6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, 72 years ago, the wounded and dead started to arrive by 1pm.
Nurses and doctors were ready but they could never expect the amount of damage the allied forces were going to receive on D-Day.

It is nice to see many take the time to remember the day mainland Europe saw the light of freedom again.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscon...ctment-in-normandy-b99738318z1-381909591.html

D-Day veteran from Wisconsin honored during paratrooper re-enactment in Normandy

Dozens of parachutists in World War II paratrooper replica uniforms and gear fill the skies near Ste. Mere-Eglise on Sunday, one day before the 72nd anniversary of the start of the D-Day invasion. Credit: Meg Jones

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
There were some truly remarkable men and women in action that day. My late grandfather was in the 101st and jumped behind the German lines the night before D-Day. It took decades before he would discuss it with non-veterans and even then it was a very somber retelling. His generation had a very different viewpoint of patriotism, duty, heroism, bravery and honor from my generation.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were some truly remarkable men and women in action that day. My late grandfather was in the 101st and jumped behind the German lines the night before D-Day. It took decades before he would discuss it with non-veterans and even then it was a very somber retelling. His generation had a very different viewpoint of patriotism, duty, heroism, bravery and honor from my generation.
God Bless. Grandma and Grandpa they both were in England with the Army (nurse and surgeon) and they both were there for D day.
They always talked to the kids about their experience and the fun stuff for the most part. They actually got married over there at the base.

One day my oldest asked Grandma (Grandpa was already gone)... why did you go to Europe to fight in WWII?

She stood quiet, took a minute and said:

- Because everyone was going and we though we have to help too, that was the right thing to do. You just went, signed up, and didn't think much about it.

..she paused, though some more for a second and added....

- I guess those days it was about "us", ...... today, it seems it is more about "me, me".

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
those generations who fought that fight were hard folks, the one's in the pacific were hard too. it was "what you do" at those times, hope we never see them again,,,the times and circumstances i mean. but daily it seems we're getting closer to the edge, if it comes i hope we can still react as necessary.

took my daughter to see Saving Private Ryan, the landing scene gave me the shakes like coming off an adrenaline jolt. the whole movie the audience was silent, at the end and after the credits no one moved for at least 10 minutes, and they were silent. finally a few folks started moving out, silently. they were just flat out stunned.

a fitting tribute to those brave souls, not many of them left now. they deserve our utmost respect and gratitude, the living and the dead

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
God Bless. Grandma and Grandpa they both were in England with the Army (nurse and surgeon) and they both were there for D day.
They always talked to the kids about their experience and the fun stuff for the most part. They actually got married over there at the base.

One day my oldest asked Grandma (Grandpa was already gone)... why did you go to Europe to fight in WWII?

She stood quiet, took a minute and said:

- Because everyone was going and we though we have to help too, that was the right thing to do. You just went, signed up, and didn't think much about it.

..she paused, though some more for a second and added....

- I guess those days it was about "us", ...... today, it seems it is more about "me, me".
we need to teach a class not sure it would do any good. But she was totally right.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Do any of our young people understand the " The Greater Good ". I think maybe the ones who volunteer to be in the service might. After asking a serving Sargent in the AF his recruits ask him why do I have to do what you say. Blew my mind just because you out rank me.
This has nothing to do with the military but one of my new employees asked me (he is 30) why do I have to do the SOP. Then proceeded to ask me why I though I Was right. Hum made because I have been doing this before you were born and it is a tried and true method. He said hum OK. It was an accounting thing about inventories and costs. Math is math, no fuzzy math here. All,the people out their working with these can't pay attention for more that 5 minutes folks wish us luck.
Sorry long day at work and back to a cool thread!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
we need to teach a class not sure it would do any good. But she was totally right.
I think the class is always good but not enough. These values have to be lived every day ... from first day light, at the dinner table and when we go to bed,
learned by watching and by example. The values and the importance of family, communities, friends and patriotism cannot be tough without giving daily example.
I think this is where, we as parents, have a very important role. Power points and videos are not going to do much good if those values are not at home and school.

When we had or first kid we bought a house one block from the grandparents so we had dinner together most days and the kids learned about some of those values
first hand. In that sense we were privileged and very lucky. I know that is not possible for everyone.
But anything one can do to expose young kids to everyone who is serving and/or doing good in the word, then there is less need for more explanations.

I always agreed with grandma. It seems to me a lot of people these days are experts about rights, but what about our obligations? Some might even
seen those "obligations" as politically incorrect. PC has replaced wholesome values, personal convictions, code of ethics and even simple common sense.

That is what is wrong with some of the "modern style" upbringing.

Never forget.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do any of our young people understand the " The Greater Good ". I think maybe the ones who volunteer to be in the service might. After asking a serving Sargent in the AF his recruits ask him why do I have to do what you say. Blew my mind just because you out rank me.
This has nothing to do with the military but one of my new employees asked me (he is 30) why do I have to do the SOP. Then proceeded to ask me why I though I Was right. Hum made because I have been doing this before you were born and it is a tried and true method. He said hum OK. It was an accounting thing about inventories and costs. Math is math, no fuzzy math here. All,the people out their working with these can't pay attention for more that 5 minutes folks wish us luck.
Sorry long day at work and back to a cool thread!
totally right. the greater good can be seen in many way and in many places.

I read the bible and even a few books from the Dali Lama and philosophy and I came to understand that it doesn't matter what religion, what belief, if one does the right things out of compassion and clear conviction, then that is a huge part of happiness.
Even if we go into the wild and take a look at the natural laws we can see those values all over the place in different forms. The animals defend their habitats and their herds. People in a remote village in the jungle
without many means or academic education know they have to help the family, the village, provide for the family and the village and defend your family and village at any cost. You work and fight for those who gave you life
and those who give meaning to your life. It doesn't take Einstein to see that this is how we evolved as species and got us really far.
Maybe all should understand the importance of that too, the importance of the basics.

·
Registered
690 Posts
D-Day

my Dad landed on Omaha as a Combat Engineer. He never said much about it and i can see why. But i think this country has been gutted. At least back then the political parties put their issues aside as did what was right for the country and world. A big salute to those that fought that war. And may the fallen RIP,,,

·
Registered
634 Posts
Both of my Grandfathers served in the Pacific. One lived through Iwo Jima (sp?) and the rest. The other was on a boat that didn't see much combat.

One of my Great uncles was one of the D-day heroes, later a tank commander.

None of them would talk about anything but the year after it was over before they were shipped home. They all signed up for duration of the war +1 year.

Two of them are still alive. Going to have to go see Uncle Harry when I'm up there next month.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Both of my Grandfathers served in the Pacific. One lived through Iwo Jima (sp?) and the rest. The other was on a boat that didn't see much combat.

One of my Great uncles was one of the D-day heroes, later a tank commander.

None of them would talk about anything but the year after it was over before they were shipped home. They all signed up for duration of the war +1 year.

Two of them are still alive. Going to have to go see Uncle Harry when I'm up there next month.
There is no question in my mind that generation understood the concept of the "Greater Good" . Today's young people want to know what is in them for me! They changes jobs only to get what they want. They also have no understanding of the "Greater Good" of society. I asked a person applying for job their answer was what are you going to do for me. Dang. I did not hire them. Not sure where this will,lead us after looking at how Bernie is doing with young people they want it to be hand to Them. God help us!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts