6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor this week and was anxious to shoot it. Mounted a Sightron Big Sky 3-12X42 on top, ran some patches through the bore and wiped everything down.

Since reloading the CM was a new caliber for me I ordered new RCBS dies and Starline small primer brass. I already had suitable powders and decided to try Reloder 16 powder first and CCI 450 primers.
Using the Alliant powder online load data I picked a starting charge of 42.0 grs of RL16 and seated the Hornady 129gr Interlock .020 off at 2.775" oal.

After sighting the scope by looking through the bore at 50yds, the first shot was on paper but low and right. Adjusted the scope and shot 2 more. I then set up my table at 100yds. First shot was a little high from the POA but good left and right, second and third shot was almost in the same hole as the first! Didn't get the chance to chrono this load but will do it later. Estimated velocity is around 2800fps.

Not too bad for a stock, out of the box rifle. I'm pretty pumped about it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
<p>
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .270. I love the rifle. Barnes 129 LRX shoots groups like yours with a 3100 fps mv. When I shoot for groups, I only shoot 2 then let the barrel cool because the 3rd round will wander as the barrel heats up. It is great to carry a 6 pound rifle when hunting.</p>

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the T3 Lite in .270 WSM. It is a great rifle and very light. The only downside is that it kicks like a mother. I had to put a Limbsaver on it because the first time I took it out and put a box through it I had a bruise for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Got to shoot it a little more this weekend at 130 yards ( Max yardage at my home range) and groups were about 1/2 MOA. My trigger pull is right at 3# out of the box so I adjusted it down to 2 1/2# which is as low as it will go. I'll see if that, along with tweaking the load, will get the groups down a little more. I have some property where I can shoot out to 400 yards after I get it dialed in. I'm anxious to see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tikka T3 Lite

I have the T3 Lite in .270 WSM. It is a great rifle and very light. The only downside is that it kicks like a mother. I had to put a Limbsaver on it because the first time I took it out and put a box through it I had a bruise for 2 weeks.
I have a T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag and yuuup, same issue. Accurate right from the start (1 MOA with factory loads) but beat me up until I put the Limbsaver on. A 6 lb rifle in a magnum caliber is a painful mixture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several Tikka's. I have the 6.5 Creedmoor in CTR, I have 25-06 and 204 in lite and 30-06 in superlite and they all shoot sub-MOA. I have shot the 20in barreled CTR to 1190 yards, its my range gun more than anything else shot a couple deer with it now it hits steel more than anything else.

Cant go wrong with Tikka.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag and yuuup, same issue. Accurate right from the start (1 MOA with factory loads) but beat me up until I put the Limbsaver on. A 6 lb rifle in a magnum caliber is a painful mixture.
I picked up a 4 port brake from http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/muzzle-brakes for my T3 Lite 300wm. Added ounces, louder yes, but VERY effective. Would do it again in a heartbeat. HAd it bead blasted, and almost looks like it belongs there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have several Tikka's. I have the 6.5 Creedmoor in CTR, I have 25-06 and 204 in lite and 30-06 in superlite and they all shoot sub-MOA. I have shot the 20in barreled CTR to 1190 yards, its my range gun more than anything else shot a couple deer with it now it hits steel more than anything else.

Cant go wrong with Tikka.
I just bought the Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor in CTR. I'm excited to shoot it long range.
Just waiting for a scope.Glad to hear all your Tikka rifles shoot so well.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I bought Warne scope rings and they have held POI for over 10 years through all my hunting activities. The Tikka, scope, and mounts have been so reliable, I only use 3 or 4 shots a year to harvest my game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts