home and pocket the 642. Just because. I drive all over trying to connect the dots and find the address.

I get out for my pictures and survey the surroundings. I'm not alone and have a rather expensive camera in my hands. I take my pictures acting like I own the place showing zero fear and am being watched from several directions. I have to cross streets, busy traffic both fron cars and pedestrians.

I am almost done and need a pic from across the street. I wait to raise my camera to make certain there are no humans in the frame.. I can zoom them out if it's close to them walking into frame..

Across the street some guy yells at me. I tell him he is not in the picture and to please keep moving I need another one. He says I saw you take my picture and turns to cross the street kiddie corner straight towards me.

I stand my ground as he gets closer I explain I need the numbers on the building and that's what is in the picture. He is standing to my right and I say here take a look. At this point both my hands are busy on the camera. This guy seemed agitated. But quietly looked at the screen and says I saw you take my picture i say LOOK are you in there? I flip more pictures and tell him I cant have people in them. I look at him and have my strong hand free at my side.
He's confused but satisfied and not looking for trouble. I can see it in his face. I say "we cool??' He puts his hand out and slaps my hand and says "I appreciate you showing me". He walks off.
It took longer to write this then the indecent time from his yelling at me. Little time to think. Demeanor and openness kept it cool but anything could have happened which, all these thoughts scrambled around my head. This guy had no accent but looked the part and he could have easily had ulterior motives. I would have been in my rights to not have him get within reach of me but where could that have gone?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
People don't understand that when out in the public, they are fair game for pictures

The camera can be a "policing force" or an instigator depending on the person and their actions

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digging thru all the photo's today I find he was right. I have a real good photo of him. Wish he had not drawn so muct attention to himself. I would have just deleted it. Now I am wondering if he is wanted for anything and what to do.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
Probably just wanted to make a fuss. As THM said, if they are in public or even visible from a public area they have no right to privacy. If someone were say laying out in their yard buck naked and you could easily see them from the street there is nothing illegal about photographing them, even though they are on private property. Most people don't realize that and may try to tell you it isn't allowed but the courts say otherwise.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Probably just wanted to make a fuss. As THM said, if they are in public or even visible from a public area they have no right to privacy. If someone were say laying out in their yard buck naked and you could easily see them from the street there is nothing illegal about photographing them, even though they are on private property. Most people don't realize that and may try to tell you it isn't allowed but the courts say otherwise.
Are you speaking from personal experience?

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
Are you speaking from personal experience?
In a manner of speaking yes. I have been into photography for over 45 years so I have kept abreast of the laws pertaining to it. If you're asking if I like to lay out buck naked, no comment.:a24:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a manner of speaking yes. I have been into photography for over 45 years so I have kept abreast of the laws pertaining to it. If you're asking if I like to lay out buck naked, no comment.:a24:
Reminds me of working on Telephone lines in Phoenix alleys. We would take turns slowly driving the ladder truck extended up above the Garages and walls. Spending lunch hour watching the pool scene. Pools in almost every yard. It was a art looking like we were working. We called it going out on patrol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.