6.8 SPC Forums banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my first suppressor today and I am hitting the range first thing tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you guys on here have ran these thru your suppressors. I have noticed reloading them, that jackets are extremely thin. This concerns me a bit about jacket seperation in the suppressor. After the wait for it, I'd hate to ruin it on the first outing, so if any of you guys have experience w/these, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
237 Posts
Well I have pretty much shot all of the rounds that SSA has for the 6.8 SPC with my AAC SPR/M4 to include the 90gr. Varmint round with no problems. I'm still gathering up and researching all my reloading stuff, so I can't advise you on how the reloads work. This is what I plan on doing when I start reloading my rounds and would advise you to do the same. I would test fire the rounds you have reloaded without the suppressor to see if the round stabilize (no key holes on paper) first. Then if they punched through good with no key holes I would try them with the suppressor. If you have reloaded the round properly you should be fine.

*Side note* Be careful working up your loads with a suppressor. Your hot loads you shoot without your suppressor may be over pressured with the suppressor. Start low and work up your loads. I will say this, I have shot the commercial & combat/tactical loads out of my LWRCI 68SPC 16" SPCII 1-10 twist with & without my AAC SPR/M4 with no pressure signs at all. :mrgreen:

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I didn't have any problems w/any of the various SSA factory loads I ran thru it today and very minimal POI shift. I wanted to get some others experience before I braved my TNT reloads. I am also working up the loads like you suggested. I have had them ready and waiting for awhile now. Thanks.

· Registered
237 Posts
I know where your coming from with the holdback gitters. I'll have those also when I attempt to shoot my first reloads and even more so with the SPR/M4 on with those reloads for the first time. :wink:

· Registered
1,509 Posts
There is nothing about using a suppressor I have heard of that casued trouble with bullets. Nothing in the suppressor touches the bullet and the gases act the same way they do with a break being peeled away. Thin jackets are effected by the rifling and its angle. The faster the twist the more stress it puts on the jacket same with the depth or number. It is this issue that Berger had some issue with as they use J4 jackets which are rather thin and when used with the long high VLD bullets in barrels with considerably more twist and high powder charges (yielding higher vel) the combination caused enough stress to cause jacket separation and downrange desegregation of the bullets. The only time I have heard of bullets having trouble with suppressors was from misaligned threading that caused baffle hits. Also I have heard this happening by bad combos of super heavy long bullets with sub sonic charges not stabilizing the bullets enough and that to caused baffle hits.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shot around 50rnds of the TNTs w/out any problems yesterday. The thing that was worrying me, was that, the TNT's jacket seemed to have small vertical cracks in the jacket after running them thru the seating die(Hornandy). It was the only bullet that I've had that seem to do that. I used RoAus' advice and shot a target from 5ft out to about 25ft to make sure I wasn't tumbling. Thanks for the advice guys.

· Registered
237 Posts
Glad everything went well for you snaz. If you ever decide to work up sub-sonic loads and find a good combination post them here in the forums :)

· Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I shoot the reloaded TNT's through my JET suppressor all the time. They are very accurate and otherwise perform beautifully. there really is no need to worry about a jacket coming apart in the suppressor unless you are shooting a 40 grain VMax 5.56 in a 1 in 7" barrel at high velocity.

The little marks you see are the skiving cuts in the jacket which Speer places to assist in fragmentation. They are not stress marks.

Shoot more....enjoy. These are GREAT bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.