6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Packing up the truck and heading into the mountains to do some some shooting, what a chore it is to load all this stuff up in the truck, lol. taking guns/ammo cans, chrono, shooting bench, lead sled, steel target, reg target, shooting bag, shooting tool box, cooler/drinks, food, camera, sometimes ill take the portable reloading bench and do some load testing but today is just some factory ammo fun. :a37:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's a rough job, but I'm sure you'll manage somehow. LOL This afternoon I'll be blasting in my back yard, as always. Have fun Steve, I know I will.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
Sounds like a pile of fun. I'm at home... the endless list of chores needing my attention... in a 100+ yrs. old house. LOL:a07:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Upgraded Caldwell Stable Table

Nice warm day to cleanse the soul and sweat a little fat off, lol.
Here's the improved Caldwell stable table hillbilly style, still undecided if I want to make a new wooden top for it. I'm sure I'll have my answer by the end of the day. Shooting 115gr fusions at the moment at 2600fps from the 20 inch ARP tube.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'M very curious to hear your feedback on the Caldwell stable table after you've put it though the paces.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'M very curious to hear your feedback on the Caldwell stable table after you've put it though the paces.
The foot pad mods worked great. The extra bolts at 90deg from the factory bolts made it Stabler because it tightened both front to back and side to side, so another good mod. The seat is my favorite mod but you have to be positioned over one of the legs or it will tip. And for the top that's made of plastic, it's getting replaced with wood, the warmer it got outside the more it flexed when leaning against. I found some big pieces of butcher block type wood at Lowe's and will replace the top with that. I'll update my stable table thread once I replace the top and do touch up painting.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The foot pad mods worked great. The extra bolts at 90deg from the factory bolts made it Stabler because it tightened both front to back and side to side, so another good mod. The seat is my favorite mod but you have to be positioned over one of the legs or it will tip. And for the top that's made of plastic, it's getting replaced with wood, the warmer it got outside the more it flexed when leaning against. I found some big pieces of butcher block type wood at Lowe's and will replace the top with that. I'll update my stable table thread once I replace the top and do touch up painting.
That's exactly what I was expecting from the top not being stable due to thermal variations, primarily in higher temps but wanted to hear it from you. I usually have one foot in my mouth to start with and never enough room for the other:a24:.

I have the exact same seat on the front of my Edge duck boat, very comfortable and structurally ridged in the base.

I really like the mods you did on the feet and King post.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After i buy the wooden top I'll have about $350 in it. Can buy the BR Pivot for $459 which has the foot mod and the L shaped wooden top but it still has a round seat with just a little more padding, so if i had the BR Pivot and added the seat mod it would cost around $560.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
After i buy the wooden top I'll have about $350 in it. Can buy the BR Pivot for $459 which has the foot mod and the L shaped wooden top but it still has a round seat with just a little more padding, so if i had the BR Pivot and added the seat mod it would cost around $560.
For what you have in it I don't see how the upgraded model could compare even with the foot mod. From your pictures of your foot mods it looks to be .375" cold roll I can't imagine Caldwell using anything close to that.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Sounds like a pile of fun. I'm at home... the endless list of chores needing my attention... in a 100+ yrs. old house. LOL:a07:
RD you will not get bored!!!!!! :a21:

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
RD you will not get bored!!!!!! :a21:
Nope, no chance of that. Some pressure washing a few days ago, some scraping today, and it'll be time to throw some primer at it (section at a time). A little yard work yesterday, still have half the basement to deal with... no rest for the wicked. Now, trying to focus on exterior stuff while the weather holds.

So, Steve? Needing a little more real estate up top, with a little more rigidity?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Steve? Needing a little more real estate up top, with a little more rigidity?
Yeah a little bit, not so much side to side as lengthwise, the old top was 22 3/4"W x 34"L and the new top i just bought is a true 1" thick wood 24"W x 48"L. I'm gonna cut a little L shape at the end to rest my right elbow. Getting ready to cut it out and mount it so it'll be ready to use in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
Might consider screwing a cleat (scrap of wood) to lean into with the feet of the bi-pod.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
Today i just put my feet on the legs. Pics incoming on the new top!
Contortionist? I was talking about a cleat screwed into the table top... to push the bi-pod's feet into (not YOUR hooves, ya goof). :a04:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

If it tests out good tomorrow ill route the edges and make them round, add a strip of wood to the front for a pressure stop for the bi-pod, paint it then clear coat over that. but before the clear coat i have a few ideas :a37: I also need to order a few metric 10x1.5 T handle bolts to replace the regular bolts.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Contortionist? I was talking about a cleat screwed into the table top... to push the bi-pod's feet into (not YOUR hooves, ya goof). :a04:
Oh yeah. i already had that in mind, lol. Thanks for thinking about it though.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
That should do it. Looking good there Slick'm. :a08:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts