6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what the community thinks about the round and it's future. Will it gain popularity? Is there a chance it will ever be used heavily for military applications?
I have had firearms since I was young but am currently building my first AR15. I decided to go with the 6.8 so I could take it hunting as well as home defense/SHTF if it ever comes to that. In my research for the right round, I ran across a few different things about why the 6.8 spc was developed, and what it could be. Some speculated on the possibility of military adoption of the round, in place of the 5.56, and others thought it may be used only for specific purposes. Some of these videos or articles were pretty old, and some were fairly recent. I guess I'm hoping there is still a chance that the military uses this cartridge on a large scale so the prices are cheaper and the ammunition easier to find during times like these. I would greatly appreciate any information on the 6.8 spc.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have enough ammo and makings to shoot mine for the rest of my days, so there's that. From what I have read, the military is considering a 6.8 cartridge but not the SPC. I assure you 6.8 SPC ammo is much easier to find today than it was 10 years ago when I built my first one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have enough ammo and makings to shoot mine for the rest of my days, so there's that. From what I have read, the military is considering a 6.8 cartridge but not the SPC. I assure you 6.8 SPC ammo is much easier to find today than it was 10 years ago when I built my first one.
Oh okay, well it is at least somewhat settling to hear that it has increased in availability over the years. Maybe my next step is to get into reloading, so I can shoot mine forever too. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Starline has brass now.
Cavity Back frequently has S&B brass.
There is usually some once fired in the EE.

As mentioned by bar-d, we are in great shape compared to 10yrs ago. I wish I could consolidate my brass supply to make reloading easier but I have significant quantities of Fed, pre-nosler SSA, and S&B. I bought 250 of starline to show my support when they released it.

There doesn't seem to be major supply crunchs until things like the current situation, and everything is crunched.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
The only thing the 6.8 SPC and the 6.8 the military is looking at have in common is the bullet diameter.

The 6.8 SPC is the cartridge that brought me back to the AR as the only reason to have an AR prior to the 6.8 SPC in my opinion was for plinking with surplus ammo or SHTF because of ammo availability. Even after carrying one for 20 years I did not take it seriously. The 6.8 SPC changed that as it is a seriously powered cartridge. The 6.8 SPC is to the AR what the 30-30 is to the lever action rifle and it is in the same power class

Availability of ammo is pretty good and cost is not any different for comparable loadings. People constantly complain that the cost of 6.8 SPC ammo is high compared to "others". What others are they referring to? Yes, it does cost more than 5.56 Ball or surplus but if you pick 5.56 loads using premium bullets comparable to the loads in 6.8 you will find them comparable in price.

The 6.8 SPC is similar in performance to the .250 Savage, the .257 Roberts, and even the .243 Winchester with heavy bullets within 300 yards. With the right bullets this range can be extended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I read, the happier I am that I went the 6.8spc. My timing, however, was not optimal (which I knew going into it). Thanks again for the info. All very helpful, as no one I talk to elsewhere knows anything about this cartridge. Keep it comin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts